Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2017 4:04:04 PM EDT
I am in the market for a home defense gun to replace my G26. I am looking at full size and compact size guns with 15 rounds. I prefer a gun that is hammer fired, DA/SA, and can be carried hammer down with manual safety on. This is going to be a nightstand gun so a safety is a must. If I can carry it too that is a plus as I currently carry smaller single stacks but wouldn't mind carrying a double stack sometimes. Do some variations of the USP and P30s meet these requirements and if so, which ones can be carried hammer down/safety on? I looked at their specs and searched all over online but really couldn't tell if they were only safety on when cocked and locked. At this point the only guns that really meet my requirements are the beretta 92 and px4 and of course all striker fired guns with safeties but I would rather get a hammer fired one. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Generally, you're looking for any of the HK models with an S at the end of its name.

So a P30 V3 S will be DA/SA (V3) have a manual safety (S). Any HK can be carried hammer down and that is the normal way you would carry any of their DA/SA guns.

ETA: the HK45 is an exception I guess... It has a manual safety but is commonly called just an HK45.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#2]
USP/ USPc  and HK45/ Hk45c variants 1 and 2 are what you are looking for within these series for a manual safety. V1 is for righties and V2 is for southpaws.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Generally, you're looking for any of the HK models with an S at the end of its name.

So a P30 V3 S will be DA/SA (V3) have a manual safety (S). Any HK can be carried hammer down and that is the normal way you would carry any of their DA/SA guns.

ETA: the HK45 is an exception I guess... It has a manual safety but is commonly called just an HK45.
View Quote
The P30S series is not a common one. The common variant of P2000 and the P30 series is V3 which is the DA/SA trigger w/ manual decock, but no manual safety. The V1 of the USP and HK45 families (which is DA/SA trigger w/ manual decock) is the most common variant for them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
USP/ USPc  and HK45/ Hk45c variants 1 and 2 are what you are looking for within these series for a manual safety. V1 is for righties and V2 is for southpaws.
View Quote
I think he's asking whether the safety can be engaged when the hammer is down in the DA position.

I was always under the impression the lever functions as a safety only when the hammer is cocked.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think he's asking whether the safety can be engaged when the hammer is down in the DA position.
View Quote
Yes this is correct.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#6]
P30S would get my vote if you want to carry it and the safety is a must.  The USP9c can utilize the the p30/VP9 15 rounds mags as well if you want to take that into consideration.  They carry similar, however you have the option of using the 13 round mags from the USP for better concealment and it won't rub you raw with the grip panels like the P30 will.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
P30S would get my vote if you want to carry it and the safety is a must.  The USP9c can utilize the the p30/VP9 15 rounds mags as well if you want to take that into consideration.  They carry similar, however you have the option of using the 13 round mags from the USP for better concealment and it won't rub you raw with the grip panels like the P30 will.
View Quote
Thanks. I am sort of undecided in that I am not sure if I want a home defense and carry gun or just one that fills both roles. My current carry gun is a MP Bodyguard 380, which I love, so this would be for those times I believed I needed more rounds/winter carry. I am also considering the Beretta 92 as the home defense gun.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#8]
USPC 9 will take P30 15 round mags but stick out a little from the bottom of course.

I say go all out and buy a usp 9 Tactical and a suppressor.

And 18rd  jet funnel mags.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#9]
You can also use the metal USP 40 compact 12 round magazines in a USP 9 compact to hold 15-16 rounds (don't force last round in, some take 15, some 16 depending on follower variations).

With a V1 USP you can engage the safety with the hammer down. When the safety is on and you pull the trigger the hammer comes back to 1/2 cock (which is also where the hammer goes when you use the decocker).
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top