Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2010 8:34:44 PM EDT
I've got an early Colt Delta Elite that I'm worried about. Bought new in 1987, and shot a lot of the original Norma 170 and 200 gr loads that were MUCH hotter than anything available at the time. I put in a Wolff 24# (I think) recoil spring and a one-piece guide rod. It looks like the disconnector cutout has peened over and into the slide. My original guess was hammer bouncing back up into the slide in recoil. Showed it to a 'smith several years ago, and he just shrugged his shoulders (older guy). I've pretty much retired this one, and shoot my 610 and .22 a lot.

Any ideas for rehab? I'd like to keep the original slide if possible, since this is a pretty early production piece (DE043XX).

Here's the damage:

Link Posted: 5/5/2010 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine (DG037xx) shows only a very light wear on the Firing Pin Plunger side.

The notch is there for the Disconnector to slip into. I would just clean up the edges and not give it another thought.
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree on cleaning up the notch there. If the disconnector works now, it should still work after that's cleaned up. I'd advise new springs throughout the DE and a wilson shockbuff. That damage almost looks like its from hammer rebound during heavy recoil (guess), so you may want to go heavier on the mainspring weight.

I've got a lot of heavy loads for mine, but mostly reload medium power rounds in the 180 grain range.

If it worries you, you could always get another slide from caspian and have it fitted. That would probably mean that you'd have to swap out the frame parts to a series 70 configuration.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 8:11:03 AM EDT
[#3]
If I were you (assuming no clever smith solutions come up) I would consider calling Colt and sending photos for a repair estimate (if possible) if not, or if prohibitively expensive, I would see how much they would want for a Delta Slide. Granted, it will be a two-tone job, as they only make stainless. Otherwise, you may want to put a WTB (Blued Delta slide or complete pistol - cracked frame OK). remanufacture the Deltas, keeping the nice slide and sell the ugly model with disclosure. If everything syncs up you may walk away paying $200 for an original replacement slide.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#4]
 The notch is there for the Disconnector to slip into. I would just clean up the edges and not give it another thought.

I second this motion.  Though I would check it from time to time.  It shouldn't cause any problems, though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#5]
EGW used to offer this repair.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top