BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:28:32 AM EDT
[#1]
A couple of things, the Defender has a lightweight aluminium frame.  You really should use mags with the coated follower or really with the plastic follower like a Wilson.  On recoil the metal follower will move forward and damage the feed ramp on the last round.  

Second, every so often you have to replace the recoil system.  The Defender is a carry a lot shoot a little type gun.  Of all the short 1911's the Defender is the only one that seems to be worth a hoot.

on the stove pipes, go to 1911forum.com or google tuning your extractor.  

As for the spent a grand and still can not get his 1911 Colt to run you spent your grand at the wrong smith or you are full of it.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:05:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
 You really should use mags with the coated follower  (the mags that came with the defender were coated and the coating peeled off)

or really with the plastic follower like a Wilson. (wilsons mags ftf also for me )

On recoil the metal follower will move forward and damage the feed ramp on the last round.  (why would colt send mags with the gun that would damage the gun)

Second, every so often you have to replace the recoil system. ( did that didnt work)

The Defender is a carry a lot shoot a little type gun.( you have got to be kidding, if a gun does not funtion properly ALL the time, you would be insane to carry it)  

Of all the short 1911's the Defender is the only one that seems to be worth a hoot.( i WISH i could say the same)

on the stove pipes, go to 1911forum.com or google tuning your extractor. ( i will ask colt to do this)

As for the spent a grand and still can not get his 1911 Colt to run you spent your grand at the wrong smith or you are full of it.    ( i, would not spend ONE dime on tuning this gun)
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had several aluminum framed firearms and have never had damage to the feed ramp from a metal follower. Ray
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Quoted:
 You really should use mags with the coated follower  (the mags that came with the defender were coated and the coating peeled off)

or really with the plastic follower like a Wilson. (wilsons mags ftf also for me )

On recoil the metal follower will move forward and damage the feed ramp on the last round.  (why would colt send mags with the gun that would damage the gun)

Second, every so often you have to replace the recoil system. ( did that didnt work)

The Defender is a carry a lot shoot a little type gun.( you have got to be kidding, if a gun does not funtion properly ALL the time, you would be insane to carry it)  

Of all the short 1911's the Defender is the only one that seems to be worth a hoot.( i WISH i could say the same)

on the stove pipes, go to 1911forum.com or google tuning your extractor. ( i will ask colt to do this)

As for the spent a grand and still can not get his 1911 Colt to run you spent your grand at the wrong smith or you are full of it.    ( i, would not spend ONE dime on tuning this gun)

I am sorry, I was not clear.  As you said, the factory mags have the rubberized orange coating on them that peels off. It is on there to prevent a ding from forming on the feed ramp but over time the coating comes off. Wilsons do not do this.  My comment has nothing to do with feeding, just long term something to think about.  

Here is a link on the subject

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=121486&highlight=defender+feed+ramp

Aside from your feeding problems you will have to replace the recoil spring every so often. Some folks claim as soon as every 500 rounds.  This is why I said it was a carry a lot shoot less type of gun.  Here is a link on that issue.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=123501&highlight=Defender+recoil+spring

You do not have to send it back to Colt to tune the extractor if you don't want to. Here is a link that will show you how to and how to tell if it is correct.

http://www.blindhogg.com/gunsmith/extractor.html

Check out his other articles too, good stuff.

Lastly there is a guy on 1911forum.com in the Colt area that goes by the name of Mark1648, he is the Colt rep there and head of Colt PR and Cust service.  Send him an email, he can help you out. He is a nice guy.

Your story is one of many why I gave up on the less than 4 inch 1911's. A lot of people find that after they get them right, they are right from there on.  I have 5 Colts at the moments. The best Colt for CCW I have found is the CCO (4.25 inch Commander with an lightweight Officer frame).  I tried my bit with the short ones and gave up.  My small 45 acp is a Glock 36.  But from the sounds of it, you only need some tuning.  

I hope this was a help.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks free american for your links and advice, i'll go ahead and try to email     mark 1648 and see what he says.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top