Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2017 10:46:14 AM EDT
I bought this Old 70 series. Not in my hands yet.  Lots of holster wear. Grips were replaced.  Its a 1977 production.
Just wondering whats the deal on the small scroll marked slide.  Ive seen some stamped huge MK IV/70 Series and some not.  Edited to say some stamped small like this one.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Small stamp is the original discrete roll mark.  The one in your photo is the "Billboard."  

In the '70s this was probably a spin-off from all the Madison Avenue ad men pushing hyperbolic advertising -- NEW!  IMPROVED!  BETTER!  IMPROVES YOUR SHOOTING!  BRIGHTER TEETH!  FRESHER BREATH!  LONGER JUNK!

Not a bad looking pistol, by the way.  Looks like you have a bobbed Commander grip safety.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Barrel hood shouldn't be blued either. Never saw one on a 70 series that wasn't in the white.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#3]
This thing just struck me. Shes seen plenty of handling. The shop had more Colts with the same wear and some parts replaced. They all had the same replacement grips except for a few. They were worn and you could see one side was smooth. This was the only 70 series so I fo'ed.  I have correct grips for it with some finish wear that will look good on this old girl.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice pistol...as pointed out barrel hood should be in the white...here are a couple of Colts from my collection both are approximately same age as yours...Government model and Commander ...both are well used but function flawlessly. The market on these has taken a hit recently with Colt offering the S70 reproduction for as low as $800 recently
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Have it in my hands now. Barrel is original and not blue. Its patina. Has the forked style bushing. It set a long time somewhere and was used hard.
Barrel stamped COLT .45 Auto.
MK. IV / Series 70

Proper grips installed and ordered a grip safety.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#6]
That is a nice looking Colt!
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top