Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 12:06:28 AM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By OldSwampDog:
I must be lucky, I bought a P22 at the funshow in Sept of 05 to compliment my P99C, P990-9MM and P990-40S&W. I have put 1400 rounds through the P22  and nary a problem. I have been shooting cheap shit . I have not made a mod, lubed it or cleaned it.

Here is the ammo and round ct.

Win VP - 491

Stinger - 100 (1st ammo shot)

Rem VP HP - 826

So...... barrel code? AD or newer?  Is the gun itself an L-series, N-series?

Don't keep us in suspense on the sweet set-up!

I wish everyone who's had a great out-of-the-box shooter (i.e. one that they haven't had to play doctor with) would include this information.
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By mfingar:
My chamber finally wore-out just short of 10,000 rounds.

It started with a few FTE's, with the cartridges getting stuck in the chamber..really stuck hard..

After examining the spent rounds, I noticed the cases were expanding after the round was shot, wedging them in the chamber.

Other than that, I've had no issues.
A new barrel is on the way.

Was this w/ a 3.42" or 5" bbl?

What was your old bbl date coded, and what was the new/replacement one?
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I own 2 P22s both work fine they like to be lubed well and will fire even the cheap stuff as long as they are wet. One I bought from a guy for a 100 bucks at the range cause he was fed up with it, it kept jamming, I offered to see if I could fix it for him and he said I could have the piece of crap cheap if I wanted it 100 dollar bill and it was mine he packed up and left pulled a can of rem oil out of my bag doused it a little and proceeded to shoot 300 rounds of some cheap federal without one stoppage. The guns tend to have a little drag in the actions so either a little lube or a little stoneing takes care of the problems. Nice cheap 22 in my opinion if you want a precision piece pick up a Berreta 87 now those are sweet
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have owned my P22 for a year. It jammed like crazy before I got the right ammo. I use a nice rounded ammo (Remington's from Walmart, $9 for 1100 rounds) I have shot over 5k rounds threw it now with maybe 4-8 jams! While still staying within 1 in at 30 yards. It is my fav. gun to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 2:20:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#5]
OK, but can you hit anything with it?

Mine functioned OK but it went back to the factory because it wasn't hitting anywhere near point of aim. When I got it back it shot in the vincinity of where I was aiming but wouldn't group worth shit*. Only thing I could figure is that they're making dinner plates a lot bigger now.

I sold mine.

*Just in case anyone is tempted to blame operator error, you should know that I once made a 1,000 yard shot with a High Standard pistol in Laos that only one or two guys on the planet could have made (and the other guy is dead now) . . .
Link Posted: 12/19/2007 12:26:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking that if I chunked this little piece of shit in the lake that I would have to shove a dollar into the mag well just so I could say I threw something away.  I have tinkered with mine and it is better now, but I'm still mad at it.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2007 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By SHADI:
I was thinking that if I chunked this little piece of shit in the lake that I would have to shove a dollar into the mag well just so I could say I threw something away.  I have tinkered with mine and it is better now, but I'm still mad at it.  

What letter does the serial # start with, what is the date code on the bbl, and is there a suffix on the S/N of your mag(s)?
Link Posted: 12/19/2007 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By wise_jake:
What letter does the serial # start with, what is the date code on the bbl, and is there a suffix on the S/N of your mag(s)?

L20****
The barrel has an AH on it.
the mag # has a -B on it
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By wise_jake:

L20****

Interesting.  I wish I had better insight into what the "L" series refers to, exactly.

I originally thought the subsequent "N" series was less likely to have problems, but had enough ppl trying to convince me it was barrel- or mag-related, but I have begun to return to the hypothesis that they're all important factors.

The barrel has an AH on it.

AH = 2007 manufacture (from what I've read)

the mag # has a -B on it

3rd-gen stainless(?) mags

According to the "rules" (the ones that say the bbl and mags have more to do with it), you should be golden.

I wonder what variables were changed in the mfg process between the "L" and "N" series lowers.....?
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Well what i thought was going to be a cool X-mas gift turned out to be a turd. Couldn't wait to try it out and the first 50 rounds 20! F'ing fail. (American eagle ammo) Took it into the shop it was purchased at today. The owner said they need the higher price ammo.... i have a Mark II that will burn everything, hummm. He will take it in on trade at -30% the original sale price .

