Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 7/31/2002 11:34:33 AM EDT
I'd be interested in anyone's experiences with the USP Compact .40.

A friend of mine is considering the weapon and I thought I would ask the experts here what they think of it since I only use p7s. ;)

Any accessories that are "mandatory" buys?

Any quirks or issues?

What variant does everyone prefer?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:04:39 PM EDT
Haven't shot the compact but I own the full size USP 40. Have put about 1000 rds thru it with ONE malfunction. This was due to not seating the mag fully (not the weapon's fault).
It seems to like any kind of ammo I feed it and is alot more accurate than it's owner. Get the Trijicon night sights if possible as it seems the weapon was designed with these in mind.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:45:24 PM EDT
The compact USP40 has a more violent recoil than the full size version. I own a USP40 in full size, variant 1, and no problems with it. Long trigger pull so competition is out of the question without some trigger work, but an excellent defensive pistol, reliable wet, dry, dirty, etc.. Trijicon or mepro night sights are an excellent addition to a top notch defensive weapon. Some good weaponlights for them too.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:48:47 PM EDT
USPC .40 is a mule.. I traded mine in on a Springfield 1911a1 Micro Compact.. I couldn't hit shit with the .40 Compact plus the recoil is crazy. I'd tell him to get a 9mm compact or a fullsize .40 or .45
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 2:13:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2002 2:14:28 PM EDT by Hawkeye]
Just to show different strokes, I love my compact .40. Is the backup to my fullsize USP 40. Recoil to me is about the same as a fullsize, since the slightly lighter weight slide cycles a bit faster. It goes back into battery quick so it pulls the muzzle back down, equaling out the muzzle rise.
Only things I would recommend are a set of Trijicons and a 12 lb Wolf hammer spring. Does wonders for the trigger pull. Seems that with the USP40C, folks either love them or hate them. Not much middle ground.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 6:16:09 PM EDT
I'm a big fan of the USP Compacts, having used a .40 for several years and recently added a .45. Their best attribute in my opinion is reliability - I don't know of any other pistol that's been torture tested during development as much as USP's. My USP's have faithfully digested every brand and configuration of ammo fed to them, and I have complete confidence that they'll function whenever needed. I prefer the Variant 1 configuration since it's so similar to a 1911 but with the addition of a decocker.

As far as options are concerned:
Night sights are a big plus for quick target acquisition in low light. I've used Trijicons and Meprolights, both are good but the Trijicons are a bit sharper in regular lighting to my eyes. HK will install Meprolights for a very reasonable cost on pistols shipped to them in Virginia.
The stainless steel slides are much more resistant to holster wear than the HE finish since they basically have no finish to wear off.

Quirks/Issues - Do not use stainless steel bore brushes on USP's since this will degrade the polished bore surfaces and reduce accuracy over time. Brass brushes are no problem.
I've seen a number of posts on various boards regarding poor customer service from HK, but my experiences with them have always been good.

Good luck to your friend - My guess is that if they like the fit in the hand and location of the controls, they'll be happy with one of these. A SIG is probably the only weapon of comparable overall quality.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 11:03:47 PM EDT
Why do a .40 when one can do either a .45acp or .357Sig? My carry gun is the USP Compact .45 in S/S. It's never once missed a beat.

I still can't figure out why the .40 is even in existence. It can't do what the .45 does & the .357Sig is a much better rd.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 10:30:01 PM EDT
I have a uspc 40 and love it. Never had a problem with it. The only thing is that add-ons are spendy. I guess that goes with the territory. Leather seats in a Lexus are expensive too. I would start with pinkie extentions and a hogue grip. Then on to night sights.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 11:12:21 PM EDT
They do have a nice kick. And the first pull of the trigger is long and not very user friendly. One day I took the 40C and the Glock 23 to the range, and found myself favoring the 23 after a couple of boxes. I still have the 40C. It's a beautiful gun, quality throughout, it's just that the recoil is kinda rough.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 11:39:29 PM EDT
Well, I guess I'll throw my .02 in here. The only thing I have noticed that bothered me about the pistol was the muzzle flip. I have heard the recoil as a complaint about this gun so many times, but personally found the muzzle flip to be far more irrritating than the recoil. That aside, I really like the feel of the gun in my hand and the overall shooting experience is excellent. Since I carry this firearm regularly, the size was a factor and I have no difficulty concealing it on my 5'10" 180lb. frame.

The only accessories I would recommend are a good set of tritium sights and a Houge hand-all grip sleeve. The checkering on the front strap of the grip is rather nasty after 50 or so rounds.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 12:07:14 AM EDT
My USP.40c has been my carry gun for about four years now, and I have been very happy with it. It shoots everything but wolf reliably and has never had any sort of failure with factory ammo. It is a bit large for a "compact" weapon but I have no problem concealing it, even at only 5'8", 170. The gun has a very good feel in my and and I rather enjoy shooting it recreationally... so much so that I used to use it at my local pin shoot.

Night sights are a must...

