BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ruger's customer service has always been second to none in my experience. Quite attentive in fact.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Based on my own and my father's experience with Ruger CS, if you manage to wear out a barrel there's even odds they'll just send you a new one. They sent my dad new parts for a gun that they hadn't made in decades by that point (a Security Six whose adjustable rear sight had broken) with no questions asked and no money charged.
Ruger's customer service has always been second to none in my experience. Quite attentive in fact.
I would agree with that. Best in the business that I've had to deal with.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 1:00:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Seeing that this is a chassis gun, I would bet that it won't be long until there are 3D printed pdw shells with braces on them.

Cost is more than I had hoped, but still pretty interested, especially if ammo price drops a little.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 1:22:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

back to ya.

Folks chop grips on their 34s and run 26 mags.  Why would you not chop the grip on this?
View Quote
IMO the appeal is increased ammo capacity over standard service calibers along with reduced recoil. Add armor penetration or rifle like ballistics as well.

The 5.7 is going to be inherently harder to carry than a standard service caliber simply due to the the dimensions. While chopping the grip likely still allows it to carry more ammo comparatively and is probably still easier to manage due to lighter recoil, it just seems to defeat the common mindset of the gun.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 1:34:21 AM EDT
[#4]
We have ARFCOMers who carry 5 round .38 Specials b/c they're easy to conceal.  Chop the grip, ship one 12 and two 20s with it, make it in FDE and call it the Pro, they'd sell like mad.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 1:47:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We have ARFCOMers who carry 5 round .38 Specials b/c they're easy to conceal.  Chop the grip, ship one 12 and two 20s with it, make it in FDE and call it the Pro, they'd sell like mad.
View Quote
I'm normally a fan of things with multipurpose uses/configurations but despite wanting to like the SR9 I couldn't help but hate the "it's a compact! but wait there's more!" aspect of it.

If you're going to do that just offer a full size and compact. If a compact owner feels it is necessary to slap in a full size mag in a pinch, that's great, but otherwise I'm never going to gripe about a real full size grip if I'm actually using it. CCW? Sure it can kinda suck to carry but that's why I have more than one pistol.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 1:59:30 AM EDT
[#6]
It's gonna suck to carry, no way around it.  Particularly since you can't chop the bbl.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 2:27:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cool pics, thanks for sharing them!
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 6:39:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't imagine why anyone would want to shoot subsonic rounds in this caliber.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same reason they shoot .32 ACP through a can, or subsonic 5.56. The round retains significant lethality as a sub.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Same reason they shoot .32 ACP through a can, or subsonic 5.56. The round retains significant lethality as a sub.
View Quote
Bingo. 22lr is a short, fat piece of lead. Subsonic 5.56 and 5.7 rounds deploy completely different projectiles that behave differently than a subsonic 22lr.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How are you guys defining lethality?
View Quote
I'm merely stating that better constructed subsonic projectiles in 5.7/5.56 perform vastly different than a subsonic .22lr that typically in ballistic media makes ice pick wounds.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Could be a good gun for a trapline with non-expanding bullets.

Some states require rimfires for that, though I think.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Do people still trap?

I guess there's some practicality for a trapper although I'd probably use a 22 or 22 Mag for that even if it wasn't required by locality.
View Quote
They sure do.

I kinda like it for a varmint gun when toting a bigger rifle for medium/big game. Something to pop a coyote or racoon with instead of the old '06.

Edit: or by itself it could be your carry weapon and pull double duty as a truck/tractor gun for a lot of people.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bingo. 22lr is a short, fat piece of lead. Subsonic 5.56 and 5.7 rounds deploy completely different projectiles that behave differently than a subsonic 22lr.
The subs still pen over FBI standard after going through barriers, and I *think* (on a phone waiting for a movie to start so don't have the test data handy) they still tumble enough to cause massive damage.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I talked to Flux Defense briefly today.  They've had some requests for the grip module/stock assembly and are interested in it.  Don't know yet how far this interest might go but hopefully it is a sign of things to come.
View Quote
I think the R-57 makes a lot more sense as a PDW candidate than the SIG P320. I know the SIG was a relatively safe first offering since it is US standard issue and not at risk of disappearing, but a 5.7mm gun is just begging for a proper braced PDW. There are many braced 9mm pistols, there is exactly one in 5.7mm (CMMG). There is a lot of room for competition.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Subsonic ammo through a suppressor is fun.  It makes it sound like a movie gun, and might even be movie quiet.

My American Rimfire w/ Spectre II is hilariously quiet with subsonic ammo.

For varmint control, a subsonic 60+gr bullet through a suppressor would be nice to have.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So I guess I've seen/read/heard some different stuff.  Does 62-ish grain stabilize from the 1x9 at ~ 900 fps?  If so, what's the heaviest it'll stabilize?

