Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2016 7:00:40 PM EDT
First, I will say this is for my girlfriend.
Second, she has shot several handguns (glocks, M&Ps, 1911s, H&Ks, sigs, and plenty of others) and has never really liked any of them. She's shot more guns than me probably. Her primary complaint is that the grip feels too big in her small hands.

She shot a colt python and someone else's revolver this last weekend at the range and said that she really wanted a revolver when she got home and that revolvers were the first handguns she actually enjoyed shooting. I have no idea what other revolver she shot and neither does she.

My question is: what would be a good revolver to pick up that has an ambidexterous or left handed cylinder release? It would be used only at the range and realistically see less than 50-100 rounds a year. I would like to keep it less than $400-500 and buying used or waiting for a good deal isn't an issue.

I would prefer 9mm just for ammo stockpiling reasons but don't mind going with 38 spc / 357 mag if there are better options.

Edit: left handed/ambidexterous no longer needed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know of any left-handed revolvers but am curious as to what one would be.

What's the gun for? Concealed carry? Home and car defense? Range toy? It'll make a difference in what gets suggested.

Cheers!
-JC

ETA: It looks like Charter Arms makes some lefties.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#2]
In more than 40 years of reading about, looking at, owning, and shooting handguns I do not recall ever seeing a left-handed revolver.  Not saying such an animal doesn't exist, but if they do, they are going to be rare and not made by any mainstream manufacturer.  ETA based on poster above: if Charter Arms does have lefties, it may pay to look into them.

Regardless, my recommendation for almost any revolver usage is the same: steel medium frame, 4" barrel, .357 Magnum.  Fixed or adjustable sights as preferred, but my preference for a one-gun stable would be adjustable.  

If you can find one in good shape, used S&Ws in the 13/65 or 19/66 would be good.  Likewise Ruger Speed or Security Sixes.  Colt would be the Troopers or Pythons.  If you are looking for new, there are choices to be had in the both Smith & Wesson and Ruger lines.

DO NOT LET HER BUY AN AIRWEIGHT OR SIMILAR REVOLVER UNLESS SHE HAS THE CHANCE TO SHOOT IT FIRST!  Even for experienced shooters, they aren't the most pleasant guns to shoot.

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#3]
She's ruined after shooting the Python.  Might as well sit her down and tell her she's shot the Grail, and it's gonna take at least $2k to scratch that itch.

Does/did anyone even make a LH revolver?

Look at some of the S&W K- or N-frame offerings.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#4]
The S&W Bodyguard .38 has an ambi cylinder release, though not really a range toy
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
First, I will say this is for my girlfriend.
Second, she has shot several handguns (glocks, M&Ps, 1911s, H&Ks, sigs, and plenty of others) and has never really liked any of them. She's shot more guns than me probably. Her primary complaint is that the grip feels too big in her small hands.

She shot a colt python and someone else's revolver this last weekend at the range and said that she really wanted a revolver when she got home and that revolvers were the first handguns she actually enjoyed shooting. I have no idea what other revolver she shot and neither does she.

My question is: what would be a good revolver to pick up that has an ambidexterous or left handed cylinder release? It would be used only at the range and realistically see less than 50-100 rounds a year. I would like to keep it less than $400-500 and buying used or waiting for a good deal isn't an issue.

I would prefer 9mm just for ammo stockpiling reasons but don't mind going with 38 spc / 357 mag if there are better options.
View Quote

I would look at an original S&W 36/J Frame with the thinner wood grips, not the new bulky rubber ones.

Also consider a revolver in .327 Magnum. .327 Magnum has ballistics near .357 Magnum, and the .327 can chamber and fire any .32 caliber, to include .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum, and even .32 ACP.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would look at an original S&W 36/J Frame with the thinner wood grips, not the new bulky rubber ones.

Also consider a revolver in .327 Magnum. .327 Magnum has ballistics near .357 Magnum, and the .327 can chamber and fire any .32 caliber, to include .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum, and even .32 ACP.
View Quote

.327 is a wildcat round with mostly discontinued models and a couple very expensive current production models with little choice... which will probably soon be discontinued.  That's a caliber that should be a 10th or 20th gun in a collection, not the first.

