BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In the last ten years, 40S&W users are clearly migrating in one of two ways.  

Away from the 40 to the 9mm, ... or away from the 40 to the 10mm or .45acp.

The reasons don't matter. Those are just the facts.
View Quote

People migrating away from the 40 to 9MM, sure, but the resurgence of 10MM is still a minor factor.

Besides, IF there were no 9MM, all of the reasons it’s becoming nearly a standard would have users dropping 45ACP and 10mm FOR .40

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Even with all the panic buying of guns and ammo, I could still find 40 ammo and guns locally. Can't find any 9mm, 45 ACP, 380, or 38/357 MAG.  That just goes to show that the 40 is not very popular in my area.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Local Rural King has a daily ‘what’s in stock’ game. For the last few days has not been on the shelf is .380 acp FMJ ( got plenty of Hornady critical defense) 12 ga 00 buckshot or slugs. No smaller gauge shotgun shells of any type.

Got .357 mag, .45 acp, 9mm, .44 mag. Not a wide selection of bullet design but at least available for many calibers. A lot of PPU brand showing up. Actually .40 S&W is rather shy on the shelf.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Based on the brass I pick up at the range, it has moved from the 2nd most popular pistol cartridge to the 3rd.

It is not a dead or dying cartridge.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#5]
It'll never be completely gone, but it may cease to be one of the "main" calibers.  There's an argument for it already has.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Based on the brass I pick up at the range, it has moved from the 2nd most popular pistol cartridge to the 3rd.

It is not a dead or dying cartridge.
View Quote

I’d estimate it runs at a ratio of 12/1.5/1/.5/.5 where I shoot, for centerfire Brass pickups, which are skewed by reloaders.

12- 9MM
1.5- .40
1- .45
.5 .380
.5 10mm Auto/.357/.38

The rest is very minimal
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#7]
So here we are early into the ammo shortage of 2020. While some people are pissing and whining over being able to find 9mm FMJ, there is still plenty of premium .40.

There was a time in American history when the pitbull was the mascot. The slogan was my dog can anything yours can and whip him too.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So here we are early into the ammo shortage of 2020. While some people are pissing and whining over being able to find 9mm FMJ, there is still plenty of premium .40.

View Quote

This is true but training ammo in .40 is basically gone and since small pistol primers are as well, I'd advise enthusiasts to never expect to get what they want from the factory during a shortage.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Personal view...

40 is an ideal round for overt duty carry where weight and size are irrelevant.  Intermediate barriers like autoglass or doors...projectile weight matters.  

A double stack 1911 that’s duty grade reliable, holds 16 rounds, and has an IR and white light plus red dot...perfect.

In reality world...Glock 19 Gen 5 w sure fire and maybe a dot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is true. My agencies had numerous failures with our 9mm's before we switched to the 40. After we got the 40, all the stories of bad guys taking multiple hits and running off stopped. For the bullet tech of the 90's (and prior) bigger bullets worked better. Modern bullet design has leveled the field quite a bit.

After the North Hollywood shootout in '96, many LAPD Officers were asking to replace their 9mm with 45's (which was silly since the head-to-toe body armor the bad guys were wearing would defeat 40 or 45 just as easily as 9mm). Having access to Patrol Rifles has also helped the reputation of the 9mm...
View Quote

Part in bold is wrong. All that bullet tech that made 9mm equal to a .45 ball has also been applied to every caliber from .38 to .50. all that bullet tech did was allow 9mm to perform on par with larger ball rounds, while at the same time larger calibers got the exact same benefits from the advances in bullet tech.

That leveled playing field also requires the bullet to actually expand....which is often doesn't, then your back to shooting a ball round into someone.
When comparing the same bullet, modern expanding 9mm falls just as far behind modern expanding .40, .45 or 10mm as 9mm ball does to .40,  .45 and 10mm ball.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It’s days are certainly numbered as an LE service cartridge.  I doubt you will see new pistols made for the round, but there were just too many .40 pistols produced for it to disappear from the ammo market.
View Quote

Essentially this.   LE departments are in general moving away from the .40 and back to the 9 for various reasons, but the main two are cost and qualification.  Apparently cops (most of whom shoot once a year) have a better time qualifying with the 9 than the 40.

