Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#1]
My wife just got me one for my birthday the other day. I can't wait to get it to the range.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is what happened to mine after 4727 rounds, with a lot of CCI Stinger use. Link

Now have 6850 through it with 2305 through the suppressor. Above "hmaverick" mentioned not using "stingers", probably good advice in general but they really work well in this gun.

Overall I love the gun: Light, can suppress it, accurate, fun, inexpensive. On page 8 of this thread I posted 5 steps that helped me make it work better. Bags

I did 5 things to make my p22 100% reliable. I think with a newer version of the gun (AG on the barrel and mags with letter "A") this will work. I can now shoot almost any kind of 22 LR with no problems. Will reliably feed hollow points. Works much better with High Velocity ammo. CCI Mini-Mags and especially CCI Stinger or Quik-Shok work the best.

Note: Member "1917-1911M" is awesome with his expertise.

1) Smooth out hammer: (Link below, start with 5th picture down).

www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152391

2) Smooth where the feed ramp meets the barrel. (start with 5 picture down on page). Link:

www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152397

3) Stretch extractor spring to give it more tension. (3rd picture down)

www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152384

4) Fix safety from engaging while shooting. ( 1st pic, about 6 post down by member "1917-1911M").

www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64717&page=2

5) Modify ejector. But I found that I had to modify it just the opposite that he has suggested in his picture i.e. modify the face so that it slants from 10:00 to 4:00 if looking at it from the top of the gun, which is opposite what he suggests in the picture. His way didn't work for me so I went with the intuitive way you would think that the ejector should face. With CCI stingers, mine ejects to the right and slightly rearward, like you want. Not so much with less powerful rounds. Bad design on this by Walther. I'm not saying his suggestion is wrong, just that it didn't work for me.

members.aol.com/snick24392/p22e.gif

Bags
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 11:48:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Custom-X_Sponjah] [#3]
Just picked up a Target Model from my local Pawn Shop for $250 OTD..

I took it straight to the woods, loaded up the 3 mags that came with it.

Federal Bulk Pack from Wal-Mart (it had gotten wet and was marked down to $5/550rnd box, I bought 5.5k).

Squeezed the trigger, POP...

After all the horror stories I have read in this thread I was surprised to even have it fire.

Kept squeezing, POP, POP, POP....

Mag ran empty, slide locked back.

Inserted a fresh magazine, proceeded to shoot it.

Mag ran empty, slide locked back.

I repeated this cycle until the 550rnd box was empty.

Not One Failure!!

AB on Barrel

BxxxxxxA Serial

CXS

Link Posted: 9/26/2009 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Very good info thanks guys
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 12:57:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought mine a earlier this year and have fired a few hundred rds thru it.  Here are some observations....

There is the occasional FTF, but could be due to ammo.  No other malfunctions.
I have only used Federal bulk, I tried some Eley but it refused to feed.  a polishing of the feed ramp is in order.
I cleaned it after 100 rds and metal shavings were everywhere.  Be sure to clean early and often until the gun is broken in.
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 1:11:43 AM EDT
[#6]
How did I not see this thread.  I took to much metal off the hammer and now it won't reset.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 1:20:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Good post. Mine was crap for a while but after many thousand rounds it runs almost 100% now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Went to the range with my suppressed setup, and now the slide won't lock back.  I noticed a while back that it didn't always lock back the slide, didn't think anything of it.  Now even if I push up on the slide release, as soon as I let go it won't hold it.  Looks like the metal is completely worn off, guessing the slide is pot-metal and the slide release is steel.  

Should I send it back?  I don't mind if it doesn't lock back but its mildly annoying.  I am worried it will crack down the slide right there too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#9]
tag, taking a chance on a used one for $150
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine generally runs fine, except that it gets dirty really fast when suppressed.  I will try some of these tricks anyway, as I do get a lot of stovepipes once it gets dirty.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Just picked up a gray P22 with 3.4" & 5" bar. Took it to range Sat., pull the trigger on D/A, nothing!!  Fires fine on S/A. Anyone else have this issue?
Link Posted: 4/10/2011 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Never a problem with mine 500+ rounds
found out quick to use HVrds, I currently use CCI
Those extended barrel types have always had issues
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Shall I use CCI Mini Mags to have mine work fine?

