Site Notices
Kimber hate? (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GHOS7:
Honestly at this point I don't know what 1911 you can buy that people wont talk shit about.
View Quote
Dan Wesson
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Kimber ProCarry II in 2006. It has been flawless, no complaints. Trigger is crisp, cycles all ammo, smoothest shooting gun I have ever owned. Even though it only weighs 28 ounces, it is still fairly heavy for an EDC so I don't carry it a lot. But I have gone through MANY pistols over the years and this Kimber is one I have always said I will NEVER get rid of.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Worked a high volume LGS for awhile and Kimber was one of the highest return/complaint lines I experienced.  They were not Sig Mosquito level , but they had enough issues that I steered clear of them.

They do look nice though and came out with some good looking models.

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Purchased a Kimber Classic back in the 90's, one of the Yonkers guns, and it runs fine.
I suspect that like any business, the guys that start a company know what they want to do but they get replaced by guys that only want to make money.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JoshAston:
Dan Wesson
View Quote

Yep exactly lol
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a Micro 9 for my wife on 3-27-21. The first time we went to the range I ran 2 mags through it then handed over to wife. It fired fine me. When she takes over, every 3rd or 4th round the mag dropped, would fail to extract, fail to load, stove pipe. Brought home cleaned, lubed, racked the slide constantly for a day or 2. Brought wife back to range, I ran a mag through, then handed back to wife. Same thing as before, except mags would drop after 1st or 2nd round.
Bring back home, clean again, run rounds through racking slide by hand 0 failures.
Go to range alone. 115gr 124gr target ammo 147gr +P
target ammo dropped all 4 mags on 2nd shot every time. +P after every round.
Called Kimber started RMA process. Wanted to know if they wanted clean or as is? They said as is. Upon boxing noticed the hammer was burred and had been eating into the beavertail.
They changed 10 parts and I haven't fired the gun since getting it back.
My wife has been anti gun her whole life. Due to the times, she feels it is necessary to learn and arm herself. This gun has slowed her want down. Pretty Sad!

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#7]
It is only anecdotal, but a friend of mine bought one about 15 years ago, and he really likes it.  While no one is sure how his new Kydex holster played into him shooting himself in the ass with the Kimber, the pistol worked just fine, and since getting rid of the holster, he hasn't shot himself in the ass again since.

I have had two friends shoot themselves in the ass with 1911 pistols...
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one on order. It will never see a single round.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one, Kimber Super Carry Pro, I like it, somewhere around 7000 rounds through it. It has been reliable with factory ammo, my handloads have been rough. It still looks nice and shoots nice, but I think my next gun will be a Dan Wesson. I do enjoy it and I am happy I got it. Factory ammo and its pretty great, sights came zeroed perfect, I put it on a rest and I knock the center out of the bullseye. Incredibly accurate, but not incredibly reliable. I would recommend Kimber to a guy on a budget, but I would push someone to a Dan Wesson to a normal fella.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 4:29:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GHOS7:
Honestly at this point I don't know what 1911 you can buy that people wont talk shit about. Even people with perfectly reliable upper tier $3k models get trashed talked for spending the amount they did. Just buy what you want, and if it runs it runs.
View Quote

Basically this.
If the 1911 isn't built with 100% of the parts cut from a solid block of steel they are crap.

Link Posted: 7/24/2021 4:42:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JohnMH92:

Was thinking about getting a Jaeger 10mm
View Quote

You really should.  Best gun ever.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Have 2 Kimbers, a Pro CDP II, and a Yonkers Custom. Both have been 100%. The CDP has been bobbed and uses a Ed Brown main spring housing, and all MIM parts swapped during this work. Carried it for years, and trust it. The Custom Classic was bought from a gunsmith and it is exceptional. But it has been completely re-worked.......... If I were buying another 1911 I would either go with another Colt, or a Springfield.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 10:11:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DesignatedMarksman] [#13]
Since Dan Wesson exists, there is absolutely no reason to buy a Kimber. DW price is comparable with significantly higher quality.

When I sold guns the hierarchy of guns going back to the factory was as follows: Bersa thunder->Sig 1911->Kimber 1911-> Rossi lever action-> Taurus semi auto. That's a good indicator I think.

On a similar note, never buy a Bersa thunder.

