Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2017 9:07:31 PM EDT
Planning on going to CO later this summer and possibly a trip to the Black Hills as well. I have sold most of my larger caliber handguns and have plenty of 9mms. My question is whether anyone here carries or has experience with the Buffalo Bore 9mm hard cast Outdoorsman ammo. My other option is to get a Glock 10mm (also w/Buffalo Bore), which I otherwise have no other use for. I imagine the chance I will need it is exceptionally rare, but we will have 5 kids with us and $500 for a Glock 29 seems like cheap insurance.

There's never a shortage of opinions on this site, so what do you think?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:23:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:45:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Just carry what you've got.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:09:26 AM EDT
[#3]
G20 and FPNI.

9x19 cannot do it all.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Untill you factor in Grizz/brownies or hunting game larger than deer the 9mm hard cast stuff you linked will work. I've trusted that load before and it is a great load.

Instead of buying a new gun buy a case of tula and practice mag dumps on moving paper plates.

A friend driving a remote control car is always fun.

Not my first choice but I would be OK with a g19 up in AK too
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry a G19 here in Colorado when I'm camping/hiking. Actually, I've been camping here in Colorado since I can remember (30 years or so), and I've only seen one bear- and it was a black bear.

I've seen it posted in threads about Alaska, but if you're truly in bear country carry bear spray. Use the firearms for two legged critters.

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#6]
10mm or 44mag if you are worried about critters.

Honestly though, just carry whatever you would to defend against humans.  You are much more at risk from them than critters (as long as you keep your food out of your tent.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I would carry whatever I daily carry and I did when I was in CO hiking.  At the time I carried a G32 357Sig but now I carry a 9mm.  If you encounter something that is dangerous most likely it will be a two legged threat.  I would recommend spending your money on a weapon light and holster to go with it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies. I was actually leaning very strongly in favor of getting the 10mm, but now I am definitely reevaluating.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry my 19.

Granted, this is New England.  But I'm not losing sleep over it.  

A Mag full of those Buffalo Bore hard cast will do if you ask me.  

I think of it like this. Would you question a 357? A 357 that held 10-17 rds ?
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Umm, this is CO, not the Kruger park.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Most game biologists agree that grizzlies are no longer in Colorado.  9mm is plenty for black bear IMO.  Be careful to secure your food and garbage in bear-proof containers.  Do not feed bears and do not hang around where others are feeding bears.  This drastically increases the chance of an incident, and leads to nuisance bears which have to be trapped and removed or destroyed.

http://www.backcountrychronicles.com/grizzly-bear-distribution/
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:59:10 AM EDT
[#12]
9mm with good self-defense ammo will suit you just fine here in the CO mountains IMHO.

Like another said above, get yourself a good holster and a weapon light.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:00:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carry a G19 here in Colorado when I'm camping/hiking. Actually, I've been camping here in Colorado since I can remember (30 years or so), and I've only seen one bear- and it was a black bear.

I've seen it posted in threads about Alaska, but if you're truly in bear country carry bear spray. Use the firearms for two legged critters.

View Quote

Bear spray is good but depending how angry the grizzly/black bear is, it may not work. Also bear spray is affected by wind as well so you need to be careful it the wind is blowing towards you. If I was going to Alaska and hiking I would take bear spray, a side arm, and a good semi auto shotgun with Brenneke Black Magic 3" Slugs. I have been to Denali and then we took a cruise from Seward Alaska to Vancouver BC so I was firearm free. We took a bus and saw Dall sheep up on the hillsides, grizzly bears, and some moose cows. The driver had a spotting scope and there some TV monitors through out the bus so the driver would zoom in to see the wild life up close. The grizzly bears in Denali are not as large as the one as other places like Kodiak Island. Also got a cloudless view of Denali itself which is somewhat rare. We travel there in mid-September so we it was dark and we actually got a good view of the northern lights too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Bear spray is good but depending how angry the grizzly/black bear is, it may not work. Also bear spray is affected by wind as well so you need to be careful it the wind is blowing towards you. If I was going to Alaska and hiking I would take bear spray, a side arm, and a good semi auto shotgun with Brenneke Black Magic 3" Slugs. I have been to Denali and then we took a cruise from Seward Alaska to Vancouver BC so I was firearm free. We took a bus and saw Dall sheep up on the hillsides, grizzly bears, and some moose cows. The driver had a spotting scope and there some TV monitors through out the bus so the driver would zoom in to see the wild life up close. The grizzly bears in Denali are not as large as the one as other places like Kodiak Island. Also got a cloudless view of Denali itself which is somewhat rare. We travel there in mid-September so we it was dark and we actually got a good view of the northern lights too.
View Quote

Colorado is not Alaska.

