BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#1]
@3ACR_Scout

I also like gold dots more but do not carry them in my G43 for the same reasons.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#2]
SpeerLE Gold Dots work better for me in my Steyr's.  Less flash, less recoil, tighter groups.

#53619 147gr in the S9A1 and M9A1, and #53918 125gr in the M357A1.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Most people are like that. And when you tell them that the round they carry from a 3 inch barrel performs poorly by failing to expand or not penetrating enough due to the loss of velocity from their 3 inch barrel, they get all bent out of shape as if you are challenging them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not according to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lGqdMdbir0

You may get more expansion resulting in a little less penetration with a longer barrel or a +p load, but everything I've seen has even those going to 12" plus.
View Quote
Haven't logged on in a while.

That video mentions "micro pistols" (didn't watch it all) and that would fit in with the Lucky Gunner data where the 124g did well.  I suspect velocity may be slightly less, so expansion not as great and gets better penetration.  My post was regarding the factory data, which I usually go with as you can't tell how consistent gel is in aftermarket tests.  I believe the factory was in full size guns.  Don't have time right now to look it all up, but a lot of variables (barrel length etc) come into play.  I know the 147 will work in full size or compact so I use that exclusively.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#5]
All my carry guns are loaded with 147gr HST, but I wouldn't hesitate to use Gold Dots after confirming they feed reliably in my guns.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#6]
RA9T
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:04:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Neither is a bad choice.
View Quote
FPNI.

Buy both with confidence.

I prefer the 147 variety myself.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
FPNI.

View Quote
That's exactly what I was getting at in my previous post. Making a blanket statement like "buy both with confidence" without taking into account the pistol that you're using, and how the round performs out of that particular weapon / barrel, is not a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:49:50 AM EDT
[#9]
With self defense  ammo I usually choose which ever I can buy in the 50rd box.  And I buy by the case usually.  25rd boxes are just a way to charge more to consumers.

Still working my way through a case of 124gr +p gd's I got a while back for 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Potato/Potato

Both are excellent loads. Don't over think it.

If I were buying and one was on sale, I would go with the sale price.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 2:34:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Personal preference. Both are well proven rounds. I just bought a bunch of hst's from bone frog since they are $17.75 for 50 rds.

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/collections/ammunition/products/9mm-124gr-federal-premium-tactical-hst-jhp-50rds-p9hst1?variant=2960836097
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Both are great. I have mags loaded with both.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Personal preference. Both are well proven rounds. I just bought a bunch of hst's from bone frog since they are $17.75 for 50 rds.

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/collections/ammunition/products/9mm-124gr-federal-premium-tactical-hst-jhp-50rds-p9hst1?variant=2960836097
View Quote
This is a smoking deal... If I were buying today I would get at least a case worth.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If caliber is important, 9mm.  Which is better for self defense?
View Quote

As several people have already pointed out, Gold Dots need velocity to expand.  If you have a sub-compact gun, you're better off with HST's.  If you have a 4" barrel or longer, Gold Dots appear to penetrate more consistently deeper than HST while expanding just slightly less.  This is all based on shots into ballistic gelatin, but from a comparison perspective, I believe is relevant for judging what you carry.  So I humbly don't agree that either is a fine choice, as velocity (barrel length) is a criterion when selecting your SD carry ammo.  If you carry a Glock 19 (4" barrel), for example, then yeah, either is a fine choice, but if you carry a Glock 43 or a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield, then I would say that HST is a better choice.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:11:23 AM EDT
[#15]
While I have both, I prefer HST.

Actually just bought a case of 147gr +p 9mm for $378 shipped. Last year I paid $430 for standard 147gr and thought I was getting a deal.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:25:10 AM EDT
[#16]
HST all the way.

I mainly get the 147 grain standard loads.   They seem to ace all the qualification for penetration and consistent and wide expansion.

I also use the 124 grain standard loads for the same reasons above...
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 1:20:27 AM EDT
[#17]
HST
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 1:41:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Did someone say HST??
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FPNI.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neither is a bad choice.
FPNI.

Same here.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I would/will carry either one.  
But, if I have my preference.  I will pick HST every time.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 2:15:53 AM EDT
[#21]
In the testing that I have seen HST, Gold Dot and Tac. Bonds all perform about the same overall with few advantages offrred either way.  The exception being Tac. Bond seems to perform better than just about everything else in Auto glass.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Whichever was cheapest in 147.

It really is a left or right, so flip a coin if they were both proced the same.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I prefer the HST. Seems to expand yet penetrate consistently in all the testing I have seen. Federal seems to have unlocked that code. They also shoot well in my guns. It seems that the 9mm Gold Dots are more dependant on velocity to expand

I carry HST in my 9mm's but Gold Dots (and Win Ranger) in my 40's.