ETA: I totally forgot about the Sig mosquito and Walter p22. Those were frequent flyers back to the factory also.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I've never been disappointed with the 3 Kimber pistols I have.  Mine all run like they're supposed to.  They are also all from the bottom end of Kimber's price spectrum.  Their more expensive models seem to have a lot more bling without offering better internal parts or better fitting.  Once you get away from their lower end guns and get into the higher priced models I'd buy somebody else's gun and if asked for an opinion I'd recommend looking at DW or Colt or Springfield.

It's kind of a moot point for me these days since the only 1911 that would pry money out of my pocket would probably be a 5" Colt Combat Elite.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I have 5 Kimbers one full size custom II very early model an officer sized stainless a 3” compact and and 2 Tactical Pro II’s one 9mm and one 45 the 45 has the external extractor all have been solid accurate and reliable pistols and the 3” model is amazingly accurate!

I love 1911’s I have a Sig Sauer in 357 Sig And two Detonics combat masters as well.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#16]
There will be hate for everything out there. Gun, car, kitchen knife. Just buy what you like
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:10:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#17]
Heard a lot of hate.

Picked up a NIB (never fired) custom2 for $500.

Put 200 rounds through it last weekend, it ate everything, from every mag I owned, zero difficulties.  Looks nice. Trigger is decent, kept them on the paper as fast as I could pull the trigger at 20y, in spite of my bad habits (which are legion).

Just paid too much for some WC mags.

No reason to believe I can’t trust it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By taulce02:
Purchased a TLE/RL II.  Sent it back to Kimber four times due to failure to feed / failure to eject issues.  Shipping costs were adding up and they did nothing.  The last time I sent it back to them with a note to just keep the POS.  They of course sent it back once again.  In the end, they never fixed the problem.  I sold it on Gunbroker with the stated issues the gun had for half of what I paid for it.  Kimber... never again.
View Quote
Not exactly the same story as mine, but close enough for the purpose of this discussion
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Yep exactly lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoshAston:
Dan Wesson

Yep exactly lol

This last year some time after buying a kimber 10mm and having it go full auto with the second magazine, I decided buy once cry once.
Purchased a Dan Wesson Razor back in 10mm.
The slide seized to the rails.

Yeah both were fixed and returned to me.
But the Razor back has shot some of the best groups I have ever shot with a 1911 type pistol.
So it can happen to all manufacturers.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#20]
If one were to buy a Kimber, it absolutely must be either full size or commander.  Buy only in45 ACP,  all other calibers will be trouble.  

1. Full size 45 never had an issue
2. Full size 10mm nothing but trouble until I installed WC extractor
2. Full size 9mm same as above.  New WC extractor fixed the gun.

I almost feel sorry for folks buying Kimber’s micro 1911.  They all look pretty but from personal experience almost never  work.

I’m done with Kimber.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By housewolf:
Not exactly the same story as mine, but close enough for the purpose of this discussion
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By housewolf:
Originally Posted By taulce02:
Purchased a TLE/RL II.  Sent it back to Kimber four times due to failure to feed / failure to eject issues.  Shipping costs were adding up and they did nothing.  The last time I sent it back to them with a note to just keep the POS.  They of course sent it back once again.  In the end, they never fixed the problem.  I sold it on Gunbroker with the stated issues the gun had for half of what I paid for it.  Kimber... never again.

Ironically, I had a TLE RL2 and it was a giant POS.  It was at the time that they tried the external extractor.  It would run for about 1 mag.  I sent it back multiple times.  They ended up replacing the barrel...and the new barrel looked like the rifling machine failed mid bore.  The rifling went super twisty, like a screw...then just hogged out the end of the muzzle.  It was absurd that they shipped this...nobody even looked down the bore.  

I called them and they replaced the entire upper...slide, barrel, everything.  

It eventually ran, the one time I took it to test it.  Sold it for a loss.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#22]
The plastic MSH can be replaced.  I replaced mine myself.  Also sent it back to them to add an ambi thumb safety.  Works fine for me.  Stainless II.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#23]
My first 1911 was a stainless Raptor.  Just found the paperwork for it, bought it 10 years ago.  Long since sold to my brother.

It was a nice gun, almost never malfunctioned.  

Only other one I've had was an Ultra Carry Pro.  Again, pretty reliable.  Bought that maybe 4 years ago.  Maybe put 500 rounds through it with 2 or 3 FTFs.  Sold off last Summer.  

Internet opinions are to be taken with a grain of salt.  Example, Shield magazines don't work worth a shit and yet mine have been flawless.