I guess it doesn't matter currently since the R57 is not available threaded.  It would be an easy deal for Ruger to change twist if and when a factory threaded option comes out.  
View Quote
According to the JBM Ballistics calculator, it should be, but barely.  I used .862" as bullet length.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

According to the JBM Ballistics calculator, it should be, but barely.  I used .862" as bullet length.
View Quote
A lot of it is bullet design too.
FN has a 62gr FMJ bullet that stabilizes very well in the FSN and P90. The 55gr FMJ it replaced was a SMK, and had spotty stability in the FSN barrel. RRWS makes a 57gr expanding copper round that's very long and stabilizes very well.
I have attempted M855A1 at 1300 fps, no stability in 1:9. I have successfully made 855/A1 work well in 10.5" 1:7 barrel

M855A1 Bullet in 5.7x28mm? Will it work?
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm guessing it will work, but generally the 5.7 40gr loads will top out in the 1950-1975fps range. So probably very similar performance
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#29]
I got a Five Seven years ago for $690, liked it a lot but divorce put it on the chopping block and sold it. Nowadays after getting back on my feet I priced the Five Seven and
in my opinion it is not worth over 800 bucks. I will be buying a Ruger because I like the round and the price of the gun will be reasonable.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Are the guns actually supposed to come with one optics mount plate, or are they all separate accessories?  Mine did not come with a mount, just the gun, two mags, a lock, and manual.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Optic plate is not included.

You should be able to find plates on the Shop Ruger website.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are the guns actually supposed to come with one optics mount plate, or are they all separate accessories?  Mine did not come with a mount, just the gun, two mags, a lock, and manual.
Optic plate is not included.

You should be able to find plates on the Shop Ruger website.
since the optic plates are optic-specific, it would be a waste of money to put one with every gun from the factory
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yep.

Unfortunately the only plate that's available as of 1-4-2020 is for the Burris or Vortex.

http://shopruger.com/Ruger-57-Optic-Adapter-Plate-Burris-Vortex/productinfo/90720/

I guess people wanting a budget pistol will use a budget red dot? Lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
since the optic plates are optic-specific, it would be a waste of money to put one with every gun from the factory
Yep.

Unfortunately the only plate that's available as of 1-4-2020 is for the Burris or Vortex.

http://shopruger.com/Ruger-57-Optic-Adapter-Plate-Burris-Vortex/productinfo/90720/

lol, that's more faith in consumers than I have

My dad has a high-end competition .22 and he put a freaking NCstar or (similar POS) RDS on it, and then wonders why he doesn't like the pistol-RDS concept...
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

That’s fine.  I was confused since many of the reviews show it with a mounted micro RDS, but I guess those are just review guns they sent out.

I see Ruger has extra mags on the website too.  $50 each or a pack of two for $70.  Hmm, let me think which to get......
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#36]

I see Ruger has extra mags on the website too. $50 each or a pack of two for $70. Hmm, let me think which to get......  
View Quote
Hopefully that price will come down.  My first price check for FN magazines was $35.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#37]
I'll be satisfied using my ammo in my PS90 for now and wait for the price to settle by summer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I put forty more rounds through the R57 this afternoon. The gun continues to run well and has been completely reliable.
View Quote
Thank you for spending money on our education.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#41]
I just heard about this and am very happy to hear it! I’m not too interested in the pistol itself, possibly in the future. A gun chambered in 5.7x28 that is made by a large company like ruger is awesome though! It will hopefully mean a larger proliferation of the caliber and hopefully more ammunition manufacturers. For now I am content with my PS90, but the pistol is definitely priced way better than an fn five seven and will scratch that itch for many at a much better price point.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I just heard about this and am very happy to hear it! I’m not too interested in the pistol itself, possibly in the future. A gun chambered in 5.7x28 that is made by a large company like ruger is awesome though! It will hopefully mean a larger proliferation of the caliber and hopefully more ammunition manufacturers. For now I am content with my PS90, but the pistol is definitely priced way better than an fn five seven and will scratch that itch for many at a much better price point.
View Quote
Couldn't have said it better, I would also love to see many different designs and ammo in this caliber.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm pretty excited for this pistol. I've always wanted an FN Fiveseven as a range toy, but could never justify what they're charging for them.

This Ruger may scratch that itch for me. Hopefully an increase in 5.7x28mm ammo production will follow, increasing the popularity of the round and decreasing the price.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Watched a guy take delivery of one Saturday at my LGS. So of course I now have one on order.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#45]
For any of the guys who have one of these, I love for you to clear something up for me.

WI DNR says...

"Handguns must use center-fire cartridges of .22 caliber or larger and have a 5½ inch minimum barrel length measured from the firing pin to the muzzle with the action closed."

...to be legal for deer hunting.