I currently have 1000 rounds of Winchester Super X high velocity 40grain with the copper coating, and some Remington Thunderbolt.  I don't really want to take a dremel to it  My wife doesn't want me to either - it is her pistol.   I have the following problems:

1) Won't lock back after empty mag sometimes
2) Have failure to feed issues sometimes - like it just won't feed at all.  Rock the slide and it feeds the second time.
3) Failure to fire sometimes - Firing pin strikes the round and nothing.
4) Failure to extract - stovepipes, locking the slide open sometimes.
5) Crazy extractions into my face

I have seen some posts saying that CCI mini-mags and CCI Velocities or something like that are good rounds for these...  I don't mind buying a special kind of ammo for this thing as 22LR isn't very expensive anyways...  Love the gun - hate the issues - it is accurate when it works
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 7:03:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SoupNazi:

I currently have 1000 rounds of Winchester Super X high velocity 40grain with the copper coating, and some Remington Thunderbolt.  I don't really want to take a dremel to it  My wife doesn't want me to either - it is her pistol.   I have the following problems:

2) Have failure to feed issues sometimes - like it just won't feed at all.  Rock the slide and it feeds the second time.

I have seen some posts saying that CCI mini-mags and CCI Velocities or something like that are good rounds for these...  I don't mind buying a special kind of ammo for this thing as 22LR isn't very expensive anyways...  Love the gun - hate the issues - it is accurate when it works

Ok - I bought some CCI mini-mag and some CCI Velocitor.  I'm hoping to head to the range later today (weather permitting).  I'll let you know if an unmodified recent model of the walther P22 works better with these ammo varieties.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Another broken slide

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Ok - I bought some CCI mini-mag and some CCI Velocitor.  I'm hoping to head to the range later today (weather permitting).  I'll let you know if an unmodified recent model of the walther P22 works better with these ammo varieties.

Wow - all five of the problems disappeared with both types of CCI rounds.  I noticed that the slide action was a lot more violent which is what was needed.  I had to shoot quick as it was raining so no idea on accuracy.  It will be forever more mini-mags for me in 22LR - I will never buy another type of round for any 22LR weapons I have.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I am having no problems with the P22 - my son who is a more limp wristed shooter is having less problems but still some.  This pistol needs to remain level while shooting (which shouldn't be a problem in 22LR).  I have put at least 4 magazines of CCI minimag and had 0 malfunctions myself.  Accuracy was great also (gun outshooting me).  So - if you have a recent Walther P22 - just make sure you use CCI minimags and don't dremel up your gun
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 12:13:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I have never had a problem with mine and I am planning on getting a can for it :)
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 4:35:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Forest] [#19]
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Multiple thousands of rounds of CCI MiniMags through my P22 and every once in a while it will give me an issue.

I'd say it averages about one stoppage every 200 rds or so.

Not bad for a pistol i paid $175 for with a bunch of mags.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 12:27:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I just snagged one from Davidson's in case I have any issues.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I do not recommend removing the magazine safety.  Before I removed it I had no FTF, after I removed it there was slack in the magazine and I had about 20 FTF at the range, always with the first 2-3 rounds.    IMHO mag safety is no big deal on a range toy, trainer, plinker.  I put it back In because I need the weapon to function well when I get my silencer soon.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 11:37:19 PM EDT
[#23]
mine snapped a year ago too, the slide, right behind the front sights. sent it off, they fixed it, but i am sure it will happen again. the lock open slide already rounded off.. so it doesn't hold open on last shot. just got the ruger sr22... the walther that never was!! man, i don't think i will ever shoot my walther again after this purchase.
my first ruger ever.. and man, i love it!!! no issues. even with it being brand new (i remember my walther p22 took many many rounds to break in)... this was great from the get go... and i have tried over 10 types of 22LR and all work flawlessly...
sorry, got off a bit.
walther, pooo poo
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I guess they made improvements with it?  I just bought one about a month ago, the OD model.  Only ran about 50 rounds through it with federal bulk copper jacketed hp and it ran without any issues.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:32:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CaribouLou45] [#25]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gator:
I guess they made improvements with it?  I just bought one about a month ago, the OD model.  Only ran about 50 rounds through it with federal bulk copper jacketed hp and it ran without any issues.
View Quote

