Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2017 2:38:44 PM EDT
Saw a thread about Alfa Proj revolvers on another forum. Any thoughts on these?
The Czech don't have the same rep that Spain & Brazil does with turning out poor quality crap, so think these will be OK for general use.

Czechpoint USA site

.38 Special 4" barrel with alloy frame for $299

.32 S&W Long 3" with alloy frame for $290

I'm sorely tempted to take a finish reamer and deepen the cylinder from .32 S&W out to .357 Federal .
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Saw a thread about Alfa Proj revolvers on another forum. Any thoughts on these?
The Czech don't have the same rep that Spain & Brazil does with turning out poor quality crap, so think these will be OK for general use.

Czechpoint USA site

.38 Special 4" barrel with alloy frame for $299
https://www.czechpoint-usa.com/files/files/produkty/1378676161_841_reduced.jpg

.32 S&W Long 3" with alloy frame for $290
https://www.czechpoint-usa.com/files/files/produkty/731_600.jpg

I'm sorely tempted to take a finish reamer and deepen the cylinder from .32 S&W out to .357 Federal .
View Quote

I like the way you're thinking.  It would be interesting to see if the cylinder is long enough ( I would bet it is) and if the frame could take the punishment from 327 Federal cartridge.  I think the 327 Federal could be an interesting pistol/carbine combo cartridge.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I like the way you're thinking.  It would be interesting to see if the cylinder is long enough ( I would bet it is) and if the frame could take the punishment from 327 Federal cartridge.  I think the 327 Federal could be an interesting pistol/carbine combo cartridge.
View Quote

Practice with .32 S&W Long.
Use .327 Federal for 'social purposes'.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Weird... That 9mm with short cylinder and long forcing cone
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Practice with .32 S&W Long.
Use .327 Federal for 'social purposes'.
View Quote

.327 in a foreign gun, made with an alloy receiver. No thank you. If you look at the .327s that have been produced, you won't find a single lightweight one. This is likely due to the fact the cartridge has in the realm of 10k more PSI than .357 Magnum.

Safe with .32 H&R Magnum, maybe.

.327, wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

So they don't have to make a separate frame to accommodate the shorter cylinder.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have seen similar on some custom S&W 627 in 38 Super and 625 in 45 ACP.  If you're shooting a lot of fast double action (ICORE, USPSA and similar shooting) reducing the mass, an thus mass moment of inertia, of the cylinder reduces the double action trigger pull weight (when shoot fast not slow) a little bit and reduces wear and tear on the pawl and cylinder lock since you don't have to accelerate/decelerate the heavier cylinder.  It's not a huge improvement but noticeable.

I would like to see the pawl as the star on the cylinder is made up of what appears to be pins inserted rather than a machined geometry.  

I also noticed that the 32 S&W long, 38 Special, and 357 Mag are all recess cylinders.  That is something that S&W did at one time but only on their magnums.  I don't think S&W ever recess 32 S&W-L or 38 Special cylinders.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have seen similar on some custom S&W 627 in 38 Super and 625 in 45 ACP.  If you're shooting a lot of fast double action (ICORE, USPSA and similar shooting) reducing the mass, an thus mass moment of inertia, of the cylinder reduces the double action trigger pull weight (when shoot fast not slow) a little bit and reduces wear and tear on the pawl and cylinder lock since you don't have to accelerate/decelerate the heavier cylinder.  It's not a huge improvement but noticeable.

I would like to see the pawl as the star on the cylinder is made up of what appears to be pins inserted rather than a machined geometry.  

I also noticed that the 32 S&W long, 38 Special, and 357 Mag are all recess cylinders.  That is something that S&W did at one time but only on their magnums.  I don't think S&W ever recess 3 2S&-LL or 38 Special cylinders.
View Quote

You're correct. This went back to the old ballon head cases, to give the brass a little more support. It was only needed in the 'high performance' cartridges, and .22LR to give the case some extra protection if there was a blowout.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So they don't have to make a separate frame to accommodate the shorter cylinder.
View Quote

At least they went to that "length".  S&W just cuts 9mm chambers and leave the cylinder full length.

I wonder if they actually use 9mm barrels of are just using the same dimension as their 38/357 barrel.

Given what I see they might actually be worth taking a risk and buying one for all the more expensive they are.  Are there any current reviews in English?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

At least they went to that "length".  S&W just cuts 9mm chambers and leave the cylinder full length.

I wonder if they actually use 9mm barrels of are just using the same dimension as their 38/357 barrel.

Given what I see they might actually be worth taking a risk and buying one for all the more expensive they are.  Are there any current reviews in English?
View Quote

Ruger does/did the same thing. My SP101 had the full length cylinder, but the barrel did slug properly, at .356". I know some people liked the longer cylinder to ream out for 9x23 Winchester.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I've owned two. The 22lr and the 357. Fit and finish were great, really seemed well made. But the DA triggers were pretty meh.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#11]
An alloy .22 with a 9 round cylinder for three bills....
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
An alloy .22 with a 9 round cylinder for three bills....
View Quote

That was my thought. With the colibri or super colibri ammo, its a lot of fun to play with in your backyard or garage.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
.327 in a foreign gun, made with an alloy receiver. .....  the cartridge has in the realm of 10k more PSI than .357 Magnum.

Safe with .32 H&R Magnum, maybe.  .327, wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
View Quote
Saw that when looking at cartridge dimensions and totally understand your concern. Not going to be me -=>>

What is your opinion of going to the much older .32-20 which was introduced during the era of cast iron frames with a Maximum CUP of 16000 CUP?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Saw that when looking at cartridge dimensions and totally understand your concern. Not going to be me -=>>

What is your opinion of going to the much older .32-20 which was introduced during the era of cast iron frames with a Maximum CUP of 16000 CUP?
View Quote

I'd possibly attempt .32 H&R Magnum, that way you can still shoot 32 ACP, Short, and Long. S&W did make .32 H&R in both Al and Sc frames, with Steel and Titanium cylinders, so it might be okay.

I would say 32-20 would be fine, especially considering you can't find 'hot' 32-20 anymore, but if you do that, you're stuck with only 32-30.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Just buy a 357 Mag and a 32 S&W Long.  Move the cylinder and barrel to the 357 Mag frame and bore the chambers out to 327 Federal.

327 Mag is no harder on a frame than 357; the thrust force from 327 Mag is basically the same as 357 Mag.

327 Fed chamber diameter of .341 and pressure of 45,000 psi is ~4100lb of thrust

357 Mag chamber diameter of .381 and pressure of 35,000 psi is ~4000lb of thrust

Hoop stress in the cylinder is likely less since the cylinders are the same overall diameter so there is more material around the smaller ID of the 327 chamber that extra material and smaller ID should more than offsets the higher operating pressure.

Getting sort of expensive at this point though...  
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:54:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Agreed about reaming it to .32H&R but I wouldn't want to try my luck with .327.  You can get some good loadings in .32H&R or work up your own.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#18]
What we really need is an affordable 9mm with 3 inch barrel an aluminum frame. Preferably 6 shots
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What we really need is an affordable 9mm with 3 inch barrel an aluminum frame. Preferably 6 shots
View Quote

Ruger LCR.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:22:21 PM EDT
[#20]
If a 9mm with a 4.5" barrel was available in the US I might be tempted to buy one, but after looking I've only seen them for sale in Canada.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top