What constitutes ambidextrous to her OP?  The side the cylinder comes out or location of the cylinder release?  Aside from Charter Arms, Chiappa makes the Rhino that has cylinder release on the back where the thumb can get it from either side. (Cylinder comes out the left side.)  They make them in 9mm and the recoil is somewhat easier to handle with the 6 oclock position of the barrel.  Of course, you need to watch the gap... and it's an oddball gun in a lot of other ways.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:33:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I think Charter Arms made a LH revolver.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:59:39 PM EDT
[#8]
The LH cylinder release pretty much limits you to Charter. I bought my wife a CA Pink Lady. Its a nice, light revolver but shooting it with anything but light target loads is like a minature IED going off in your hand.
I'll tell you a good value in revolvers are the S&W police turn-ins. You can find them sometimes at Budsgunshop.Com or Allen' Armory. They're medium frames and the grips aren't huge.

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 1:24:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
She's ruined after shooting the Python.  Might as well sit her down and tell her she's shot the Grail, and it's gonna take at least $2k to scratch that itch.

View Quote

This, the Python is in a class all it's own. But the S&W K/L/N and mid 1969 and earlier Colt Troopers should please her at 1/4-1/2 the price of a Python.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#10]
The only left handed charter I found was the 93830 airweights

Quoted:

What's the gun for?
Cheers!
-JC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What's the gun for?
Cheers!
-JC.

This will be a range gun. No other intended uses.

Quoted:
Quoted:

What constitutes ambidextrous to her OP?  The side the cylinder comes out or location of the cylinder release?  

She's left handed. I guess the main thing would be for the cylinder release location either be on the right side or on top of the revolver. Although, couldn't she theoretically hit the (standard) cylinder release by moving her right hand over her left and hitting the release that way?

This revolver is strictly meant to be a range gun.

Edit: Looks like I found my answer. Standard (right handed) revolvers are back on the table!
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#11]
4" GP100, blue or stainless or better yet a K/L framed S&W same barrel length.

It will never be as good as a python! But it won't cost $2000 either.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Ruger SP101  3"

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Ruger speed six or

Bill Jordans favorite the Smith model 19   4" barrel

I think a model 10 round butt in a three inch barrel this is the G19 of revolvers

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#14]
If you knew what you were doing and had your own general purpose revolver experience, you would look for a near new older S&W Model:

10, 10 heavy barrel, 13, 15, 19 or their stainless equivalent 64-65-66.

These in 2"--2 1/2"--3"--4" depending on CCW or general fun.

All in .38/.357 using .38 Special in all.

All at any major gun show.

For a shooter girl, forget your budget and forget your 9mm idea.

And for Gawd's sake, NOTHING Airweight.

Unless she loves the steel ones but wants a light one for CCW.

Then find a 2" or 4" Model 12.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766346_-1_757779_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y.      (The Glock 19 of revolvers)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_15.   (Absolute class)

http://sheriffjimwilson.com/2012/02/17/a-classic-sixgun/
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Perhaps a dan wesson style release would work better for a lefty as well
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:28:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or an old S&W Safety Hammerless.

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:32:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you knew what you were doing and had your own general purpose revolver experience, you would look for a near new older S&W Model:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766346_-1_757779_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y.      (The Glock 19 of revolvers)

View Quote

Good post
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:35:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

You forgot the 67, stainless version of the 15.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 5:19:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm left handed, and in my experience, the Dan Wesson cylinder release is easiest, followed closely by Ruger. I currently have a Security Six and a LCR, and love both.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#21]
To me the answer is a Model 10.  Or any K frame with a 3 - 4" barrel.  Anything over 4" starts to get nose heavy.  I guess an N frame might work too.  586/686

I actually prefer smith triggers because they don't stack like a Colt's.  But I've never shot anything larger than my Colt DS.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

She's not ruined after shooting the Python.  Might as well sit her down and tell her she's shot the overated wheelgun , and it's gonna take a decent Smith  to learn what a reasonable trigger feels like.

View Quote
There is a reason back when Action pistol was shot with revolvers that almost everyone used a K frame Smith as a base gun.

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#23]
SInce the Colt Python was mentioned, I'll add this. Although it won't be equal to a factory tuned Colt Python, you might consider a S&W model 27 and have a good gunsmith polish up the trigger and hammer actions. A good gunsmith make really clean/smooth up a S&W to a really nice, smooth trigger pull.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#24]
An N frame might be kind of big for a woman's hands.  Reaching the trigger and such.  I don't know.  It might not.  My wife kind of finds a K frame a little big and actually can pull the trigger on a J frame easier, even though it's a couple of pounds heavier.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Based on how I learned to work a revolver, I would think the Dan Wesson would be far harder for a lefty than the others, because you need to swap hands to start the reload process. In the Ruger/Smith world, a lefty can push the cylinder release with a trigger finger, then swap the weapon to their right hand to dump empties.