Highway patrol departments are generally keeping the .40 (Arizona just bought a bunch of FNs in 40) because the 40 performs much better through auto-glass than the 9.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I just shot some .40 yesterday. Had a blast.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Highway patrol departments are generally keeping the .40 (Arizona just bought a bunch of FNs in 40) because the 40 performs much better through auto-glass than the 9.
View Quote

Wrong, AZ DPS used to issue the FN FNS 40 Long Slide. They have since switched to the G17 Gen 5.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
.40 s&with just never grabbed me.

I use a 9, and want a 45.

I really want a .50 going about 850 fpm.
View Quote

850 FPM? feet per minute? lol

Link Posted: 8/8/2020 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.40 s&with just never grabbed me.

I use a 9, and want a 45.

I really want a .50 going about 850 fpm.

I just thought back to "bullet bill" from the old Super Mario Bros. games...??

Link Posted: 8/8/2020 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wrong, AZ DPS used to issue the FN FNS 40 Long Slide. They have since switched to the G17 Gen 5.
View Quote

Damn, they switched already?   Those 40 LS are brand new.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 3:59:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah it'll disappear just like 38 special, 45acp, 10mm, 9mm, etc.  Then the next time the 9mm fails them like it did in Miami, they'll go back to the 40, 357 sig, or 10mm if not something altogether new.  I've been shooting & EDC'ing 40 since late '93.  My wife EDC's a 40 now my son bought a 40 last spring as well.  I'm not worried in the least about not being able to find ammo, parts or entirely new pistols in 40.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#18]
For all those harping about .40 being available in a panic...it's just as hard to get now as all ammo. And it costs 50+ cents /rd now. Still a bit cheaper then 9mm though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For all those harping about .40 being available in a panic...it's just as hard to get now as all ammo. And it costs 50+ cents /rd now. Still a bit cheaper then 9mm though.
View Quote

If anyone NEEDS to buy ammo for ANY caliber firearm they own during a panic, they are doing everything wrong.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#20]
.38spl was THE police cartridge for decades, then it wasn't. Heaven knows how many police trade-in .38's were sold to John Q Public.  Fast forward to .40S&W -- same story.  Like the .38, ammunition will remain in production, people will debate if it ever worked, every once in a while manufacturers will produce a new "game-changer" load/projectile.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't really understand this whole line of logic; LE dumping something means jack and shit for the civilian market except maybe a temporary glut of well priced police trade ins in whatever the subject caliber is, which should actually increase the popularity for civilians. Seems to me that most LEOs are not really gun guys and probably do less shooting in a year than the average site member here; the agencies are going to focus on the ability of the lowest common denominator to pass a qual, and as exemplified by the popularity of Glocks for LE use, cost. Those two reasons alone are enough to explain why they are going back to 9mm now that bullet construction has improved the terminal performance of 9mm beyond what it was when agencies initially abandoned it.

Anyway, I have friends who have "consolidated" to 5.56/9mm/12ga for whatever reason; whether to simplify their logistics, allow them to stock more of a caliber, etc... Then when a panic hits they can't/won't/don't want to go shoot because they don't want to dig into their stockpile because they can't immediately replenish it.

I couldn't really wrap my head around the idea as a gun enthusiast to begin with, because I like different guns with different operating systems, and in different calibers. I have 9mms, .40s, .45s, .357s, .38 spls, and milsurps in 7.62x 25 and 7.62x38 (I need to get some .357 Sig barrels for the .40s). The last rifle I bought is a 45-70 which has been used by pretty much nobody other than civilians for over 100 years. But perhaps since the Army went to 30-40 Krag, the 45-70 is destined to fade into obscurity too

Good grief people, enjoy some variety. My next handgun will probably be a 10mm, and the one after that is looking like a 38 Super.

