Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 4/4/2006 6:10:21 PM EDT
hi ,i have a 1911 that i recieved after my grandfather passed and i thought it was a family heir loom type thing but now im not shure.i did some research and know one in the family can recall my grandfather or his brother father etc.. bieng in the service.its a colt according to the serial number it was produced in 1918.the color is some what worn but not bad for its aged and it functions also has good orig grips.i was wondering if there is a way to see who the previous owners were,and if i decide to let it go, what do i have to do because it is not registerd to me and for all i know its not registered to my grandfather either.not shure what i want to do but im looking for more info at  this point. thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless the gun was ever reported as stolen, and the number was listed in the national crime computer list of "hot" guns, there is NO way of tracing it, or determining who might have owned it in the past.

Since this is such an old gun, any registration is strictly a matter of what the laws where you live are.
In many places that don't have registration laws requiring all guns to be registered, you can do with it what you want.

In other words, if you're required to register handguns where you live, you'll need to register it before you sell it to a local.

If there is no local registration, you don't have to register it.

Check your local laws.

Before selling it, find out EXACTLY what you have.  Most of these early 1911 pistols are worth some LARGE dollars.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Duplicate
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I bet it WAS stolen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In order for you to avoid the slammer, I'm willing to take the risk & buy it from you for $100!!! The ONLY reason I'm going that high is because you're an arfcommer!!!!      
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks alot for the help.any ideas where to start trying to find out what i have or who to talk to im a little afraid of bieng scamed!thanks
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
thanks alot for the help.any ideas where to start trying to find out what i have or who to talk to im a little afraid of bieng scamed!thanks

Trust me, sir. I'll give ya $100 bucks for it so no one will ever scam ya!    
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trust me, sir. I'll give ya $100 bucks for it so no one will ever scam ya!    

Don't listen to him I'll offer you $125 for the pistol I don't care if it has a  questionable history. Just let me know were and when to send the mony order.

Alvin
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Don't listen to him I'll offer you $125 for the pistol I don't care if it has a  questionable history. Just let me know were and when to send the mony order.

Alvin

Hey! How DARE you horn in on my scam purchase!!!!!    
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top