BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:55:17 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My personal opinion is that 380 is on the 'edge' of where you pick JHP's over FMJ's.  32 on down, there's really no option, you've got to carry a FMJ...

I'm guessing you've never seen first-hand the effects of a pre-fragmented (e.g., Glaser) sub-caliber round.  I have, more than once - if forced to carry a .25 or a .32, I would opt for a Glaser over a FMJ any day of the week based upon what I have personally seen.  YMMV.  (Yes, I understand the limitations of pre-frag. rounds vis-a-vis intermediate targets, accuracy at distance, etc. - I simply don't think those factors prevail when considering loads for a "pocket-pistol" that IMHO is a handgun of last resort, most often employed at point-blank range.  I also know full well that pre-frag. loads are unpopular here in general & I am very much in the minority - but I still would choose them for a sub-caliber gun.)  

But I agree with your assertion that .380 is on the cusp of the JHP/FMJ threshold & your other points.

...  But in reality, pocket pistols are always a compromise.

Amen!  I think a lot of folks lose sight of that at times.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hornady's loading looks good too, but I've never tried it.

The 90 grain XTP likes a bit more velocity than many .380's are likely to provide, and if it has to penetrate a barrier first, it is even more likely to fail to expand.

Great bullet up at 1700 FPS (.357 Sig), but marginal down under 1000 FPS.

Michael Courtney

WTF are you talking about.  What .357sig load does 1,700 fps?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top