Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/4/2017 7:47:34 AM EDT
For plinking/practice ammo in 9mm carbines and pistols is brass cased ammo worth the extra $40 a case ?

Here's the examples:

Magtech or S&B 9mm- $199 per 1000 shipped

WOLF 9mm - $159 per 1000 shipped

So, brass is $40 more but can be reloaded or cases collected and sold for $20 or less per 1000. Usually cleaner burning and more accurate. Steel is usually dirtier, less accurate and less consistent; but goes "bang" every time. Not even going to compare barrel wear in a low pressure 9mm , it'd be almost unmeasuarable.

So for WOLF it's like buy 5 get one free, but it's WOLF

Your thoughts ?
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#1]
First thought... if you are going to collect 1000 brass cases so you can sell em for 20 bucks you are loosing money, because it would take hours to find and pick up all that.

Secondly, I shot an entire season of USPSA using TULA because I didnt have time to reload.  My scores didnt change at all.

BTW I chrono'ed that TULA   It was consistent, standard deviation was around 50 (not bad), FPS was around 1200 and PF was about 135

9mm 115gr

I still reload more than I shoot steel.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want to run around and shoot, and forget your empties...
And know they will rust away to nothing....
And save some coin.

Then do what I do and get brass cased .
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Steel for me
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:44:05 AM EDT
[#4]
where are you seeing tula for $159 shipped?
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Out of stock now but at Targetsports USA
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a reloader. But I buy factory from time to time to use in-between dry spells when I haven't reloaded more as I use a lot of ammunition. But with that said you don't have to chase all the brass. But brass is a lot less dirtier and it runs better in my guns.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think my wife just got brown bear for $166 shipped from sgammo
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think my wife just got brown bear for $166 shipped from sgammo
View Quote
Yup.

I ordered the same stuff a couple days ago and it should be here today
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Brown bear is my go to ammo. Tula shoots as well but fouls more with zinc.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I think targetsports has wolf for $160 shipped right now.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#11]
As a reloader, I lean towards buying cheap brass cased ammo when I do buy factory ammo. Often, for no other reason as it's a source of more brass. I buy steel once in a while, especially if I am going to shoot somewhere brass collection is a chore.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I usually buy brass cased ammo, and try to pickup my shells even though I don't reload pistol ammo.  Many many moons ago I competed in a few IDPA events running Blazer aluminum, always ran good and was really cheap back then
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I've used steel in the past (most of which was Brown Bear), but I typically buy brass.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 2:57:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I reload tula steel cases.   I use them at matches in case we don't have time to pick em up or at matches where we don't police brass til the end and it's all mixed up.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I shoot steel.. I like to shoot.... not reload.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I usually use brass because I reload. However I have less free time now that I have a toddler and prices for steel are getting rediculously cheap. I might start shooting some steel.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone tried armscor? Cheapest 9mm brass I can find.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
IMHO, the cheaper steel cased ammo tends to be much dirtier burning... then a  more expensive round.

I just did that big 'ol velocity 77 different rounds test through a 16" Colt pattern Carbine ... there was a dramatic difference in how clean the fired cases were inside...

By the days end of shooting the carbine ( 9hrs ) the chamber and breach face was VERY gunky.

Frankly the breach face enough gunk on it, that I had to remove some so the BCG could fully go into battery. I scrapped it off and all was GTG.

The primary concern of cheaper steel cased ammo... seems to be "It is GTG as long as it goes bang"

Just something else to consider when making your decision.

Also depending on your distance.. consider accuracy as well.... also a dramatic difference in accuracy. Some of the various ammo was nice tight 18rd groups at 100yds.... some was all over the place.
View Quote
Cleanliness is the last thing I care about when choosing ammo. I've never gotten a gun so dirty from firing that it failed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#20]
S&B 9mm brass with red primer sealant has crimped primer pockets, not worth the extra hassle to reload it.  One with green sealant has tight but not crimped pockets, reloads OK
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:37:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I normally shoot Wolf or Brown Bear but when I want to shoot 124 grain or higher I go with S&B or Magtech when I have the chance.  

