Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2002 5:23:06 AM EDT
Well, what do they use, is it any good, and is it available to us normal people?
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Jetlag -

The US Military uses 124gr NATO-spec FMJ ammo.  For ball ammo, it is very good.  NATO-spec 9mm is loaded very hot and consequently has a relatively high velocity.  If I'm not mistaken, the velocity is supposed to average 1235 FPS to be NATO-spec.  If you need a handgun round that will penetrate any medium effectively, you can't beat this round in a handgun.  There are many better choices for self defense however, just about any 9mm JHP will perform better against non-armored personnel.

It is readily available too!  The online police supply site www.ombps.com sells the Winchester Q4318 9mm NATO Ball for $6.99 per box (50) and this is excellent stuff.  I bought a bunch from them and it showed up quickly and is the inexpensive practice ammo I use to simulate the Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ JHP risiding in my Glock 17 mags.  It fired cleanly, and accurately from my Glock 17.  Very hot but also very good.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the link BMANSAR15. That's a good price for 9mm NATO spec. Think I'll place an order with them.

The Winchester Ranger SXT 127gr +P+ JHP MV is 1250 fps, so the NATO spec is pretty darned close. Do you have a source for the Ranger SXT 127gr +P+? I didn't see it on the OMB website. I got some from Botach but I'm looking for another source.

Is it the RA9SXTP, RA9SXTA, or Q4280? I think the specs is the same in all of them, but the first two have the black lubalox coating and the last one doesn't.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 9:01:02 AM EDT
[#3]
No problem Big_Bear, glad I could help.  The Winchester NATO ball is awesome, in my opinion it is the best 9mm FMJ ammo you can buy.

As for the +P+ Ranger ammo, I use the RA9SXTP which is brass cased and has the black coating.  The velocity and performance of all three versions you've mentioned are the same I think, the difference being the latter is nickel cased and has no black lubalox (sp?) coating.  Unfortunately, I don't have any Internet links for this stuff and it's tough to find.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#4]
"RA9SXTP... it's tough to find"

Tell me about it. Botach was out of it and substituted Q4280 (after they OK'd it with me first). Do you get it from a LE supplier or something? I have a post up in EE to offer to trade some original Black Talon for it. The only responses I've gotten so far is some people who are interested in buying the Black Talon outright.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top