It's great to ask advice. I'm always looking for new info on something better. But I have been burned enough times about the latest and greatest that I would always recommend doing some testing of your own.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Neither are bad, but I'll buy HST for now
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Gold Dot vs. HST is like asking which testicle you like better.

There isn't a wrong answer, and getting both is always a good plan.
View Quote
Right teste is my favorite. But to answer OPs question while I prefer HST would not hesitate to trust my life to GD.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I have shot a couple 1000 rounds of Gold Dots over the year in 9mm and 40 cal. They are GTG. Be sure you test several of boxes to be sure you handgun cycles it fine. before you buy in quantity.  I tend to buy GD 124gr or GD 124gr +P in 9mm and 180gr GD for my 40 cal. I say test it since I have an FNX-9 that does not cycle Winchester Ranger-T rounds reliably so I use GD or HST instead.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#27]
While HST may not always be the best answer by a little, it is never the wrong answer. Always a very safe bet, very consistent, not very velocity sensitive.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#28]
After shooting a 4 lb jackrabbit twice with G2 and have it run off my confidence was shaken in my ammo choice. I bought some 147 gr HST to try and did an old IWBA 4 layer denim test with cardboard 1/2 gallon milk cartons. The denim I used was 14.5 oz jean material. In my bare water test through gallon milk jugs the HST penetrated 3 milk jugs and put a dent in the front of the 4th with perfect expansion. The 4 layer test had almost perfect expansion and penetrated 3 cardboard milk cartons,a 1 gallon plastic milk jug,and put a dent in the 5th cardboard jug. When I did the same 4 layer test with G2 it blew through all 5 cartons/jug and there was no sign of expansion. I cannot recommend G2 at all,mine had a 2016 headstamp. Also,I had 3 single shot kills on rabbits from 15 to 93 yds.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Jackrabbits are not easy to kill. A friend and fellow member used his G20 with some really hot 180 Gold Dots, and one round took off half of it's head and it still kept running. It finally went down after I used a Federal Fusion 223 through the heart.

One jackrabbit took a center mass 77 TMK through the front and took off like it was nothing. A friend used a 220 Sierra SP 300 BO and it stopped it cold but the poor thing was still crawling away. Finally had to use a 147 HST to anchor shoot it in the head.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
After shooting a 4 lb jackrabbit twice with G2 and have it run off my confidence was shaken in my ammo choice. I bought some 147 gr HST to try and did an old IWBA 4 layer denim test with cardboard 1/2 gallon milk cartons. The denim I used was 14.5 oz jean material. In my bare water test through gallon milk jugs the HST penetrated 3 milk jugs and put a dent in the front of the 4th with perfect expansion. The 4 layer test had almost perfect expansion and penetrated 3 cardboard milk cartons,a 1 gallon plastic milk jug,and put a dent in the 5th cardboard jug. When I did the same 4 layer test with G2 it blew through all 5 cartons/jug and there was no sign of expansion. I cannot recommend G2 at all,mine had a 2016 headstamp. Also,I had 3 single shot kills on rabbits from 15 to 93 yds.
View Quote
Yes indeed the two boxes I have as well are not very reliable one box is marked 15 which is totally junk and the other is 16 and have only been able to get a few of those to expand.. haven't seen any place that has some newer G2 in stock ? HST and the original Golddots work great..
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes indeed the two boxes I have as well are not very reliable one box is marked 15 which is totally junk and the other is 16 and have only been able to get a few of those to expand.. haven't seen any place that has some newer G2 in stock ? HST and the original Golddots work great..
View Quote
I too have had limited success with the G2,I had one with decent expansion in water and one with an almost sheared petal in 4 layer denim. Did you notice the new design of the HST? It has two smaller cannelures with a small band spacing them,the skiving is shorter,I'm assuming this is to aid with keeping a longer base for straighter penetration,as well as keeping expansion from becoming overexaggerated,leading to deeper penetration.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Both are awesome, can't go wrong either way. But HST is the new kid on the block with maybe a bit better expansion. Of course you're really splitting hairs.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I made the mistake of ordered a 1000 rounds 9mm 147gr G2 rounds back in 2015 which I believe the rounds showed a 2014 date. I guess I should read the reviews and watched the Youtube videos first before ordering. I shoot them at the gun range only and I have only two boxes left now.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:33:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I made the mistake of ordered a 1000 rounds 9mm 147gr G2 rounds back in 2015 which I believe the rounds showed a 2014 date. I guess I should read the reviews and watched the Youtube videos first before ordering. I shoot them at the gun range only and I have only two boxes left now.
View Quote
With what happened to me I refuse to carry or even recommend them to anyone, the inconsistencies are too prevalent.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Neither is a bad choice.
View Quote
This.