I got S&B 124 grain for 189 shipped recently and Magtech 115 for 175 Shipped.  I will spend a little more for Brass when it is 25 Dollars for 1000.

The tricky spot is when you are just buying 500 rounds of something 9mm most places have Brass at more than $25 per 500 verse steel and that is when I get steel.  

I have this budget when I am CONUS of 500 .223 and 500 9mm a month.  That is normally Brass .223 and steel 9mm.  But last time it was Wolf Steel for $101 .223 62 grain HP, and 500 9mm Wolf at $75 bucks.  I have 4 LWRCis and a PWS Diablo so I shoot a lot of steel in my piston guns.  

My AR9 I was told to use just brass so that has pushed me into more brass than steel 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#23]
A friend of mine got into shooting last year , bought a Glock 19. He asked the same question, brass or steel and I advised him to buy brass, mostly because he doesn't reload and gives me all his empties!
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 4:18:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I reload tula steel cases.   I use them at matches in case we don't have time to pick em up or at matches where we don't police brass til the end and it's all mixed up.
View Quote
That's a new one.  So, Tula ammo is now boxer primed?  Or, where are you getting berdan primers?  

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#25]
I have shot some Tula 9 mm brass. It was fairly weak and would not always reliably extract in a Glock 19 I was shooting that otherwise was 100%. I wasn't impressed. To be honest it was only two boxes worth though.....If I wasn't buying brass I'd buy Blazer which I have shot for nearly 20 years and never had an issue. Anytime I go to a course I will normally load with Blazer.

Palmetto has 9 mm Blazer for $9 a box, free shipping....And this may seem trivial to some, but buying Blazer supports American industry, an American Ammunition Company and American Workers. I will always do so when it is a reasonable alternative.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Most of my 9mm factory loaded stuff is Brown Bear.  Be advised it feels quite hot and some of the chrono numbers I've gotten have been right around 1400fps out of my GLOCK 17.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Most of my 9mm factory loaded stuff is Brown Bear.  Be advised it feels quite hot and some of the chrono numbers I've gotten have been right around 1400fps out of my GLOCK 17.
View Quote
Have you looked at the cases afterwards? Any pressure spikes such as a bulged steel case or primer cratering?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Delete
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#29]
If you guys havent shot russian steel ammo in a while, you really cant comment on the current stuff. Both tula and barnaul (wolf is made by barnaul) have retooled and reformulated their ammo. The cheapo steel is actually just as accurate as american bulk ammo in some cases its moreso. I shoot a minimum of 5k of russian 9mm steel a year and have only had 2 failure to fires and those were all with brown bear, 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you guys havent shot russian steel ammo in a while, you really cant comment on the current stuff. Both tula and barnaul (wolf is made by barnaul) have retooled and reformulated their ammo. The cheapo steel is actually just as accurate as american bulk ammo in some cases its moreso. I shoot a minimum of 5k of russian 9mm steel a year and have only had 2 failure to fires and those were all with brown bear, 9mm.
View Quote
Wrong.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:00:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Wrong.
View Quote
Such an informative and insiteful reply

Box o truth test

Another option might be the Winchester USA forged steel.  I've only shot one box, and it was cleaner than Russian but dirtier than Brass case.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:13:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Box o truth test

Another option might be the Winchester USA forged steel.  I've only shot one box, and it was cleaner than Russian but dirtier than Brass case.
View Quote
Wrong again. You're talking past me and not focusing on what I highlighted in bold.

You said people have no right to comment if they do not use them. And you're wrong for saying that.

For starters Tula will tell you to pound sand if their ammo destroys your gun and secondly, using steel jacketed copper plated bullets is not going down any barrel of my guns nor will they be allowed to be shot at my steel targets. And third, people have a right to comment on these things whether you like it or not.

The fact that you cannot see how wrong your words were does not equate to such an informative and *insightful reply being warranted or even to be dignified.

I suggest critical thinking and spell checker before you hit replies.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:31:19 AM EDT
[#33]
do you reload BRO
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:51:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I MISSED A SPELLING ERROR HOW DARE I!?!?!?!?

