Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2010 4:22:39 PM EDT
I have what's left of a bag of 50 from 1998 (stamped on the bag). They're a 155gr Gold Dot, supposed to do 1300fps from whatever pistol barrel length they used.

Now, I'm well aware that there is no SAAMI spec for +P let alone +P+ .40 ammo. This is what Georgia Arms sold at the time. I shot a few way back when through a Kahr K40 (steel frame) and put the rest in my safe.

Yesterday I bought a Kel Tec Sub2000 carbine (16" barrel). I remembered these rounds and dug them out from the "stash". I wondered what they would do from a carbine-length barrel. I don't have many left so I fired a few for function (did fine) and 3 over the chrono. I'd like to load a hi-cap Glock mag with these specifically for the Sub2000 as I don't really want to shoot them out of a handgun anymore since they're so hot.

The three rounds averaged 1567fps (1543, 1572, 1587) from the Sub2000! For a pistol cartridge (albeit hotter than hell above SAAMI specs) they let you know they're being fired, that's for sure.

I looked in an old(er) reloading manual and a 155gr .40 cal HP doing that speed should still be going ~1050fps at 150yds and drop ~15-16 inches. Not too shabby.
Link Posted: 7/28/2010 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Years ago Ramshot published data for their "Enforcer" powder in both the .40 and .45 ACP...out of my Para's barrel the .40 SW start load did 1357 fps with a 155gr XTP. I never bothered to go any higher. I wonder what that same load would do out of your rifle. I never saw any ill effects on the brass.
Link Posted: 7/28/2010 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Years ago Ramshot published data for their "Enforcer" powder in both the .40 and .45 ACP...out of my Para's barrel the .40 SW start load did 1357 fps with a 155gr XTP. I never bothered to go any higher. I wonder what that same load would do out of your rifle. I never saw any ill effects on the brass.

No bulging cases, no flattened primers. I'd be leery of it in a handgun but that Sub2000 is stout when cocking it. Not for a repeated diet of the stuff (which I don't have enough for anyway) but a mag's worth in those "when needed" situations it oughta suffice! I would suspect that even a black bear could be deterred if camping with the Sub2000.

Hell, it's like 580-some ft/lbs of energy at that velocity and weight.
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#3]
1537 FPS?

That's 10mm strong.

40 STRONG!

(new marketing slogan)
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 8:44:29 PM EDT
[#4]
40 is already on the ragged edge of it's pressure limits, I'd be damned if I'd fire that through most of the handguns on the market.
Link Posted: 7/30/2010 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
40 is already on the ragged edge of it's pressure limits, I'd be damned if I'd fire that through most of the handguns on the market.

No doubt. I do, however, feel a little more confident in the Sub2000. Ever cock one? It's recoil spring is pretty stout. That said, I still wouldn't fire a steady diet of it (not that I have more than a large mag's-worth left anyway).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top