User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
American reloading has gold dot G2 pulls. I just ordered some and will try to get them close to 1k fps in my .38s.
View Quote

I'll be interested in seeing how this works.  I also picked up some of the black coated G2's before they sold out.  I'm planning on using them in 9mm for my MP5's but yours is in interesting idea.

P.S.  American Reloading sold out of the G2's now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'll be interested in seeing how this works.  I also picked up some of the black coated G2's before they sold out.  I'm planning on using them in 9mm for my MP5's but yours is in interesting idea.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
American reloading has gold dot G2 pulls. I just ordered some and will try to get them close to 1k fps in my .38s.

As long as they stabilize and group wel the smalled diameter will help with mv.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I would be interested in seeing a big truck door that stops .45 acp.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad. For some reason I read SMC. Regardless, it is still proven that faster bullets penetrate more metal. Like I said previously, sheet metal tests show 9mm, .40, and .357 Sig out penetrating a .45 ACP by by more sheets. There is also real world data as well. There was an incident with if I recall correctly where .45 ACP couldn’t penetrate a semi truck’s door but the .357 Sig had no issues.

I see what you are saying though. Assuming both a 9mm and a .45 both penetrate a barrier without issue the .45 will have more momentum to go deeper in soft tissue. But if the barrier is thicker and the lower velocity of the .45 doesn’t penetrate then the 9mm would obviously penetrate more.

Junkyard tests on much older truck of heavier construction???

Just spitballing
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Not getting into the barrier penetration discussion as I see it as a super rare event in civilian defense use.

I recently attended an event called revolver round up with lots of very experienced instructors many who go back to the days revolvers were king in police and civilian use.

While primarily focused on compact snub nosed guns, they did gel testing which was pretty eye opening and contradicted about everything in a lot of forums/ publications ( again this was snubs not 4” guns )
Lots of data but here is the bottom line:

1) in short barrel revolvers rounds that penetrate enough almost never expand
2) rounds that consistently expand don’t penetrate enough
3) plus P and heavy loaded rounds over penetrate and penalize the shooter with slower recovery and increased recoil
4) the best bullet profile based its ability to create a full caliber hole and due to it having a sharp shoulder which does more cutting ( taper nose HP’s allow elastic tissues to get pushed out of the way and snap back with minimal actual damage) was the century or more old full wadcutter.

After hours of testing in gel including barrier penetration protocols ( denim no hard stuff)

Best commonly available load for snubs:
Any factory led wadcutter target ammo ( o yes the old feeble 750 FPS paper punching load)

For longer barrels the 158 lead semi wadcutter HP. There wasn’t a strong support for it needing to be driven faster than 850 to be effective

More velocity isn’t always better as increased recoil slower follow up shots increased barrel leading and over penetration are penalties for pushing them faster
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
underwood tends to duplicate buffalo ore but for half the cost, only issue is buffalo bore is in stock and underwood has been out of stock for a while now. So your best bet is either get the buffalo bore at a premium, wait possibly months for the underwood, or start hand loading
View Quote

This. I got tired, TIRED of waiting for Underwood ammo to become available. I finally ended up spending hundreds of BB with various calibers.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was pleasantly surprised with the 255gr load. 6gr of unique got me right where I wanted.

7gr be-86 with the 200gr swc gets the 1065from a 5" gun and 950 from my lw champion. It'll go through 2 car doors where as a 9mm NATO won't.
View Quote

DAMN.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 1:07:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just spitballing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad. For some reason I read SMC. Regardless, it is still proven that faster bullets penetrate more metal. Like I said previously, sheet metal tests show 9mm, .40, and .357 Sig out penetrating a .45 ACP by by more sheets. There is also real world data as well. There was an incident with if I recall correctly where .45 ACP couldn’t penetrate a semi truck’s door but the .357 Sig had no issues.

I see what you are saying though. Assuming both a 9mm and a .45 both penetrate a barrier without issue the .45 will have more momentum to go deeper in soft tissue. But if the barrier is thicker and the lower velocity of the .45 doesn’t penetrate then the 9mm would obviously penetrate more.

Just spitballing

Which "older truck"?
I'm fairly familiar with big truck doors and what they are made of. Besides being told "it happens all the time", I've not seen credible evidence. The guy who said that has never shot a big truck door I'll bet you $1000 right now, just spouting off on the web.

Go look at a big truck door, put a magnet to it, try to bend the panel.

It doesn't happen all the time and the posters saying so seem to have never shot a big truck door.
Yet it happens "all the time"

Who, is all the time shooting thru semi doors??
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Man this thread had so much promise lol. I even read all of it hoping we would get some nuggets...

I think I've settled in WC for 38 anyway. That's one nice thing about revolvers - I don't have to worry about feedway stoppages.

NY Stakeout squad Allard was pretty happy with the performance of 45 WC. If I remember right he'd handload the first round as a WC in his 1911. The others weren't WC since they wouldn't feed in an autoloader. I hope I'm remembering that all right. I believe that's what I've read.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 6:48:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Who is selling WC 38 now days?  Or do I have to handload it myself?
View Quote

Don't shoot the messenger

My recent project
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Yeah, the Federal GMM seem to be the standard, especially for J frame owners. Low recoil but they still penetrate since there's no worry about expansion.

However, you can't find them right now. Buffalo Bore does sell a full wadcutters as well in their low recoil low flash lineup for 38. It's higher velocity than Federal and more akin to full pressure 38 than what federal is offering. It's a great solution if you want more oomph or just can't find the Federal.  It's actually in stock.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 11:25:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
well, I might consider shooting the messenger, If I had ammo!

Which bullet did you use?  I only see Meister wadcutters at Midway
View All Quotes
Quoted:
well, I might consider shooting the messenger, If I had ammo!

Which bullet did you use?  I only see Meister wadcutters at Midway

I get all my lead bullets from rimrock.

I settled in 4gr 231 for 850fps.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 12:34:24 AM EDT
[#17]
There's a 125gr +P load from Underwood that's pissing hot. It's their only .38 SPL +P in stock.

And yes, 125gr is just fine. That Buffalo Bore you mentioned is gonna be even nastier though, OP. https://www.underwoodammo.com/38-special-p-125-grain-jacketed-hollow-point.html
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Any factory loaded wadcutters available?  All I can find are FMJs
View Quote

Remington did before the change as does Winchester finding it in stock might not be the easiest.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top