I didn't make the original comment either, so you're getting your knickers in a twist partially at the wrong person

Also, Tula has a zinc jacket now, also proving you are commenting on that which you do not know about
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:05:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I MISSED A SPELLING ERROR HOW DARE I!?!?!?!?

I didn't make the original comment either, so you're getting your knickers in a twist partially at the wrong person

Also, Tula has a zinc jacket now, also proving you are commenting on that which you do not know about
View Quote
They're still converting and we don't know which is what lot old or new being sold right now...so back to square one.

So I am commenting on something that I do know about.

And I reload, making steel not worth it for purchasing. Making that two that I know something about that I am commenting on as well.

And they still will not cover your guns if their ammunition blows it up.

So again, people who do not use Tula can comment as much as they want to.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:37:17 AM EDT
[#36]
That's fine dude, comment away, having any knowledge or not

The Winchester USA Forged uses a steel case but not a bimetal bullet jacket, so no steel there if you were worried about barrel wear.  I really think it would make little difference, especially if the barrel is chrome lined or nitrided
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah, doubt the bi-metal jacket is going to reduce barrel life much on a pistol.  So if im saving  $40 a case on steel and put 10 cases through the glock I can buy a new glock with the savings.  The barrel will not get worn out at even 20k with steel so I can buy 2 new glocks with the savings at the bare minimum, without wasting my time  (valued at $50 an hour)& maximizing my training schedule. Now Im a FI, and have a range at my house so i shoot more than most. I also understand many guys like to reload and I think thats great. I would rather shoot so I choose steel.

The whole argument about preventing someone from commentimg is dumb. I think we all know I meant you cant have an intelligent conversation about an item without experience with the  said item. Otherwise its just BS.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:18:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Box o truth test

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wrong.

Box o truth test

It also has a copper jacket for those opposed to bi-metal jackets, which i think is silly but its just my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yeah, doubt the bi-metal jacket is going to reduce barrel life much on a pistol.  So if im saving  $40 a case on steel and put 10 cases through the glock I can buy a new glock with the savings.  The barrel will not get worn out at even 20k with steel so I can buy 2 new glocks with the savings at the bare minimum, without wasting my time  (valued at $50 an hour)& maximizing my training schedule. Now Im a FI, and have a range at my house so i shoot more than most. I also understand many guys like to reload and I think thats great. I would rather shoot so I choose steel.

The whole argument about preventing someone from commentimg is dumb. I think we all know I meant you cant have an intelligent conversation about an item without experience with the  said item. Otherwise its just BS.
View Quote
I said none of that type of ammo is going to be used in MY handguns. And at the volumes I shoot, which is a lot, wearing out barrels is an actual concern of mine, on MY guns.

Brass cased gives me better materials to load with. Brass cased factory is better shooting from companies that actually have the insurance to cover anything that their ammunition blows up. Love that you two have completely ignored that part again and again.

So experiencing with them I have, and it totally is bullshit the way you two are going at it over upset feelings because someone else "dares" to talk about it against the narrative you two are pushing in regards to tula crap.

Are we going to go all day and night about this again or can we let it go finally?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Sigh
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sigh
View Quote
Other people disagreeing with you doesn't warrant a 'sigh' If you want to prove everyone on the internet wrong... well good luck
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#42]
If steel is cheap enough I'm OK with shooting it thru some of my guns.

But I don't buy it by the case, some guns have tolerances that are too tight and I don't want a crate of ammo that won't work in all my firearms. I also have some magazines that don't feed steel cased as well as brass.

When ammo prices skyrocketed a few years ago good brass cased .45 was hard to find for under $30/box while steel case Wolf was everywhere for $15/box. For half the cost I bought a half case, no complaints.

Today there's not enough cost difference. I just ran thru a box of Independence aluminum cased 9mm for $20/100 and it shot better than Wolf or Tula for me.