Quoted:
View Quote

Must be a local thing. 10mm, .40 S&W, and 5.7x28 seem to be the easiest pistol rounds to find here right now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Can a .40 S&W Glock 35 or Para P16 be switched to a 10mm with a barrel and recoil spring change?
Will 10mm magazines fit either frame?
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can a .40 S&W Glock 35 or Para P16 be switched to a 10mm with a barrel and recoil spring change?
View Quote

I don't think so. The difference in mag dimensions (G22/35 in .40 vs G20/40 in 10mm) alone make me skeptical. Then there's the difference in the amount of metal used for the slides....
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#24]
The word "expert" is used so much as "hero", "racist", and a few others are, which often make them meaningless.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

No; AFAIK .40, 9mm, and .357 Sig all fit in the same frame along with .45 GAP. 10mm and .45 ACP fit in the same frame but it is different from the GAP/.357/.40/9mm.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 11:52:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@NVGdude

Ya, there was a significant issue with the FN guns. I don't recall what they said it was (might have been breaking strikers) but there were some surprising reliability issues. They switched pretty quickly to the G17 Gen 5. I believe most of the department switched last year.

My agency just went to the G17 Gen 5 MOS and couldn't be happier. Now if only I could get training ammo.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Went to a shop Monday and all 9mm was gone and all 380...the 40 shelf was pretty full.
I didn't pay attention if it was all "self defense" rds or not but the 9mm shelves were big blank spots of shelving.
Also 9mm projectiles are out at a lot of places ..
I could order 40/10mm right now if I wanted.
I love the whole "40 sucks, it's ShOrT and WeaK"
People.

Just leaves more for people that shoot it or both.
Also I got some .380 and tula 223 this morning at Rural King for regular prices..Soo a lot depends on where ya live I guess.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#28]
There has a been a huge push towards 9mm over the past decade and it's only ramped up more and more the past few years.   Because of the popularity of 9mm, gun makers do often come out with guns in 9mm only and don't bother offering them in .40, for some reason, so we have seen a HUGE influx of small 9mm guns the past few years...everything is 9mm this and 9mm that.  I don't at all dislike the 9mm but I've always preferred the .40 and even on a few occasions decided to force myself to go 9mm and each time I regretted it shortly after.

Another thing I've learned is that people will defend their choices because they've spent money on them, so if I say 9mm isn't as good as .40, they're going to be inclined to disagree with me.  Also, people are heavily influenced, meaning if LEO's or some the FBI starts going back to 9mm, they feel they do too for whatever reason.  In addition, many have fallen for the lie (repeat LIE) that handguns suck, what that leads to is a broad stroke of brush saying they all suck equally so it doesn't really matter, at that point why not shoot the one that recoils the least and holds the most ammo?  I'm not against 9mm at all, but it's annoying why so many cool guns that could be offered in .40 aren't.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There has a been a huge push towards 9mm over the past decade and it's only ramped up more and more the past few years.   Because of the popularity of 9mm, gun makers do often come out with guns in 9mm only and don't bother offering them in .40, for some reason, so we have seen a HUGE influx of small 9mm guns the past few years...everything is 9mm this and 9mm that.  I don't at all dislike the 9mm but I've always preferred the .40 and even on a few occasions decided to force myself to go 9mm and each time I regretted it shortly after.

Another thing I've learned is that people will defend their choices because they've spent money on them, so if I say 9mm isn't as good as .40, they're going to be inclined to disagree with me.  Also, people are heavily influenced, meaning if LEO's or some the FBI starts going back to 9mm, they feel they do too for whatever reason.  In addition, many have fallen for the lie (repeat LIE) that handguns suck, what that leads to is a broad stroke of brush saying they all suck equally so it doesn't really matter, at that point why not shoot the one that recoils the least and holds the most ammo?  I'm not against 9mm at all, but it's annoying why so many cool guns that could be offered in .40 aren't.
View Quote

If .40 JHP sucks and is literally no different than 9mm JHP, Then 9mm JHP is literally no different than 9mm ball and people are just wasting their money.