For anyone that wants to know there is an A on the mags and AH on barrel and L at the start of the seriel no.
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#11]
WOW... I saw these at a gun show the other week and thought they felt nice in my hand.. BUT after only reading the first page, I certainly dont want to own one.. I prefer items that work as advertised out of the box

b
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 9:23:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SHADI] [#12]
Okay, maybe I jumped the gun a bit.  I had a week vacation and put a ton of ammo through this thing, and I have to say it is improving.  I burned a lot of misc crap that I had, mostly Federal and some Winchester and about 100 CCI minimags, and 250 Aguaila (spelling?)
The last two fifty round boxes of Aguaila, not one malfunction.  Accuracy improved somewhat as I learned the proper hold and trigger control. It is definitely not like any other 22 pistol I have had.  
So I'm seeing some hope for the little Walther. Maybe I just expected too much from a new gun that needed some time to break in.
I'm not tickled sh!tless yet, but I am a lot happier.

ETA:
12/30/07
fired 100 Federals and 150 Remington thunderbolts no malfunctions.
I am now officially tickled sh!tless.
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#13]
crap i wish that i would have seen all this before i just bought one tonight
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Originally Posted By thatguy:
WOW... I saw these at a gun show the other week and thought they felt nice in my hand.. BUT after only reading the first page, I certainly dont want to own one.. I prefer items that work as advertised out of the box

b

i have had my P22 for about 7-8 months and havent had a single problem with it. a few mis-fires but i am pretty sure that was the ammo. keep in mind that the posts on the first page are from 2005.
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#15]

12/30/07
fired 100 Federals and 150 Remington thunderbolts no malfunctions.
I am now officially tickled sh!tless.

Thunderbolts are the worst ammo ever.   The lead is so soft you'll have a fully leaded barrel and be shooting keyholes in less than 250 rounds.  Seriously.

Link Posted: 2/5/2008 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#16]
thanks for the info -
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#17]
ost
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 8:43:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ar-15TechGuy] [#18]
I have one that is NOT a turd...

I bought this for my kids to beat on at the range with me while I was shooting. Something they could handle that wouldn't cost a pile to shoot...

Have run around 2k rnds through ours so far. 3 times we took it out to the range and put 500 rnd 'beat downs' on it. 2 kids can easily run 500 rnds through this in an hour or two. 550 rnds of Federal FMJ. one time, 500 rnds of the Win lead HP stuff once, mostly shoot cheapest ammo we can find out of this gun...

Out of all the ammo we have shot out of this gun we have had no issues at all with the exception of about 3 times that the slide closed on an empty chamber and we had to cycle the action to load another round.  I blame this on cheap ammo that did not have enough 'ass' to properly cycle the action...       NO other problems or issues for us out of this handgun. Works well for us even when dirty.  Excellent purchase IMO.

Bought New in 2007
Serial Number: L191***
Barrel Marking: AH (3.42")
Magazine Markings: Stainless Steel, Made in Germany, 44-A  

Link Posted: 2/8/2008 11:32:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By sed6:
How I made my P22 suck:

1) I broke the extractor doing the mentioned peen fix

2) I cut my hammer spring shorter so it doesn't protrude from the back of the gun...

WTF!

Yeah, bad idea on the spring...it now rolls back into the hammer and renders the gun non-functional!    Don't do it!

So I called my local gunsmith and asked for the parts, he said no-go, both are factory replacable parts only, but for $25 he can send it to S&W (Walther) for me.  Yeah sure.  So I called Walther hoping to tell my tale of stupidity and get a promise of a quick repair from them for a minimal price.  What I got instead was completely unexpected...

Me:  I have two broken parts on my P22
Walther: Which ones?
M: My extractor and my hammer spring.
W: How old is the gun?
M: Kinda old.
W: How old?
M: 6-9 months.
W: I see!  Can I send you those parts?
M: Uh, sure.  You can do that?
W: Sure, what's your address...

