Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 6/2/2003 1:56:16 PM EDT
There appear to be two different styles of Colt Series 80 full size Government Models. One is a pretty standard looking gun and the other is upgraded hammer,grip safety etc. What is the story and is a like new stainless steel version of the upgrade worth $600?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:14:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe you're talking about their "1991" models & their premium line, both Series 80 design.

Are they worth the difference? IMO, yes. I count highly on how a gun looks, I don't really want a matte finish on a gun costing that much.

There's also the option of going to a Springfield Armory, usually about $50-100 cheaper than an equivilent Colt.

Para Ordnance now makes single stacks as well.

You could also buy a used Colt & save a few bucks. I buy most of my guns used.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure when exactly they introduced the "enhanced" model.
That may be what JMoulin is refering to.
A few cosmetic changes, like the grip/trigger guard juncture being relieved for a higher grip.
I think the enhanced models all use the Gold Cup cut on the barrel hood too.
Also, the serial numbers weren't stamped in, being more like pixels.
My 1991-A1 in SS was very drab and didn't look quite right so I stripped it down, masked it off and glass beaded the sides.
Much better now.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd say that $600 was a pretty good buy. Get it and give us a range report
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I own the series 80 gov model MKIV to be exact    and my original finish was a polished blue till i had it hard chromed the xse models and defender which i also own are series 90  600 hundred is a little pricey ky imports has the 1991A1 with the new roll marks for $639 for the ss gov and commander the matt blue with the standard trigger is $549  
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top