It has no quirks that I can think of right off, except that I had to drift the rear sight way left to hit center-of-mass... but I think that's just because I shoot crooked!
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 9:52:39 AM EDT
The full-size USP was actually originally designed around the .40 cartridge and does a fine job of handling this relatively snappy round. Part of this is due to the dual recoil system.

However, due to the recoil system in the compacts, the .45 compact USP is much more pleasant and controllable than the .40 compact. Follow up shots and sight reacquisition are faster with the .45.

Of course one can carry two additional rounds in the .40 C.

It should be noted that magazines are NOT interchangeable between full size and compact USP's. The compacts have slimmer stocks and the magazines are metal.

Also note that a dramatic improvement in the single-action stage (and to a lesser degree, DA)of the trigger is found in date code AB (AB is 2001) and later (AC is 2002) weapons in the compact series. However, the AC weapons are marred by new BATF rules regarding serial number depth, with sometimes rough numbers instead of the smooth laser-etched numbers of the AB model. This makes AB models more desirable if they can be found.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:46:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2002 4:49:54 PM EDT by GoGo]
I just posted a question about a UTL for my USP compact .40. I must say if I had to do it again I would entertain a .357 sig calibre, however, I am not one to argue calibres. That being said I love it- a lot. My close friends love it as well. In my book the only other product that is in the same range all around would be from Sig- (yes I own both as well as others). Again, try it out if you can, or at least see how it feels to you. Everyone's "ergonomics" are different. But I have to tell ya- anytime it gets put into one of my friends hands they shoot accurate and begin to find dis-favor with their pistols! Reliabilty is a non-issue. The sharp edges of the slide don't quite impress me as far as metalwork goes, however, it is precise and feels good.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 5:37:03 PM EDT
Gogo,

What sharp edges do you have ? I went through a week of shooting school in Az with a pair of .45 USP Compacts and other than a really sore thumb from reloading (thank god for Coban) I had no probs with the slide edges- and in 1200+ rounds in 5 days believe me I should have if thery were there.

I have a pretty bright scar on my right hand thumb web from Walthers and 1911's but not from my HK.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 12:13:34 AM EDT
Sorry, maybe sharp was the wrong word. Never has the slide caused any discomfort. I meant to compare the actual metalwork. It is much harder and more impressive visually to machine the radii and soft corners on say my 226 slide. There is something of an evil looking quality on the HK slide though. Bottom line no complaints. Adding another flavor HK is always in the back of the mind.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 1:27:56 PM EDT
Gotcha, sort of like "hard edges" vs. "Organic".

The Hk USP definitely has a businesslike Teutonic purposeful look about it, no concessions to fashion on that piece.

The SIG 226 is a very nice weapon, that's for sure. Excellent trigger. Reliable.

However, I prefer to carry in Condition One, and only carry very reliable weapons, which is why I carry the HK instead of the 1911's I like so much. The 1911 is great to shoot (and I shoot them better than most pistols) but are not as reliable as the HK. The HK gives me the 1911 controls and ergonomics with lighter carry mass and better reliability.

Tatjana, I gave up on my P7M8 fetish some time ago due to the minor caliber (too many Gunsite courses)and escalating cost of that weapon. When my pistol (which I consider disposable over time) costs almost as much as my Omega chronometer (which I don't regard as disposable) there's a problem ;)

Great fun at the range though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 3:30:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gt223:

Tatjana, I gave up on my P7M8 fetish some time ago due to the minor caliber (too many Gunsite courses) and escalating cost of that weapon. When my pistol (which I consider disposable over time) costs almost as much as my Omega chronometer (which I don't regard as disposable) there's a problem ;)

Great fun at the range though.

I sympathize. I know the ballsitic advantage of the .40SW over the 9mm (believe me) but the .40SW is just BARELY too much cartridge for me.

I can just put the p7m8 on target and deliver accurate rounds and follow-ups much faster. I was always taught to use the zippiest calibre with which you can put rounds on target accurately and reliably. For me that's 9mm loaded for +p+.

(Plus, I have to look pretty when I'm using it. That's hard with a weapon with lots of recoil!)

I could probably master the .40SW if I put a lot of effort into it, but the p7m10 in .40 is SO bulky (p7m8 is 2 just over 2 pounds loaded and the p7m10 is 2.7 pounds even without the mag) and it's hard for me to conceal the weapon.

The USP compact is lighter, of course... hmmm... maybe I'll...

*No... cannot resist pull of squeeze cocking mechanism. Mustn't consider USP line.*

Uh, I have to go.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 10:35:08 PM EDT
I have both the P7 and the USP40 Fullsize.
The USP variant 1. Work Great with me.
I would say get extra mags, night sights, and a good holster. There are a few quirks about the compact pistol when it first came out and I got to test fire it. It seems to recoil a bit heavier than the full size. The double trigger is a bit on the heavy side. Damn, the compacts mags are not interchangable with the fullsize USP. I would say you may wait until the P2000 is released later this year.
Page Handguns » H&K
Top Top