Ruger spec's says the 57's barrel is 4.94" long. I'm assuming that is measured the same way the WDNR wants it measured, but if not then the cartridge length should make it exceed the 5.5" needed. So, if anybody wants to shove a rod down your bore to double check, I'd love to know for sure.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
For any of the guys who have one of these, I love for you to clear something up for me.

WI DNR says...

"Handguns must use center-fire cartridges of .22 caliber or larger and have a 5½ inch minimum barrel length measured from the firing pin to the muzzle with the action closed."

...to be legal for deer hunting.

Ruger spec's says the 57's barrel is 4.94" long. I'm assuming that is measured the same way the WDNR wants it measured, but if not then the cartridge length should make it exceed the 5.5" needed. So, if anybody wants to shove a rod down your bore to double check, I'd love to know for sure.
View Quote
Why would you want to use 5.7 for deer hunting? At best you would have the equivalent of a .223 varmint sized round traveling up to 2000 fps slower than it would out of a full size ar15  platform (just spot checked, hornady super performance 223 35 gr is 4000 fps) and nobody would ever recommend a slow, or even fast, varmint round for hunting deer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Why would you want to use 5.7 for deer hunting? At best you would have the equivalent of a .223 varmint sized round traveling up to 2000 fps slower than it would out of a full size ar15  platform (just spot checked, hornady super performance 223 35 gr is 4000 fps) and nobody would ever recommend a slow, or even fast, varmint round for hunting deer.
View Quote
I don't particularly want to. I'm just curious if it would meet the legal definition.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:  Why would you want to use 5.7 for deer hunting? At best you would have the equivalent of a .223 varmint sized round traveling up to 2000 fps slower than it would out of a full size ar15  platform (just spot checked, hornady super performance 223 35 gr is 4000 fps) and nobody would ever recommend a slow, or even fast, varmint round for hunting deer.
View Quote
?  I think .220 Swift & .22-250 are popular in Scotland - they shoot em in the neck.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

?  I think .220 Swift & .22-250 are popular in Scotland - they shoot em in the neck.
View Quote
FWIW, I've shot plenty with .223 (55gr Barnes Vor-TX, says 3200fps at the muzzle) and it works just fine. Vitals turn into soup. I've had the backside shoulder prevent an exit, but I've also had it do that with a .30-06 so it's not like that is a huge deal to hold against it. I've also shot one on a deer drive that was injured by the initial shot someone else fired at it but was not fatal (front leg blown off). I only had a severe quartering away shot, almost to the point it was running directly away, and the bullet connected with the rear hind quarters breaking what would be our femur in 3 spots, severing an artery, and deflecting into the spine. Dropped it from a full sprint to the dirt instantly where I could follow up with a shot to the vitals. I bring that up only to illustrate that it was effective even under a less than ideal scenario. Shooting them in the neck/base of skull is probably the best case scenario and just about anything would work for that. I don't take those shots here because of CWD and IIRC the prions related to that are present in the brain tissue and spinal fluid. I'd rather not introduce that to the meat I plan to eat, just to be on the safe side.

I don't use a .223 anymore because I have other rifles I prefer, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it again if necessary. I imagine with the right bullet and proper shot placement a 5.7 would also be effective. Again, I have no plans to test that but I'm curious to see if the gun would be legal in WI for deer hunting. Somebody may find that information useful one day.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Well, taking a break from the caliber wars and getting back to the gun, I went out this morning and shot my FN and Ruger side by side. To be honest, I like shooting the FN a little better. The Ruger seemed a little more snappy to me, and I didn’t care as much for the slimmer grip. The wider FN felt better in my hand. The Ruger also had a more rearward ejection, so when I was shooting SS197, I was getting pelted with cases bouncing off the walls of the shooting stall. With the same ammo, the FN cases were bouncing slightly forward and not on me. The slide release on the Ruger did loosen up a little from being stiff out of the box, but I still think it’s too small, and the 1911 style extended safety lever gets in the way a bit when trying to release it with my thumb. The FN slide release is much better. Also loading the Ruger mags was a bit more difficult because of their decision to put little detents in the feedlips where the case groove is. I suppose they are there to prevent the rounds from sliding forward, but the practical effect when loading is that you have to load the rounds straight from the top. If the round is a little forward and the rim is in front of the detent, you have to slide the round out forward and try again, because you can’t simply slide the round all the way back. I did like the Ruger front FO sight. Trigger and accuracy seemed to be on a par with each other; I didn’t have any real preference of one over the other, except for recoil for which I preferred the FN. Reliability on both was 100% on mine with the limited amount of SS196 and SS197 that I used. Overall, I don’t think I’d trade my FN for a Ruger, but I’m sure the price difference is going to drive a lot of people to the Ruger no matter what. YMMV.

PS, hadn’t shot 5.7 for a while and forgot how flashy it was.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top