Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 6:18:19 PM EDT
I was shooting my gun and found out the three dot white fixed sights are having place the rounds 8" low at 50 feet.  I had someone else at the Gun Club who is a real great shooters of the Colt 45's and he was placing them at the same place - 8" Low.

So here is my question do I file the front sight down, buy a higher fixed rear sight or buy a adjustable sight.  This is suppose to be my new carry piece.

Any suggestions.

Ammo was factory Speer 230gr FMJ Lawman
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:40:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Some quick & dirty trig indicates 8" @ 600" would require 1/16" at 5"…

I would go with the adjustable rear sight as this will give you some latitude with other loads.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Rather than filing the sight blade down, why not just put in a shorter front sight piece? Aren't the new ones dovetailed???????

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Rather than filing the sight blade down, why not just put in a shorter front sight piece? Aren't the new ones dovetailed???????

Near as I can tell from Colt's pictures, no. I know my Officers model is not dovetailed.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#4]
if its not dovetailed a gunsmith can stake it no problem. Just get a shorter front sight or file down what you have now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
The rear sight is dovetailed for sure - The front doesn't look dovetailed
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top