Don't know about the current state of affairs at Kimber, don't care, I'd buy a DW or Springfield if I was getting another at that price point.  Besides, I equate Kimber with Ryan Busse now, and he's a steaming pile of a human.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 12:09:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Magick] [#24]
I bought a Stainless II way back when. It has been flawless. It is so tight, it can be a PITA to disassemble. It has shot dozens of competitions with no issues. I have friends who have had Kimbers that are jam-o-matics. That is the story of Kimber. Either you got a damn good gun or you got a dud.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By unrock:
If one were to buy a Kimber, it absolutely must be either full size or commander.  Buy only in45 ACP,  all other calibers will be trouble.  

1. Full size 45 never had an issue
2. Full size 10mm nothing but trouble until I installed WC extractor
2. Full size 9mm same as above.  New WC extractor fixed the gun.

I almost feel sorry for folks buying Kimber’s micro 1911.  They all look pretty but from personal experience almost never  work.

I’m done with Kimber.
View Quote

I have an ultra carry in 45 that runs well.

To your point, I am nervous about paying for a 10mm. I think a 45 is a lot harder to screw up.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#26]
When kimbers first came out they were solid.  Over here past two decades they’ve had more misses than hits

Their returns for repairs is crazy in house.  Personal word of mouth conversations with old big ups…tells me what I already knew
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I have had a Kimber Warrior since 2008 I believe. No issues whatsoever with mine. My friend bought a CDP II several years after me, fired one round and the gun seized. He had to leave it with the gun shop to work on because he couldn't unlock it. At this point in time, I wouldn't buy another gun from them. They are expensive for what they are and there are better companies for the same money. For the record, I do love my Warrior!
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#28]
My personal distaste comes with dealing with their rifles.  Poorly executed with less than zero customer support.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 1:17:20 AM EDT
[#29]
I had a 2000’s  CUSTOM (series70) 45acp never a problem.
I have a recent Custom II Target 9mm (Yonkers) flawless.
I had a recent Camp Guard 10mm. Very accurate, wonderful shooter, was not reliable.

IMO- stay 45 or 9mm and Gov't model size, the further you stray from those perimeters more troublesome they become.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 1:23:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Custom 2 in the late 90's.  Grip safety stopped working.

Personally, not an issue.
Technically, a fault.  For a $800 gun, in 90's money.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:44:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Mongoloyd356:
I had a 2000’s  CUSTOM (series70) 45acp never a problem.
I have a recent Custom II Target 9mm (Yonkers) flawless.
I had a recent Camp Guard 10mm. Very accurate, wonderful shooter, was not reliable.

IMO- stay 45 or 9mm and Gov't model size, the further you stray from those perimeters more troublesome they become.
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:43:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dogfacepappy] [#32]
Hmm, still back and forth about this Kimber, really I’d like to trade it for a Colt of similar features.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:50:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tacklenut] [#33]
I had an Ultra carry II stainless and the two tone. The stainless was bought used. No problems at all. The two tone had a couple ftf on the first two mags, one each. I added a drop or two of oil to the slide and no more issues.
Just my two cents.
My friends wife used their full size lumber in a two day class and had no problems.

I would have thought with her small hands and possibly limp wristiing it she would have had issues but she didn’t.

Get what you want.

Edit….
Can’t go wrong with the Dan Wesson
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Bringing a 2018 thread back from the dead!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:10:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tacklenut] [#35]
Double tap
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#36]
It's a Kimber thread. What did you expect?

Those of us that like them, like them.

Those of us that don't, don't.

As you can tell by the time line of the thread, it's been going on for years.

It's also nice to see a new post in this forum from time to time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Gun shops hate them cause everyone wants them but doesn’t buy them and they gotta send them back all the time
Kimber hates them cause they clog up thier repairs
The sales ceo hates them cause they gotta explain why a $800 plus gat with a design over a century old doesn’t work
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a Custom II, and never had any issues with it.

It's a tack driver.

Don't remember it's age.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:50:45 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a Warrior I got when it first came out , I ordered back when it came out Apr 05 I think , its been a good one ,finish wore off but it`s been carried , atv gun , truck gun , had a cust tac 2 beautiful gun it was a jammer , had a had a full sizw cdp yrs bak I boght new had hammer follow through ,  a friends Eclipse hammer broke , I look  and look at them they look great but you may get a good , may not I love the little 3 inch 45 almost bought one a few times but passed , did get a 3 in Colt 45 Defender in Stainless its been flawless for a small 45 .I am looking at Kimber `s all the time but slow to buy one .
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Kimber hate? (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top