Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2017 12:13:13 AM EDT
I recently bought a HK P30sk LEM V1 in 9mm, followed by a standard HK P30 LEM V1 in 9mm.  I figured I'd share my thoughts because I've read many people ask about the VP9 vs. the P30 series in recent threads.  Over the past several months, I was looking to add a new carry pistol to my collection.  I was amazed with the P30sk ergonomics the moment I first held one at a local gun store.  I took a leap of faith and ordered a P30sk V1 in hopes that I'd like the LEM trigger.  When I got to the range, I was amazed with how well the P30sk shot.  While I was hoping I would shoot it well for a small pistol, I actually shot it as well as any handgun I've ever tried, regardless of size.  In addition, I really like the V1 LEM trigger for carry.  It is a simple, consistent pull from the first to the last shot, but it still allows me to shoot fast and accurately.    I am blowing out the center of targets in a way I haven't done in several years.  The second-strike capability of the LEM sold me over striker fired guns I've carried for the last several years.

I liked the P30sk so much, I decided to trade away my VP9 toward a standard P30 9mm V1.  I actually like the standard P30 V1 9mm even more than the SK version, it's an absolute tack-driver.  Moving forward, I plan to carry the standard P30 V1 in the cooler weather and the P30sk in the summer.  It seems like a sensible carry rotation due to magazine commonality along with identical controls, triggers, and Meprolight sights.  On a side note, the P30sk carries nicely in a Stealthgear Ventcore mini-IWB holster.  

I know that a lot of people like the VP9, but I was never really satisfied with mine.  To me, the VP9 felt significantly less robust than the USP or the P30. If I had no prior experience with the USP or P30, I might not have noticed the following issues. Little things like the weak side slide release lever and the plastic charging supports felt cheap to me. The VP9 was the only polymer pistol I've owned that I could really feel a lot of flex in the grip when I squeezed. I've read rave reviews regarding the VP9 trigger, but my particular VP9 had a fair amount of grit in the take up and a good bit of creep just before the break.  I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I like the USP and P30 triggers more.

There's my two cents in case anyone was interested.  Here's a pic of my two favorite new handguns:

Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:49:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Great write-up!  I'm in a similar boat as you, but with a P2000 / P2000sk 9mm LEM.  Haven't had my hands on the P30 series, but I'm guessing it's very similar except for the additional side panel adjustments to the grip.  LEM is the ideal trigger setup for carry in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 4:02:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Great post OP. I'm a huge USP and P30L fan. Ive been critical of the VP9 after handling and shooting it. Its HK's economical answer to the striker fired market and literally means "The People's pistol" because of its affordability. Handling and shooting the P30, HK45, USP next to the VP9 it becomes pretty clear that the VP9 is not the same HK quality as the flagship lineup mentioned. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a fact that can't be ignored.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top