Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 11:36:19 AM EDT
I dont reload, carry, or handgun hunt.....but hot damn I want a 10mm!!! Closest thing to magnum revolver power in an auto....I want I want. Already have a 9mm. Is the ammo easy on your wallet?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quote: Is the ammo easy on your wallet?

No, not especially. 12 to 15 dollars is the norm for plinker, and it's rarely offered in a discount store such as WalMart.

Double Tap Ammo offers resonably priced top-of-the-line defensive ammo that's the best around, bar none.

Reloading for 10mm is not difficult or expensive after start-up.

I shoot a Glock 20, and it's my bedside gun - DT 165gr Golden Sabers @ 1425 fps!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Recently got a Glock 29.  I quickly (within a week) found myself buying a .40 S&W conversion barrel so I can actually find and afford ammunition.  $17 for a box of plinking ammunition is not cheap!

On the other hand I do look forward to getting some Double Taps!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:22:14 PM EDT
[#3]
10MM is not easy on your wallet, but then again is it HELL on your target.

it is a sick path you start upon, knowing that there might be one more 10MM out there that you can find and bring to the safety and love of your gun safe.

10MM - Hell Yes!!!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#4]
LEARN TO RELOAD!!

I haven't purchased store bought ammo in decades.

There are so many advantages to reloading:

Save money

Shoot more

Load HOT ammo

Just to name a few.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:39:52 AM EDT
[#5]
That is very convincing, but do I need a chronogrpah if I want to reload?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:48:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quote: do I need a chronogrpah if I want to reload?

No, but a chrony makes reloading a little more fun. They're not expensive - i gave $55 for mine, and they're not at all difficult to use.

The powder companies - Alliant, Hodgdon, Winchester, etc. publish free loading guides that include test velocities for their various reloading formulas. You can use this data to "ball-park" your own loads.

Reloading is, in and of itself, an entirely new set of obsessive-compulsive behaviours.

I haven't decided if I reload to shoot, or shoot to reload.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:04:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a 10mm G29 for woods carry and load it with Corbon or Double Tap ammo. For practice I use the Lower Cost and milder UMC load.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#8]
how are the EAA Witness 10mm handguns? The price is very very cheap, suitable enough to depend ones life on at all?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I would suggest the Glock 20 (full size) or Glock 29 (compact) in 10mm if you are going to break your 10 cherry.  Both are very proven and reliable.

I use a G29 for CCW.  Loaded w/  175 gr. Winchester Silvertips.   Hits hard past 100 yards.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Get one.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:46:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
how are the EAA Witness 10mm handguns? The price is very very cheap, suitable enough to depend ones life on at all?

very reliable.  I polished up the feed ramps of my eaa 10mm and it gave the gun the ability to chew on everything I fed it-even generic reloads from the fun shows.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#12]
There is lots of info out there on the 10mm.

I started with a couple glock 20s and a 29 and I think one 2nd gen 20 is still puttering around somewhere.  The grips are too big for me to be comfortable with them, I can shoot the gun fine but I don't like the grip.

I decided to get a kimber in 10mm and it is now my one gun for almost everything.  I also picked up a kimber target 22lr handgun for cheap plinking since I sometimes want something cheap and low recoil to shoot.

I still have some other guns in the safe and what not, but I figure my kimber can be my ccw once I get through my scheduled ccw class and the kimber can also be my woods gun as well.  

As far as ammo cost, I was shooting 40s&w lot before I got my 10mm and when I started pricing cases of ammo delivered to my door there was some price difference, but nothing worth worrying about since I preferred the 10mm round.

I recomend reloading as well, it is not expensive to get into and you will learn a whole lot more about bullets and their trajectory and everything else by reloading.  I consider it a skill well worth having.

Overall the 10mm is an amazing round and I think it is well worth the cost of entry if you choose to make that choice.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I conceal carry my G20 and I think it's DEFINATELY worth it but it isn't cheap on the wallet
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#14]
i own and carry a Glock 29......though I dont shoot it much due to the cost of ammo ....but I get plenty of practice with  my .45 and 9 mm .

Regards
Will
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#16]
^^ I can agree with the smile.  Dad and I have .40 and .45s.  A guy at the range was shooting a Glock that was making loud bangs, we asked what model, it was the G29.  Dad was like huh?!? What caliber is that?  10mm... Dad walked away with a smile on his face after ripping off a magazine full.

10mm has a loud bark and a mean bite.  The G29 is a small if you have big bear hands.  Dad couldn't get his last finger on it and only some of his ring finger but he still enjoyed the gun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#17]
The 29 is just a cut down 20, I had one and the problem I always had was the overall size of the grip.

My hand fits great on the smaller frame glocks, from 27 to 23 to 22 the length of the grip is not a problem it is the overall circumfrence or whatever that measurement would be.

But a 1911 works well for me.  I need to get some skinny grips for my kimber and I will be very happy with my choice in handgun.

As others have said though, you can find used 10mms like the s&w semi auto that are well built and most likely a good buy.  Just keep in mind some folks talking s&w may be talking about the 610 revolver which is a 10mm revolver.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top