Now, if/when my parts show up in the promised 4-10 days I'll be an extremely pleased customer!

Once I get it back up and running I'm sure I'll be pleased with the other de-suckification changes I made (plus I got a can coming)

The parts did show up, in about a week.  I slapped them on and off I went.  I've since put about 1k rounds through it of every type.  Except for the occasional limp wristed malfunction, it runs like a champ.  I've also put on a TAC65 silencer made by Tactical Innovations.  This makes the gun even more fun to shoot as now I don't need to wear ears!
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 5:31:54 AM EDT
[#20]
The white dot in my front sight fell out after only about 4 mags through a brand new p22. Now there is just a little black hole

Info:
L s/n
AH date code
B marked stainless mags

however the gun ran through maybe 300-400 rounds with out many proplems at all. I noticed that a few mags of CCI vilocity ended with the last round being a stove pipe. I even tryed to limp wrist the pistol to make a jam. Accuracy was great out to 10 yards(I didnt shoot past that)
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I've had my P22 out to the range twice.  First time i was using remmington ammo, fired probably 2-300 rounds without a single problem.  Today I started with remmington and no issues, switched to federal and started to have some fail to extracts, and some fail to feeds.  Lubed the pistol, and that made a huge difference.  But I did notice a difference between the two brands of ammo.  Oddly, the second round seemed to fail to feed the most often, with the rest of the magazine firing smoothly, even under rapid fire.  Not overly impressed with accuracy, but it's a blast to shoot.  My paperwork just came in for my Tac 65 suppressor, which I will be picking up tomorrow morning, (along with some decent ammo) so I'm sure I'll end up at the range again this weekend.  So far I'm a happy owner, and the smiles on my friends faces as they emptied the mags showed they liked it too.    
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By ak4784:
The white dot in my front sight fell out after only about 4 mags through a brand new p22. Now there is just a little black hole

Info:
L s/n
AH date code
B marked stainless mags

however the gun ran through maybe 300-400 rounds with out many proplems at all. I noticed that a few mags of CCI vilocity ended with the last round being a stove pipe. I even tryed to limp wrist the pistol to make a jam. Accuracy was great out to 10 yards(I didnt shoot past that)

your pistol didn't come with extra front sights?  Mine came with 3 differnt sizes, thats why they pop out, so you can switch them up.  You should be able to find a new one easily.
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought a green P22 at medina county gun show about 4 months ago and in the bottom of the case I discovered this entire thread in it.  The headline scared me when I read "How I made my P22 not suck".  I was pissed off the whole way home and thought I bought someone elses junk.  But when I got home I unloaded about 10-20 full magazines of stingers and never had a problem.  I was just wondering if anyone knew whos gun this originally was and why they got rid of it.  I think this is my new favorite RF gun including my 10-22 target.
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 12:50:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:

*Just in case anyone is tempted to blame operator error, you should know that I once made a 1,000 yard shot with a High Standard pistol in Laos that only one or two guys on the planet could have made (and the other guy is dead now) . . .

Inside joke?
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Been wanting a p99 real bad lately (still searching) so i bougth one of these to tide me over.. pawn/gun shop had one used in box for 279, i could tell it didnt have more than 10 rounds through it, had everything box in even the blue little tab that comes in the chamber when you buy it. So i bought!

(not aware of peoblems people here are having) i think its AH or something like that, i forget the letters but we looked it up it was made in 2007, and it had mags with a B on them..

Took it to the range, put remminging gold value pack crap from walmart through it, surprisingly it ATE it all up, only 1 failed to fire.. My ruger MK III bull barrel coughts and hiccups on these ALLL the time (ruger is fairly new, only about 700 rounds through it). So this little p22 eats EVERYTHIGN surprisingly, tho i still feel remmington is pure crap ammo, ...

I did have some accuracy issues, mine shot to the left alot... after putting it on the rest and adjusting the screen i was able to get it to keep groups of about 1 or 1 1/2 inches at 25 feet with iron sights from the bench rest, then a giant spider came out and started hiding near our spot so me having extreme arachanaphobia decided it was okay time to leave :D.. going back to today to put some more through it..