Also HST.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#36]
A few thoughts:

1.  XTP is great for late 1980s or early 1990s ammo.  I would NOT consider carrying XTP anything except for 380 Auto (if I carried 380, which I personally don't/won't).

2.  Performance in jackrabbits or water jugs or clear gel does not matter one bit to me.

3.  If the ammo in question is on Doc GKR's list, then it meets FBI criteria and is GTG; buy it and test reliability in your pistol and then find something else to worry about.
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4337-Service-Caliber-Handgun-Duty-and-Self-Defense-Ammo
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I prefer the HST. Seems to expand yet penetrate consistently in all the testing I have seen. Federal seems to have unlocked that code. They also shoot well in my guns. It seems that the 9mm Gold Dots are more dependant on velocity to expand

I carry HST in my 9mm's but Gold Dots (and Win Ranger) in my 40's.

It's great to ask advice. I'm always looking for new info on something better. But I have been burned enough times about the latest and greatest that I would always recommend doing some testing of your own.
View Quote
Yep that’s my mission today.

I have a new CZ P07 and I have a 100 rounds of Wwb through it.

I bought Speer lawman 124 and 147 to test/beak in.
I also bought 200 rounds of 124 HST and 147 HST.

If the 147s will run flawlessly then I think that’s my choice.  The 124 HST is the back up and I suspect will have zero issues.

I also bought some S&B FMJ and some Magtech bonded ammo to try.  I ordered the Magtech based on price but based on some you tube tests I found it does not hold together perfectly like the GDs and HST.

All the ammo plunked in my barrel fine.  I had read some CZ chambers are short for some 147s and the bullets might stick in the rifling possibly interfering with clambering or extraction of an I fired round.

Lots of parameters to test but I am not worried about terminal ballistics. I think I am confident with the engineering of GDs, HSTs and Ranger Ts.   My job is to make sure the gun and ammo combo have no issues.  It’s about all I can do and the bare minimum the shooter should do is the ammo gun combo tests.

Ammo is not that expensive that you cannot shoot 200 rounds of save your life ammo.   I am worth it.

ETA everything ran in my gen 2 P07.

I will eventually adjust the sight as my impacts are all to the left of The centerline.   The 124 is truest to the sights.  I didn’t feel much difference between the 124 and 147 HST recoil impulse.  The 147 Winchester whitebox 147s seem to be the hottest feeling load with slowest recovery.   The 124 NATO Wwb was next and they shot quite well.  Lawman 124s FMJ  were about perfect to my sights but about 2” left of where I want them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#38]
1. HST
2. RA9T
3. Gold Dot
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:34:29 AM EDT
[#39]
I have had no problems with either . I have been buying Fed Gov white box +P+ 9mm 115 gr for 15 a box of 50 and also HST 40 cal 180 for 15.99 for 50 they also had HST 9mm 147 HST for 14/ 50
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#40]
I recently tested some 147gr Golddots into 4layers of denim and had them all fail to expand which I promptly switched to another round, but into bare gel they expanded fine.. wasn't to happy with the performance, the 124gr worked fine though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 9:02:44 AM EDT
[#41]
147 HST for me
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 1:21:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Hst, gold dot, or rangers are all good to go.  I completely trust them all.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 8:42:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have shot a couple 1000 rounds of Gold Dots over the year in 9mm and 40 cal. They are GTG. Be sure you test several of boxes to be sure you handgun cycles it fine. before you buy in quantity.  I tend to buy GD 124gr or GD 124gr +P in 9mm and 180gr GD for my 40 cal. I say test it since I have an FNX-9 that does not cycle Winchester Ranger-T rounds reliably so I use GD or HST instead.
View Quote
Very true.   At one time I was all set with ammo in my Kahr mk40.   Then federal changes the ogive and up opening and gave the little gun some problems.  The Kahr micros have a very short cycling slide and the geometry is tight all around.    Had I not gone to the range with the new adjusted carry round with the same catalog number in theory I could have been in dire need with a half assed back up/carry gun.   That gun pretty much needs to run on 155s with no issues at all.    Bump up to 165s and you get a few stoppages on the ramp.   Go to 180s and you get A LOT of stoppages with flat point FMJs.   Not as bad with HPs but I wouldn’t carry like that.   I have run all the old hydra shocks and the older gold dots in the gun in the heavy weights.  I might revisit it with a few boxes of HSTs in different weights.

Anyways back to the point be wary of unadvertised changes to your selection.  It happens.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top