The P22 of last few years looks like PPQ. I have yet to see a slide break on the current model however I purchased one last year after checking one out... I didn't thoroughly check out the exact one they gave me in the store. Got home and the magazine was impossible to release unless you pushed the mag up, the sights were sloppy and off, and the inside of the slide was shaving metal. I didn't even fire the damn thing and sold it the next day at a loss of $50. I see on gunbroker some sights are fubarred and some are perfect. So IDK what the deal is but definitely make sure you check out everything on these guns before you decide to buy one. Maybe I got a lemon IDK.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#26]
This is an old thread, but the PPQ 22 kicks the shit out of the P22, no mods necessary.  Not sure why they even bother to make it anymore.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Great thread, I see these for dirt cheap from time to time. Thank ye!
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Hornetdriver:
Here is what happened to mine after 4727 rounds, with a lot of CCI Stinger use. Link

Now have 6850 through it with 2305 through the suppressor. Above "hmaverick" mentioned not using "stingers", probably good advice in general but they really work well in this gun.

Overall I love the gun: Light, can suppress it, accurate, fun, inexpensive. On page 8 of this thread I posted 5 steps that helped me make it work better. Bags

I did 5 things to make my p22 100% reliable. I think with a newer version of the gun (AG on the barrel and mags with letter "A") this will work. I can now shoot almost any kind of 22 LR with no problems. Will reliably feed hollow points. Works much better with High Velocity ammo. CCI Mini-Mags and especially CCI Stinger or Quik-Shok work the best.

Note: Member "1917-1911M" is awesome with his expertise.

1) Smooth out hammer: (Link below, start with 5th picture down).

www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152391

2) Smooth where the feed ramp meets the barrel. (start with 5 picture down on page). Link:

www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152397

3) Stretch extractor spring to give it more tension. (3rd picture down)

www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152384

4) Fix safety from engaging while shooting. ( 1st pic, about 6 post down by member "1917-1911M").

www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64717&page=2

5) Modify ejector. But I found that I had to modify it just the opposite that he has suggested in his picture i.e. modify the face so that it slants from 10:00 to 4:00 if looking at it from the top of the gun, which is opposite what he suggests in the picture. His way didn't work for me so I went with the intuitive way you would think that the ejector should face. With CCI stingers, mine ejects to the right and slightly rearward, like you want. Not so much with less powerful rounds. Bad design on this by Walther. I'm not saying his suggestion is wrong, just that it didn't work for me.

members.aol.com/snick24392/p22e.gif

Bags
View Quote

This post becomes farking useless if you delete the photos you linked to.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#29]
You can find the info over at waltherforums.com
I think it is called the p22 bible?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Tagged

image host
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#31]
After radiusing of the hammer what do you use to refinish the bare metal?
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By xanadu:
tag, never had a problem with mine, but the info is good to have.
View Quote
This has been my experience as well.  Never even cleaned the thing and it still runs right along with filthy gummy subsonic ammunition, like steel case Russian .22s.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:02:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By WalkerTexasRanger:
I did some reading over at the Walther Forum and they said it has nothing to do with an L in the prefix.  What to look for is the AA AB AC AD AE on the barrel.  AA='00 AB="01 etc.  They said as long as the barrel is AD indicating '03 production, or later it should be just fine.  And yes, the "good" mags are the ones with the "A" in the #.  That and the stainless mags...  Hope this helps!!!
View Quote
After reading your post, I had to check mine.  I got "AE" on the barrel and "A" marked on all three mags.  Thanks for posting.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm looking at the one I just bought earlier in the month.   Is this the barrel mark you are talking about?  Not seeing anything on the actual barrel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#35]
old thread but good info here .

My p22 has been good no issues other than the front sight, replaced it with a hiviz and never looked back

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Bought a 4 digit #SN new at the Kitzigen Rod & Gun in 2004…fired maybe 300 rounds through it since new…had an issue with the grub screw #71 getting loose in the stabilizer assembly #52…to include once at the NRA indoor range in Fairfax. Greentop in Freddy fixed it about 2006…but after years of being a safe queen, took it to my local club for a session…daggone grub screw worked itself out so I was ready to get rid of it…on a whim, contacted Walther customer service by email.  They indicated the stabilizer assembly sounded like it wore out. CSR provided me FedEx label and instructions to resend to Fort Smith.  Today, got a nice visit from FedEx…signed for it, opened the box, and presto…new stabilizer assy and grub screw, plus a few other upgrades applied.   Lifetime warranty!  Even the shipping was free!  So…BRAVO ZULU Walther customer service!!!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:45:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JupiterMaximus] [#37]
I’ve had a P22 since 2003, have yet to have a single issue from it. Mine loves stingers.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top