I think we probably put ohh 100 to 150 rounds through it? not a single problem besides that 1 remm that didnt fire.. (and rem is crap).

Sorry some of you have had horror stories but this little gun is great fun! and shoots ammo less picky that my ruger mkIII go figure! (the ruger will fail to fire or extract one rem out of about every 4  or 5, but its getting better the more and more i shoot it.

Just thought i'd relate my experience, its fun little gun and if i can just get it to feel more accurate and i think it will be a great plinker!
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 5:20:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Electricview] [#26]

Originally Posted By jeffm1000:

Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:

Inside joke?

Sounds alot like mel gibsons speech from lethal weapon , cept I dont believe he ever  mentioned a high standard
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's what I did to my POS p22.

Receiver plate screws can be the biggest enemy of reliability and accuracy. Drift out the 2 roll pins holding the receiver in the pistol frame, hold the bolt catch down and remove the receiver from the frame. Lift bolt catch off and observe relationship of spring and bolt catch. There are 2 phillips head screws on the right side of the receiver, unscrew them, clean them, apply blue loc-tite and screw them back in tight and wipe off the excess. Reverse process to reassemble.

Polish the trigger bar ears unless you like a gouged slide.

Polish the sear and hammer profile a little so it catches earlier--this lightens up the action but should only be done by someone with experience.

Polish the feed ramps with a dremel tool.

The ejector mod does not make a significant improvement in the ejection of the brass, so its not necessary. If you think it is you can have one of my 2 extra ejectors.

I reworked the extractor so it sits closer to the cartridge rim by filing some of the metal away from the side of the extractor that sits inside the pistol frame, then I accented the shape of the extractor hook away from the L shape to more of a J shape. It only helped a little with the extraction and ejection of the brass, reduced chances of catching brass in the face from 8% to 2%.

The safety ears are to be removed, and the mating surface of the safety ears (flat C-shaped part) are to be filed down about .04". This will cause them to sit closer to the slide and have more friction, so they won't drop into SAFE on you while firing.

You could have always bought a Ruger or a Browning.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Just did everything except remove the mag safety and fileing down the hammer. Much better!! I'm not getting hit in the face and i can shoot cheap crappy hollow points!!! Thanks guys!!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#29]
TAG
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I've yet to have a problem with my P22 with or without my YHM silencer using subs or standard velocity but if I do I have this thread, thanks for all the info
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By superdav:
I've yet to have a problem with my P22 with or without my YHM silencer using subs or standard velocity but if I do I have this thread, thanks for all the info

You must that 1 in 1,000,000. I bought one for my daughter and we took it out to the range last weekend. It won't feed 40 grain Federal standard velocity, and if you load the magazine with only 5 rounds (regardless of type of ammo) if fails to eject the first round with erie regularity.

I don't know who designed this thing, but it needs a lot of work, and I don't call that a usable firearm.

I'll certainly find a way to make it reliable.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 11:42:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By MouseAR:
Originally Posted By superdav:

You must that 1 in 1,000,000. I bought one for my daughter and we took it out to the range last weekend. It won't feed 40 grain Federal standard velocity, and if you load the magazine with only 5 rounds (regardless of type of ammo) if fails to eject the first round with erie regularity.

I don't know who designed this thing, but it needs a lot of work, and I don't call that a usable firearm.

I'll certainly find a way to make it reliable.

I only have a little less than 1,000 rounds through mine (almost all suppressed), but I can count on one hand how many feeding/ejecting problems I've had.  And I'm BAD about cleaning it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#33]
A bunch of you guys are talking about your silencers. I live in jersey and I can't get one. Anyone wanna "secure" one for me, and we'll work something out? Seriously...
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Pault:
Originally Posted By adrock1978:
A bunch of you guys are talking about your silencers. I live in jersey and I can't get one. Anyone wanna "secure" one for me, and we'll work something out? Seriously...

Listen, Ive seen some of the pics you post, the last thing I would be thinking about would be a supressor !!!
LUCKY !