I do have a friend that only shoots steel cased ammo thru his Glock because he's not 100% confident in the case support from his factory barrel. That actually kinda makes sense to me, but the only Glock I still have is 10mm and there's no steel cased 10mm.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Have you looked at the cases afterwards? Any pressure spikes such as a bulged steel case or primer cratering?
View Quote
I have looked at the cases and no pressure signs evident.  I reload a lot too but sometimes at something like a lost brass match I'm taking steel case with me.  Also if I'm doing a high volume day I'm probably taking steel cased with me as well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Other people disagreeing with you doesn't warrant a 'sigh' If you want to prove everyone on the internet wrong... well good luck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sigh
CoC violation removed - Eric802

I can see steel jackets being an issue for rifles but not handguns. Same as with steel targets.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Three things about steel case that are just irrefutable. It tends to be slightly less reliable across many different firearms.
either hard primers, sticky extractions, or weak loads are more common.

It will wear a barrel faster but for cheap pistols its not that important. It takes many K to wear one out anyway.

Lastly and most importantly the profits made from your hard earned money go straight to funding the Russian war machine which is aimed directly at you and your future children's long term interests. I really wish ISIS sold cheap ammo here so I could see all the Americans jumping over themselves to buy it. Sad really. Yes Russia is an enemy and has been for years.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:20:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Lastly and most importantly the profits made from your hard earned money go straight to funding the Russian war machine which is aimed directly at you and your future children's long term interests. I really wish ISIS sold cheap ammo here so I could see all the Americans jumping over themselves to buy it. Sad really. Yes Russia is an enemy and has been for years.
View Quote
Uh okay,.. a little off topic there. While I'm as red blooded American as they come, I'd have to say my own govt. and lawmakers have the biggest impact on me and my " future children's long term interests" more than Russia does or ever will. I really wish America sold "cheap ammo" here and then we wouldn't need to buy Russian ammo.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I mention this because I fired about 1400+rds ( 18x 77 different OEM rounds ) in one 9hr period last weekend... at about 800 rds the action and breach face was so dirty... I was starting to have failures to fire.

Granted 1/2 a can of brake clean, lubed and I was GTG... but I did start thinking about why....

So ... there may come a time in someones life.. that they also fire a bunch of ammo in one day.... or don't have the proper maintenance tools etc available.

Hence, pick a clean running ammo... you don't want a failure at the wrong moment just because someone bought filthy running ammo.to save 30 Bucks.

The spent cases will be examined closer this weekend to see which ones were so dirty.
View Quote
Most people don't shoot like you and I truth be told; a lot here do, but most don't. Training with that many rounds in a day.... forgetaboutit for most brother! I've almost gotten to the point you did with gunk build up on the breach face but the day ended. I agree with you 100% and stock mostly quality brass cased ball ammo across all calibers for SHTF. However, for a heavy training day... we'll run Wolf WPA or Tula for it's cost effectiveness. It's accurate enough and goes bang. We set up multiple stages/courses with steel silhouettes, popper plates, IDPA cardboard, "bad guys" with props on the family 35 acre farm. And since it's training it's nice to see what your pistol/rifle will do and how long they can go before a stoppage arises; because you have the chance to swap bolts carrier groups or run some brake cleaner and a coarse tooth brush across the breach face of your pistol to get back in action it's no big deal. But for SHTF, I want quality brass cased, clean burnin' ammo stoked in my mags for the reason(s) you describe for the real thing God forbid. But for training purposes, steel cased WPA, Barnaul, and Tula makes a lot of sense for high volume training days with family and friends.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Yeah, im using steel for training, wouldnt use it or any other bulk fmj ammo for duty carry.

Honestly the fouling isn't much of a problem, it takes two  minutes in between strings to clean the fouling out  if you need to. Im not going to clean my competition  glock 17 and see how long it takes to fail, it already has 500 rounds through her now with no issues.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#49]
I prefer Brass.  Buy steel cased stuff sometimes at wally world if im going with a new shooter and I want to give them plenty of trigger time with minimum coin from my pocket
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Uh okay,.. a little off topic there. While I'm as red blooded American as they come, I'd have to say my own govt. and lawmakers have the biggest impact on me and my " future children's long term interests" more than Russia does or ever will. I really wish America sold "cheap ammo" here and then we wouldn't need to buy Russian ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Giving money to Russia is exactly like buying a gun made in a commie state.

I mostly reload, but I shoot a lot of Tula 9mm at USPSA matches because you cant pick up brass... no time between stages.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top