Grizzly Bears are extremely rare here. Carry bear spray and a lite weight sidearm and you'll be fine. Nobody goes hiking with a semi auto shotgun here.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#15]
9mm with 147s would be adequate for your purposes. I bring a Glock 20 10MM when I go there but only because I already have it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Glad you mentioned bear spray. Am planning to get that and take it as well. I presume most bears would simply go the other way and avoid us.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I am considering either Underwood Penetrator +p+ or Buffalo Bore Penetrator +p+. They both seem like good choices. Anyone have a favorite?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am considering either Underwood Penetrator +p+ or Buffalo Bore Penetrator +p+. They both seem like good choices. Anyone have a favorite?
View Quote
Yeah, a 10mm or a .45 Super in a semi or a .357 or .44 in a revolver.

I won't trust my life to four legged problems with a two legged answer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:24:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
G20 and FPNI.

9x19 cannot do it all.
View Quote

What is FPNI?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:26:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What is FPNI?
View Quote
Acronym for First Post Nailed It.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:03:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, from a basic materials science standpoint, a machined copper projectile will deform less and have better penetration through "hard' materials like the skull of a bear then hardcast lead.

The absolute hardest "hardcast lead" bullet is 30 Brinell.

Copper has a Brinell hardness of 80-85.

The other advantage of the underwood load is that for regular, 2 legged SD, it will offer a bit better performance then the hardcast lead, which will perform like a standard ball round.

I would opt personally for the +p+ Underwood extreme penetrator, and purchase a few boxes of Federal 115gr +p+ 9BPLE. This ammo is fairly cheap ($0.30-$0.36 per shot) and will allow you to familiarize yourself with the recoil of the Underwood, without spending over $1 a shot.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd prefer buffalo bores hard cast outdoorsman load over the ones you posted.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#23]
The bullet could be made of depleted uranium, but at some point you have to realize you're talking about a handgun.

I shoot BBHC because of the semi wadcutter shape.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Well, from a basic materials science standpoint, a machined copper projectile will deform less and have better penetration through "hard' materials like the skull of a bear then hardcast lead.

The absolute hardest "hardcast lead" bullet is 30 Brinell.

Copper has a Brinell hardness of 80-85.

The other advantage of the underwood load is that for regular, 2 legged SD, it will offer a bit better performance then the hardcast lead, which will perform like a standard ball round.

I would opt personally for the +p+ Underwood extreme penetrator, and purchase a few boxes of Federal 115gr +p+ 9BPLE. This ammo is fairly cheap ($0.30-$0.36 per shot) and will allow you to familiarize yourself with the recoil of the Underwood, without spending over $1 a shot.
View Quote

Hardcast of proper construction won't deform much and because of its density and coefficient of friction you can shoot it much faster than an equivalent copper bullet.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I would get bear spray for bears and keep the handgun for humans/dogs. The hardcast would be nice as long as you make sure it cycles well.

Buying a 10mm just for hiking seems a bit expensive. If you do it for assurance I would get a Glock20 or Glock40 as in hiking attire it will not be a big burden. The larger frame will also make it a much more effective weapon. I conceal carry the Glock40 with a nice holster and feel better hiking with it than a 9mm but I would feel 9mm was okay if I knew how to shoot it well.

Also if one of your kids is old enough you could get bear spray for them too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I have always fancied a G20 . I could see it being a decent hiking/woods gun. Cheaper, lighter weight and higher capacity than a "good" magnum revolver. There are mild defensive loads out there and you can always load it with Underwood or Buffalo Bore for the outdoors...
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#27]
without 44mag your in big bear trouble
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#28]
OP, your 9mm with the Buffalo Bore "9mm +P Outdoorsman" load will do just fine for the rare chance you run up on a brown bear. Click the product link on BB's page and Scroll down to read about the Alaskan fisherman guide that laid down a Grizzly with his 3rd gen, model# (3954) Smith and the aforementioned load. It performed quite well. It's designed to travel 2-3 feet in tissue. Yes, I said 2-3 feet... I use and carry the same load in an SP-01 for woods carry now in lieu of my converted 1911 in .45Super simply for magazine capacity reasons. Order (2-3) boxes, load 2 mags up with 10 rounds or so and practice shooting them; to make sure it cycles in your pistol obviously and to see where POA meets POI so there are no surprises.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
For game, and in general for that matter I'll always choose the heavy for caliber load. The 147 hard cast is made to punch thru hard bone. That is my woods choice...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top