Hahahaha! Nice...
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#37]
The best way I have found to keep these little bastards from sucking is to throw the son of a bitch oi the lake. Mine has been sent in for repairs since 10/08
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:07:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dossantos] [#38]
For what it's worth, I purchased a new black 3.4" P22 a month or so ago in Atlanta for $279. It is an L261XXX serial number gun.

I have 500 rounds through it. 200 of CCI Mini-Mag, and 300 of Federal Game-Shok.

Not one single feeding problem or jam.

Perfect gun so far.

The mini-mags have been slightly more accurate, so i bought more of those, as well as some Velocitors that I will shoot soon.
Link Posted: 1/7/2009 2:04:44 AM EDT
[#39]
i wouldn't recommend shooting anything hypersonic like the Stinger or Velocitor out of a semi 22.  Those should be kept to the bolt-action variety rifle.  Beats the hell out of the gun and you could actually crack your slide...
Link Posted: 1/7/2009 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#40]
ive run about 2000 rounds of federal bulk pack though mine its been flawless except when my wife or sister shot it they were a bit limp wristed and once they stiffened up the Walther ran great...  .  
i feel i got my moneys worth ....
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I've never really had any problems with mine. I do have to keep a good bit of oil on it, but i think it's a good gun.
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By GonzoAR15-1:
3.     Add a trigger stop.   I put mine right at the very bottom, in the frame of the gun and not on the trigger itself.  Works great.   The P22 is so light that any tiny amount of overtravel by the trigger will throw off point of aim.  My grouping is MUCH MUCH better since I did this.   Some folks use rubber O rings around the trigger for the same effect (nice non permanent mod).

I am curious to know how you made/attached your trigger stop.  Pictures are worth 1000 words.

I've got a bid on a Walther P22 auction right now and am hoping to have one by the end of next week.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't have one of each to compare
in a side by side test, but it seems
that the Nickle slide is a lot smoother
when cycling by hand, and seems to
shoot the bulk ammo better.

My hunch is that the blackening finish,
what ever it may be, seems to be gritty.
And Nickle has good lubricity properties...

Just food for thought for anyone making
a new purchase. I will keep this in mind
for any future purchases, as well. It seems
that this might be a simple way to add
reliabilty for firearms that have a Nickle
slide option...

YMMV

Johnny C!
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 10:13:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yankeesfan81] [#44]
I have had my P22 for 2 yrs now.  I hav eput roughly 2k rounds through it with about 10-15 FTE and FTFs using Remington.  I bought a box of Winchester and my P22 HATES them.  I was jamming and FTE and FTF about every other round.  Went back to Remington and everything is great.  Other than being picky with Winchester ammo, I have no regrets buying one. I guess I must be lucky with mine or something.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Has Walther made any changes or improvements  to the P22 in the last 3 years?
Link Posted: 3/1/2009 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#46]
I just bought one these a week ago and I love it so far.  No feeding problems or anything.  Only 200 rds so far, but each one went into the chamber fine and each one went bang when I pulled the trigger.  Used some 20 yr old Remington ammo and some Remington Sub Sonic ammo and both worked fine.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 3:55:44 AM EDT
[#47]
What's the going price for the Nickel P22? Local dealer has one for sale NIB for 370, seemed kinda high but son really wants it. Too much???
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 12:51:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Im a little surprised that there are so many people on here saying how their P22 had a lot of problems. I got mine in probably 04 or very early 05 and I have never had any trouble with it. I probably shoot that more than any other pistol I own. Thousands of rounds through it without a hiccup.
It was a perfect match for the p99 I got in 2004.

I am looking at getting the PPS (think that is what the designation is). The slim line model. Looks very nice from the things Ive seen on it.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:32:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fulautotank] [#49]
My P22 messed up the other day. The slide catch notch on the slide sheared off. I have had this gun for many years and put alot of rounds through it.
I ended up taking a file to it and it now works fine again.

Not sure how long it will last though.

Oh yeah, mine has always eaten every thing I put in it with out a hitch.
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#50]
My dad and I both have P22's and we came to the conclusion that the recoil spring was too stout and would cause feeding issues. I sat there and racked the slide about 100 times and noticed a big difference from just working that spring a little.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top