IMO, Shoot the largest caliber you can, that you can reliably control and put rounds accurately on target.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#30]
When I was in law enforcement and the .40 S&W cartridge was introduced. My first .40 S&W Handgun was a Smith & Wesson Sigma. Basically a Glock clone. Then I bought a Glock 22 Gen 3 both reliable and the .40 S&W is a very underestimated round. I never had a problem.

The .40 Cal Round will be with us for a long time. Don't believe the hype.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I never cared for .40.  Then the panic buyers rolled through.  9mm is all gone and what's left is 60 cents a bullet.

Meanwhile 40 jhp  is still on the shelf at Cabela's for 32 cents and no limit on boxes.  Makes a hard argument for diversifying.  I snagged a cheap ass Glock .40 from PSA for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

2003 or thereabouts.  Almost couldn't find a 9mm pistol back then.
View Quote

I have some .40 because of being able to get it when 9mm wasn't found.  This time around it seems like the .40 is almost as hard to find.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I've been carrying it since 1999.
I'm not changing.

G23, G35, G22
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#34]
There are enough guns out there chambered in .40S&W to keep the round in production for a long time to come. It is an established cartridge.

In the past 50 years I remember when .38spl was declared “dead” along with .380acp, 9x19mm, .45acp by various “experts” at various times.

BTW- Nothing wrong with .40S&W.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#35]
My competition gun is a Glock 35.  I do have a 40-9 barrel but I compete with 40sw.  

I use to carry a P2000 in 40 for work when I was still an agent.  I bought a second for a training gun.  I still have it and alot of Winchester Ranger 180 grain JHPs.  In fact it is my gun I take to ban states more and more because my 10 round mags work better in that gun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
.41 Magnum failed and I say this as a fan of the cartridge. The biggest issue was that it was intended to be a LE marketed cartridge. It was originally intended to be called something like the .41 Police. The commercial loads were also more powerful than what was originally intended. 10mm Auto suffered a similar fate. Another issue with both of them is they're only chambered large frame guns.

.40 S&W was released to the market on January 17, 1990. Before the end of that year, GLOCK already had .40 S&W chambered G22s and G23s in the hands of LE with SLED being the first agency within the nation to adopt the cartridge. Beating S&W to the punch. The .357 Sig came out in 1994 and struggled to fight an uphill battle. Because by that time, the .40 S&W was firmly being entrenched into the LE market. S&W by then had their contracts with the CHP and others. GLOCK already flooded the market by then with their .40 S&Ws.

The .45 GAP was GLOCK's attempt to secure market share if the Clinton AWB was renewed. The ban wasn't, so the market collapsed for the cartridge.

On paper, all the cartridges you mentioned are great. I shoot .41 Magnum, 10mm Auto, .40 S&W, and even .45 GAP. Hell, I carried .45 GAP on duty as a cop for a period.

But out of them all, the .40 S&W became a market success.
View Quote

The 40S&W was and is still a decent cartridge.

9mm defense ammo back in the early 90s sucked and the FBI got the idea of designing a new cartridge instead of coming up with better defense ammo for 9mm. So the 10mm was released. 10mm has too much recoil for fast follow up shots like most LEO need, so they underloaded it. Then S&W said "why not just cut the cartridge shorter so it will fit into smaller guns?" Then the 40S&W was born.

I am honestly not sure what prompted the creation of the 357 SIG as the 40S&W had already been out and adopted by then. Maybe it was just a competing cartridge for the 40S&W which was still in its infancy.

