Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2017 10:52:52 AM EDT
Long time lurker, first time poster in the Colt forum.  Contemplating a purchase and would appreciate any input.

My wife and I are expecting our first boy, and I would like to buy a handgun on his birthday that I could give to him in a couple decades when he is old enough.  I want something kind of timeless so I settled on the 1911 and the Colt brand.  I currently only have one 1911, a Ruger, so I am a little unfamiliar with the different Colt models.

What model would you recommend?  Again I am going for something kind of timeless that will be just as great in 20 years as it is today.  I was thinking GC (either the National Match or Trophy) or maybe a Commander?  My budget is around $1500 or under.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#1]
How about an M45A1 CQBP?

Easily within your price range, has a rail, a lot of nice features, current mil (MARSOC) issue (at least for now but it looks like they're going to the G19 ) so they may become collectors' items of sorts...unless Colt continues production (which is possible).

Just a thought for something different.

If not that a Rail Gun.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think you can get more timeless than a NMGC.

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Basic Series 70.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Series 70 FTW.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#5]
The Wiley Clapp Colt's are supposed to nice.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Wiley Clapp Colt's are supposed to nice.
View Quote
I agree.  
The Colt Government Model Clapp or the stainless steel Commander are easily the nicest Colts going.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top