Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 6:08:53 AM EDT
I am in the market for some decent .45 ammo for target/ range use .
Price is an issue but so is quality and accuracy .

From past experience I know I like Federal American Eagle to fit these requirements .

Lately I have bought Remington ( the old UMC brand )  Ball .  but haven't really tried this yet .
The Remmy runs $10 a box at the local Dicks sporting goods .

Fed AE is hard to find locally .

What about Hungarian ?? I have read that it is good also .
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:22:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I vote Wolf.  If you're lucky you can find it on sale for about $8 a box.  I hate their .223 ammo, but the pistol ammo is pretty good.  It's good blasting ammo.  CCI Blazer Brass is great.  It's cleaner, brass cased, reloadable, more accurate, and only about $1-$2 more per box.  UMC is fine, but I don't think it's as accurate as CCI.  My 1911 and Sig 220 run all 3 of these brands very well.  Bottom line, get into reloading, you can make WAY better practice ammo for about $5.50 for 50.  MJD

ETA:  I think the poll is FUBAR.  It didn't count my vote.  Hey, look at that, I sound like a whiney liberal.  MJD
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#2]
i voted for cci blazer.  unless you reload the aluminum cases are fine.  one issue you might want to look at is does the manual for the firearm specifically say no steel or aluminum cased ammo.  iirc hk says no to both and ruger says no steel.  now whether or not that will actually do any damage at all to your firearm is beyon me.  i just wanted to mention that.  

at natchez 1000 rounds of wolf is $20 cheaper than cci blazer.  and blazer brass is only $2 more.  and it is much better ammo imho.  i will be buying a case of 9mm shortly from there and it will most definitely be the blazer brass.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#3]
WOLF!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:23:37 AM EDT
[#4]
How can you ask what the best ammo is for both blasting AND target?  The two are exclusive.  Blasting ammo is cheap, often dirty, low in terminal performance, and not usually accurate.  Target ammo is not as cheap, better in performance, and more accurate.  Price is going to differ.  What you are asking for is a middle of the road ammo that is decently accurate and not overly expensive.  Most of the stuff you find at a moderate price will fit this bill.  Buy what's on sale.  If you want target ammo, go get some of the better stuff.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes I suppose that there is a difference between blasting and target . I guess that I want more of the target stuff but not necessarily " Match grade "
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had good luck with Independence (Brazilian) and MFS (Hungarian). IMO they are both better than WWB.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:07:03 AM EDT
[#7]
CCI in brass if you reload, alluminum if you don't.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:08:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
CCI in brass if you reload, alluminum if you don't.

+1

Blazer Brass from Wally World
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:08:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:40:44 AM EDT
[#10]
WOLF
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#11]
fiocchi, shoots better in my kimber than about anything,
I don't shoot wolf....and I don't eat horse
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#12]
What's wrong with horse other than it's bland?  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Magtech is another option.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I just picked up a case of the MFS Hungarian 45. Have not got to run any through my 1911 yet.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#15]
FIOCCHI KICKS BUTT! YOU CAN SHOOT ANYTHING THROUGH AN HK.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#16]
My Sig loves CCI, tolerates Magtech. WWB ok, too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#17]
UMC - 100% sure fire in I couldn't even begin to guess how many rounds downrange between my dad, brothers and I. couple tens of thousands?

(I'm not IPSC so don't laugh- I don't blast 1000 rounds downrange at a crack!)
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Magtech is pretty good stuff as well. Buddy of mine has put at least 200 rounds of it through his 45 and not a single problem with it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I have shot alot of wolf 45 acp. I reload, so I mostly shoot homebrew.
The wolf that I have shot has been fairly accurate and functioned perfectly in my 1911.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I suggest you if you shoot alot that you start reloading. I can reload a box of 230 gr. SWC for a little over $4 a box. You get the best of both worlds. Cheap and accurate.

Plus, reloading is alot of fun. I enjoy it almost as much as shooting. Which is good cause I shoot alot.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
i voted for cci blazer.  unless you reload the aluminum cases are fine.  one issue you might want to look at is does the manual for the firearm specifically say no steel or aluminum cased ammo.  iirc hk says no to both and ruger says no steel.  now whether or not that will actually do any damage at all to your firearm is beyon me.  i just wanted to mention that.  

IIRC HK only says no aluminum or steel ammo in the P7 series.  They don't work too well with the fluted chambers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I voted other, for CCI brass, 7.99/50 at Natches: Link

Actually I see they raies it to $8.26.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I started out using WWB (wal-mart).  No issues other than a bit dirtier than other ammo I subsequently tried.

Good price/quality/availability

At a recent gun show, I bought 500rnds of Georgia Arms .45ACP for about $110 out the door, the .30 cal ammo can was factored in included .

The bullet is somewhat more tapered/Teepee like than WWB.  All new brass but different manufacturers .

No major issues at the range and just marginally cleaner than WWB.  I did have one slow 'feed'  which I attribute to the slightly sharper taper of the bullet.  I prefer am more comfortable (for whatever reason) with the more rounded bullet of WWB and will stick with that.

At the next gun show I will get .30cal Carbine from Georgia Arms as well as 5.56mm and 9mm.  Hey, ammo can factored in included and I can just buy it in bulk at a reasonable price from what I believe to be a top line manufacturer!  Just strange, the different brass used in the .45ACP; don't know how it will be with the other calibers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:01:04 AM EDT
[#24]
The $10/box Remmy is the best deal right now. The price gap on Wolf and Hungarian MFS is closing fast.

I love MFS, but not at $12/box. It was a great deal from AIM three years ago at $6-$7/box for 20 or more - wish I'd bought a hundred boxes and not just the 20 boxes.

They all perform the same. Wolf is not reloadable: therefore SHOULD BE significantly cheaper - but isn't as good a deal as even a year ago.

Win & Fed are all good, too but really expensive and I haven't seen a box of PMC anything in almost
five years in CT
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I use Federal AE 230gr. FMJ almost exclusively. I get it from Natchez, right now $8.89/box if you buy 10 or more boxes. I usually buy 2000-3000 rounds at a time and it comes out to just under $200 per case of 1000 delivered to Florida, which is less expennsive than WWB at Wal-Mart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top