However, I prefer to dump empties with my left hand, thumb on the ejector rod, and middle two fingers through the frame and around the cylinder.

Previously, though, I would put the revolver (cylinder open) in my right hand, and hold the gun in such a way that I used the middle finger of my right hand to work the ejection. I have also seen people use their palm to work the ejector. There are many ways to do it, she is going to have to find one that works for her.

-shooter
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Based on how I learned to work a revolver, I would think the Dan Wesson would be far harder for a lefty than the others, because you need to swap hands to start the reload process. In the Ruger/Smith world, a lefty can push the cylinder release with a trigger finger, then swap the weapon to their right hand to dump empties.

However, I prefer to dump empties with my left hand, thumb on the ejector rod, and middle two fingers through the frame and around the cylinder.

Previously, though, I would put the revolver (cylinder open) in my right hand, and hold the gun in such a way that I used the middle finger of my right hand to work the ejection. I have also seen people use their palm to work the ejector. There are many ways to do it, she is going to have to find one that works for her.

-shooter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-shooter

I would imagine a lefty could wrap their non-dominant hand around the crane of the revolver and actuate the cylinder release, while using the thumb of the same hand to press out the cylinder. Then they could transition fairly seemlessly to holding the cylinder with the same hand, using their dominant hand to manipulate the ejector rod and load the gun.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#27]
If this revolver is only going to be fired 50-100 times per year, seems the cylinder release being on the wrong side wouldn't be all that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

As someone who grew up shooting a 60s Python, I'm not so sure I agree, although I certainly can appreciate the sentiment, as well as the reality of what's between the lines.

As sexy looking, amazingly crafted and silky smooth as a Python of that era is, shooting my no-dash 686 is an equally enjoyable experience. A side benefit is that I don't get acid reflux from shooting, maintaining, customizing and/or repairing it myself. Pocketing the $1300+ difference, few people would throw the old 686 down the driveway because the Python simply soured them on anything else.

There's not much else like those Pythons, save for a S&W Registered Magnum, a model 27, and a Korth, but I guess that's open for eternal debate

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Your price range precludes buying a Colt, but previous posters suggestions of a Ruger GP100, SP101 or a K and L Frame S&W are all good choices. The trigger pull of a Smith and Wesson is generally better IMHO. My wife has small hands and really likes shooting round butt S&W K frames like this Model 10 and it's stainless counterpart the Model 64, I prefer 3" versions for the heavy barrel, they have a real nice balance and a decent sight radius.

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Been looking for a good mod 10, or maybe 15. buds has them for $325, but what would you pay locally for one? Found one at a pawn shop for $400, thinking about offering $350. Its in 90% shape with good lockup.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Sounds reasonable.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 3:37:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Been looking for a good mod 10, or maybe 15. buds has them for $325, but what would you pay locally for one? Found one at a pawn shop for $400, thinking about offering $350. Its in 90% shape with good lockup.
View Quote

Do it, make an offer and take her home. By the time you pay any applicable shipping and FFL fees on the PD trade-in gun you can't inspect ahead of buying, you're better off buying the one you have in hand.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#33]
bought a Smith 38 revolver today at a pawn shop.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420268

According to that listing , my revolver was made in 1967. I believe it to be a k frame model 15. Adjustable sites, 4 inch blue, "38 S&W special" on the barrel.

73213.   7 is the id number on it, when using the cylinder release.

bought it from a pawn shop for $325

" />
" />

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 5:12:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
bought a Smith 38 revolver today at a pawn shop.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420268

According to that listing , my revolver was made in 1967. I believe it to be a k frame model 15. Adjustable sites, 4 inch blue, "38 S&W special" on the barrel.

73213.   7 is the id number on it, when using the cylinder release.

bought it from a pawn shop for $325

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1596/13730945/24697526/412076573.jpg" />
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1596/13730945/24697526/412076574.jpg" />

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1596/13730945/24697526/412076575.jpg
View Quote
That girl need's some good TLC with a cleaning and some lube.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

.327 is a wildcat round with mostly discontinued models and a couple very expensive current production models with little choice... which will probably soon be discontinued.  That's a caliber that should be a 10th or 20th gun in a collection, not the first.

What constitutes ambidextrous to her OP?  The side the cylinder comes out or location of the cylinder release?  Aside from Charter Arms, Chiappa makes the Rhino that has cylinder release on the back where the thumb can get it from either side. (Cylinder comes out the left side.)  They make them in 9mm and the recoil is somewhat easier to handle with the 6 oclock position of the barrel.  Of course, you need to watch the gap... and it's an oddball gun in a lot of other ways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SAAMI
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top