The 45GAP makes a lot of sense to me and it honestly better than the 45ACP as it doesn't waste case space. It's a shame it didn't catch on because otherwise we could all have a bunch of 9mm sized pistols that shoot 45. I think another reason it was created is because Glock 45ACP pistols at the time were huge and not very comfortable to hold. My original Glock 21 was like holding a 2x4.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought a Glock 22 because I can find 40SW at normal prices, good luck with 9mm or 45ACP
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The 40S&W was and is still a decent cartridge.

9mm defense ammo back in the early 90s sucked and the FBI got the idea of designing a new cartridge instead of coming up with better defense ammo for 9mm. So the 10mm was released. 10mm has too much recoil for fast follow up shots like most LEO need, so they underloaded it. Then S&W said "why not just cut the cartridge shorter so it will fit into smaller guns?" Then the 40S&W was born.

I am honestly not sure what prompted the creation of the 357 SIG as the 40S&W had already been out and adopted by then. Maybe it was just a competing cartridge for the 40S&W which was still in its infancy.

The 45GAP makes a lot of sense to me and it honestly better than the 45ACP as it doesn't waste case space. It's a shame it didn't catch on because otherwise we could all have a bunch of 9mm sized pistols that shoot 45. I think another reason it was created is because Glock 45ACP pistols at the time were huge and not very comfortable to hold. My original Glock 21 was like holding a 2x4.
View Quote

The 357Sig came about as an attempt to duplicate the "manstopper" loads in 357mag that had been so popular with L.E. in revolvers but fit it into an auto loader the same size as the 40 & 9mm frame pistols.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The 357Sig came about as an attempt to duplicate the "manstopper" loads in 357mag that had been so popular with L.E. in revolvers but fit it into an auto loader the same size as the 40 & 9mm frame pistols.
View Quote

Makes sense. While they matched velocity, unfortunately they couldn't use 357mag style bullets with this cartridge and have it feed in an autoloader. I think 357SIG is an answer to a question that is no longer a valid question.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Qual a bunch of regular non-gun line officers....and you will find MUCH better accuracy and split times with 9 over 40.

BTDT.

As we all know, ALL handguns suck at stopping humans.  As they are more similar than different in terms of damage potential from the projectile I'll take more rounds on target in a shorter period of time by more officers...
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Qual a bunch of regular non-gun line officers....and you will find MUCH better accuracy and split times with 9 over 40.

BTDT.

As we all know, ALL handguns suck at stopping humans.  As they are more similar than different in terms of damage potential from the projectile I'll take more rounds on target in a shorter period of time by more officers...
View Quote

Better training would serve them better in the long run.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Better training would serve them better in the long run.
View Quote

LITERALLY small stature officers have a more difficult time with the recoil impulse of the 40SW. Thats not fiction.

If you mean mandating weight training for stronger officers, I could not agree more.  Good luck with that, but a lofty and beneficial goal.

Simple science, 9 is easier to shoot, with more rounds on hand, with greater accuracy for more varied officers...and less wear and tear on equipment.

If you meant LE needs better training overall, again, I COULD NOT AGREE MORE!

Cheers,
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

LITERALLY small stature officers have a more difficult time with the recoil impulse of the 40SW. Thats not fiction.

View Quote

Recoil impulse isn't the problem in many cases.  It's the inability to create and maintain a firm grip, grip strength, or a combination of both that's the issue.

I'm vertically challenged at 5'3" and have the smaller palm size and short fingers that comes with it.  I also prefer shooting .357Sig and 10mm.

Until the recent introduction of adjustable grip panels, it was a make do with what you've got grip for those of us with smaller hands.  On many firearms, trigger reach is a problem for shorter fingers, just as grip size is for smaller hands.  For many DA/SA double stack guns, like a Beretta M9, in order to pull the trigger DA, I have to move my trigger hand off center and forward so that I can get a proper squeeze on the trigger.  That also means that my support hand has to be over the center at the rear of the grip, in order to try and fill the gap.  So every time a shot is fired, my grip is being subjected to a twisting motion because it's not in line with the direction of recoil.  I can either have a proper trigger squeeze and a bad grip, or a good grip and a bad squeeze.  I simply don't have enough hand to have both for many guns, a challenge faced by many similarly sized folks.  That's how I ended up with a family of Steyr's, because they're one of the few double stack handguns that I can get a proper grip, and a proper trigger reach and squeeze with.  

