Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 9:57:15 AM EDT
I hope this is the correct forum to post in.  I ran across this site shortly after finding cncgunsmithing.com i'm in the process of making an ar15, however when looking at the gunsmithing site i see that he made several handgun frames.  when i looked into doing that it appeared that if i were to make a frame i would have to register each with the atf for a $200 fee, he mentioned that he made them for around $150 each or so.  am i mistaken about the cost or need to register a handgun frame if you make one or is he correct and no registration needed?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, under GCA '68, a non-licensee (private party) is allowed to make one firearm without registration or payment of taxes for his PERSONAL use only. Any subsequent firearm(s) made would require that you apply for and receive the appropriate ATF GCA 68 license(s).

Charles the Gunsmith  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]
ok, after a long day i sat down and read as much of the GCA '68 and i have to say i am more confused now than ever.  i couldn't find anything i'm looking for and i'm more nervous about doing any type of gunsmithing because i dont want the ATF on my butt.  anyway the following questions come to mind if anyone wants to jump in.

they say the manufacturing of an assult rifel not including the receiver, they also same the same thing about a handgun is illegal.  I thought that the frame and the lower(receiver) were the parts they wanted to track but from reading it didn't appear that if you were making 1 or 2 for yourself that anything was wrong with that.  BTW that was my original intention.  if i am missing something or misreading the act please let me know, and thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
You are not allowed to make 1 or 2 for yourself. You are allowed to make only 1 firearm of any type for personal use. This does include NFA 1934 or later prohibitions such as Volkmer-McClure in 1986 of machine guns.

You may also not be allowed to own or possess by local or state laws which may be more stringent in you place or residence. Be careful for God's sake. Talk to a firearms attorney. Charles.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#4]
actually besides reading my info has been coming from the ATF.  from the times i've talked with them they have informed me such things are lowers are OK to make as long as they are for me, however handgun frames are not.  and now i'm getting different info everywhere i go, and dont worry i would rather be safe and go to an attorney and get it all figured out before i go and get myself into a lot of trouble.  BTW thanks for suggesting that.  anyway i'll probably get yet different information from an attorney depending on his political beliefs :(
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#5]
LOL exactly happend what i guessed would.  talked with a lawyer today and he said that for example i wanted to make some ar15 lowers that current laws regulate that as long as i am the one making then and for myself only i can make as many lowers as i want.

as for handguns his reply was i needed for each frame to get a $200 license from the atf, this is different but similar yet from what i learned.

since i just want to make the lower for the rifel and but the rest of the kit and the frame for handguns, what is your opinion of what the lawyer said now?  BTW i am in no way trying to be a smart a$$ with that question i really want to know.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
LOL exactly happend what i guessed would.  talked with a lawyer today and he said that for example i wanted to make some ar15 lowers that current laws regulate that as long as i am the one making then and for myself only i can make as many lowers as i want.

as for handguns his reply was i needed for each frame to get a $200 license from the atf, this is different but similar yet from what i learned.

since i just want to make the lower for the rifel and but the rest of the kit and the frame for handguns, what is your opinion of what the lawyer said now?  BTW i am in no way trying to be a smart a$$ with that question i really want to know.

I don't think a $200 fee per each handgun is accurate.  From my study, it appears as long as the gun is for your own personal use and will not be sold, that you don't need to purchase any "licenses" or tax stamps.

Just look at some of the cheapo handguns that have been below $200 retail.  It would make sense to believe that if a manufacturer must pay $200 per frame, than the gun would need to cost more than $200.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#7]
You need to read ATF rules (and even the applicable Federal Code and NFA) very carefully.  In many cases when they say 'firearm' they mean an NFA weapon.
The BATFE web site has the most common answers, but you still need to watch what part of the site you are reading.

(A7) Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle? [Back]
With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a nonlicensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms.
However, a person is prohibited from making a semiautomatic assault weapon or assembling a nonsporting semiautomatic rifle or nonsporting shotgun from
imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machinegun will not be
approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a federal or state agency. [18 U. S. C. 922( o), (r), (v), and 923, 27 CFR 178.39, 178.40, 178.41 and 179.105]
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#a7
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#8]
that was some good reading thanks for the link.  it was much easier than just reading the GCA of 68, that was horrid.  now let me ask the following question for anyone up to it.

knowing i am not a gunsmith
knowing i want to make a handgun frame from either billet or an 80%
from reading that i do not need a license for that gun?  correct or incorrect?

knowing i want to make ar15 lower from either billet or an 80%
from reading that i do not need a license for that gun?  correct or incorrect?

thanks again for the help and references guys.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#9]
BATFE ets to decide when you go from 'personal use' to being a manufacturer.  A few weapons would be personal use.  A run of receivers will propbably casue trouble.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top