Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2017 9:26:11 PM EDT
So my buddy who is new to firearms was over and we were pulling some guns out of the safe to take to the range. I handed him a revolver to put in the case and before I could say anything he opened the cylinder and flipped it shut by flicking his wrist. I know this is not healthy for a revolver. Is there anyway to tell if it was damaged as a result? Revolver in question is a gp100
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#1]
SO... you failed to explain how to handle a revolver and then let him handle it?

A hard lesson learned, indeed!  Never assume someone knows how to handle a particular weapon.

Only once and not violently slammed... probably undamaged.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:20:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So my buddy who is new to firearms was over and we were pulling some guns out of the safe to take to the range. I handed him a revolver to put in the case and before I could say anything he opened the cylinder and flipped it shut by flicking his wrist. I know this is not healthy for a revolver. Is there anyway to tell if it was damaged as a result? Revolver in question is a gp100
View Quote

Its ruined, send it to me for proper disposal.  

Flicking them shut (hard) is a bit hard on a revolver and will eventually cause problems but what is really hard on revolver is when people spin the cylinder and then flick them shut.  That is really hard on the cylinder stop and cylinder stop notches in the cylinder.  That will cause timing and chamber skip issues in relatively short order.  Just shutting them fast is not all that bad.  Look up some videos of guys shooting IDPA, USPSA, or ICORE competition.  They open and closer their revolvers pretty fast and hard and don't have problems.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:25:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SO... you failed to explain how to handle a revolver and then let him handle it?
A hard lesson learned, indeed!  Never assume someone knows how to handle a particular weapon.
View Quote

Agree.

But you need to actually inspect and test for whether there's been damage done to the cylinder, or the cylinder contact points inside the frame. This procedure will involve having your asshole buddy present.

First, make sure your revolver is unloaded .... Then stand next to your buddy while slowly opening the cylinder of the revolver. That way, you can both look it over together ...

Carefully inspect all surfaces and edges of the cylinder, as well as all the contact points of the cylinder latch. Close the cylinder carefully and then check its rotational integrity by cocking and then thumbing down the hammer.  Check also to see if there's a tight lockup of cylinder-to-barrel (no excessive "play"), once the hammer dropped. Hold the trigger rearward as you do this.

If all above the above checks out fine, with no discernible issues, then you're ready to proceed to the final step.

With the pistol in the hand your normally shoot with, squeeze hard on the grips, keeping your trigger finger straight and parallel with the barrel.  Swing the revolver up energetically,  and slam it forcefully against your buddy's forehead being sure that it impacts hard on his brow line   - the area just above the eyes. You get extra points if the front sight digs a trench line there and claws up a lot of skin. Ditto if there's also profuse bleeding.

When he regains consciousness, explain to your buddy that in the future he needs to treat all firearms that aren't his with greater respect.

You can thank me later.    
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Agree.

But you need to actually inspect and test for whether there's been damage done to the cylinder, or the cylinder contact points inside the frame. This procedure will involve having your asshole buddy present.

First, make sure your revolver is unloaded .... Then stand next to your buddy while slowly opening the cylinder of the revolver. That way, you can both look it over together ...

Carefully inspect all surfaces and edges of the cylinder, as well as all the contact points of the cylinder latch. Close the cylinder carefully and then check its rotational integrity by cocking and then thumbing down the hammer.  Check also to see if there's a tight lockup of cylinder-to-barrel (no excessive "play"), once the hammer dropped. Hold the trigger rearward as you do this.

If all above the above checks out fine, with no discernible issues, then you're ready to proceed to the final step.

With the pistol in the hand your normally shoot with, squeeze hard on the grips, keeping your trigger finger straight and parallel with the barrel.  Swing the revolver up energetically,  and slam it forcefully against your buddy's forehead being sure that it impacts hard on his brow line   - the area just above the eyes. You get extra points if the front sight digs a trench line there and claws up a lot of skin. Ditto if there's also profuse bleeding.

When he regains consciousness, explain to your buddy that in the future he needs to treat all firearms that aren't his with greater respect.

You can thank me later.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.

You can thank me later.    

Lol. Thanks. I have looked over used revolvers and see that the cylinder notches on some have a little preening in the stop. Is this what has caused it or that preening normal wear with use on the cylinder notches? Just curious for when I look over used revolvers.

On a side note the gun looks fine. There is no more movement in the cylinder to frame lock than what was present before.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going with if it's the only time that's happened to a GP100 then there is very little likelihood that it was damaged.

But he needs an intense browbeating for pulling that shit on your gun.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't worry I teamed him good. He felt really bad.

I checked the cylinder alignment with the barrel with a flashlight and it looked good. The notch that catches the cylinder at the bottom of the inside part of the frame is beat up looking. The notches on the cylinder look good. One has a bit more wear on the outside edge but it wouldn't be noticeable u less u are really inspecting it with a flashlight. Hopefully it should be good to go
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:06:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Are you seriously that worried about that damaging your GP100?

Those things are built like tanks. Yeah, don't abuse it but one time is fine, I assure you.

I've done worse to my GP100.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#8]
My buddy did the same thing to my 629, and he is a gun guy and should know better.  I was pissed.

I would not worry too much about it since it was only done once.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the feedback. Like I said, all looks good so will just roll with it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Paranoia? You can't hurt a revolver doing this once. Agree with poster who said flipping a spinning cylinder shut is what can cause damage if done repeatedly- key word repeatedly. When I practice with my carry revolver or shoot an icore match the revolver is not babied in any way and my primary icore revolver is somewhere around 65 years old and is still mechanically sound.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#11]
OP might be a bit new to guns too, so let's not give him too much of a hard time for reaching out for the thoughts of others. It's a reasonable question for someone with lesser experience to ask.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#12]
My old roomie did that to my 28 a couple times
I wouldn't ever consider doing to someone else's property
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Your revolver is FINE.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#14]
What I want to know is how the sound effects man in the movies gets the ratcheting sound every time someone spins an open cylinder? ??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top