I've shot this Steyr M357A1 through several handgun courses of 250 rounds each.  Recoil wasn't a problem.  However, it was the cause of my hands being numb for awhile after firing those 250 rounds.

As for the OP's question, I don't see .40 S&W going anywhere any time soon.  Each of us here have our own preferred calibers of choice, and each should choose what they're most comfortable and confident with.  Some want speeds more towards that of a .45 but not give up so much capacity, and yet want something slightly larger than 9mm.  For many, that's the .40 S&W.

Link Posted: 10/14/2020 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#44]
40 is a great pistol round.

The majority of shooters can't run a 9 to its potential...much less a 40.  The 40 hurts overall fleet performance because shooters simply don't or won't train enough to run it.  So, 9mm is likely a better option.

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#45]
I still like the .40 and have a lot of it stockpiled. When various PD's were switching to 9mm and trading in or selling their .40 pistols and ammo you could get both cheap, Later on I snagged a 96A1 also.

I picked up a G22 and G23 in excellent condition cheap from Recoil guns works,Later on I snagged a 96A1 also and a couple of cases of .40 HST and Winchester Ranger ammo from different vendors for about the same price as salad days 9mm ball.

This past week I ordered 2 Smith M&P compacts, One in 9mm and one in .40 since I've got ammo to feed both for years to come.There's enough .40 caliber pistols in circulation and still being manufactured that .40 isn't going to be dead for years to come and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it have a resurgence of popularity if magazine limits or bullet type bans go into effect again.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#46]
I've never been a .40 S&W fan as I had guns and reloaded for 9mm and .45 ACP.  Don't mind the diameter as I'm a big .41 Mag nut.  Guns chambered for said cartridge may diminish due to lack of popularity but way ahead of the 7.62mm Tok, 7.63mm Mauser, 7.65mm Parabellum, .45 GAP, .400 CorBon, .41 AE, etc.  Enough guns have been made to have ammo for a very long time.

CD
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#47]
.40 performs well as a service weapon.

My agency carried Glock 22s for about 20 years and had a lot of OIS with it.

It always performed well and recoil management is a product of good practice.

We've switched to G17 but I still have several 40s and plenty of ammo.

I'm fine with 9mm and 45acp but 40 isn't going anywhere soon and I'd still carry it if the Dept want made the switch
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#48]
The head R/O at the local S/O says the .40 was 'too snappy' for most of their deputies and corrections specialists.

So they switched over to 9mm last fall (Gen4 G17s, I believe), and their qual-scores improved significantly.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#49]
I own and shoot a couple .40s. They aren't all I own or all I shoot and I carry the P226 sometimes but not every day.

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#50]
There is absolutely no reason to prefer .40 S&W over 9mm when using hollow points. They both penetrate within inches of one another. Whether an inch or two below, an inch or 2 more, or even dead even within the 12 to 18 inch window depending on the load. Why sacrifice a few rounds in capacity or give yourself a bit more recoil? When shooting competition, competitors do all they can to minimize recoil by installing compensators, downloading loads, adding weight to the front end, etc. The argument that girly hands cannot handle recoil is moot. Everyone benefits from lower recoil no matter how good you are. As far as expansion goes, the same thing applies. They expand within fractions of an inch or so of one another with some 9mm expanding more depending on the load. When .40 beats 9mm, it is usually negligible. See linked pics below.

When using hard cast for hunting, one can then argue the .40 S&W’s benefit. There is no expansion and the greater weight may enhance penetration. But if you are going to use .40 for hunting, why not full powered 10mm?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top