Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2017 5:53:34 PM EDT
Hi guys,
Anyone here that has successfully lightened the double action pull weight of a S&W 642 or similar trigger?

I have a new one and there is really nothing wrong with it but I feel it could be significantly lighter.
The pull is around 13 lbs. to turn the cylinder but when I reach the cylinder lockup and you feel it set and ready to fire, it only takes about 7- 7-1/2 lbs. to actually fire it. I hope I said that right.

Now, I have a S&W model 66-1 that is smooth as silk and very light on the trigger in double action with no stacking and I would like to achieve the same thing on the 642.
I'm sure the 66-1 has been done by a good gunsmith at some point but I would like to do the 642 myself.

Any suggestions? I
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Give it to a good gunsmith,  they hate it when you bring it in parts. Use grips that fill in behind trigger guard.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 4:49:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I took the first step and ordered a Wolff Gunspring, Spring PAC for the J frame, S&W which includes the model 642 and that may be all I'll need to get a really great trigger.

I've had really good results using them before on many of my other firearms.
Then I'll know if any else is needed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 6:45:37 AM EDT
[#3]
The Apex kit, lightly polish any contact surfaces and lube.   There are youtube videos on how to do this.   Remember not to pry the sideplate off.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The geometry of the j versus k is part of why the triggers are a bit heavier to ensure reliable ignition in a defense gun and why a trigger just a bit heavier in a j feels much heavier than a marginally lighter one in a k , also coil instead of leaf mainspring is a factor as well. Any j can shoot sub 4" groups at fifty feet ( likely as far as you would ever need one in a defense scenario) if the shooter can, more practice as is would be my choice. My pet j is a stock unmodified gun from the late 60's so I suspect it is rather broken in and this could be a factor, but no matter what you do a j trigger will simply never feel quite as good as a k. There are MANY reports of people replacing j springs and ending up with misfires. Above all a carry gun must be reliable, any work that jeopardizes reliability needs to be avoided.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quote "There are MANY reports of people replacing j springs and ending up with misfires." Unquote.

Yes, the kit comes with three different weight springs so you can select the one that is most reliable.

Yes, to get the side plate off you just lightly tap the frame with a plastic hammer or screwdriver handle.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Well the Wolff spring kit came today and I was prepared for it. I had all of the nessary tools laid out and ready to go.

I striped the gun down and examined all of the parts. I had watched several videos on YouTube and already knew what to look for in advance.

I only stoned places that had burrs or raised edges and only if it would matter, this didn't take long and then I proceeded to clean, oil and install the new springs.

I chose the lightest of the three trigger rebound springs, the 13 pound one and then installed the 8 pound hammer spring and buttoned it all up and tried the trigger a few times.

Then I used my trigger scale to see if it had indeed improved. The reading I got before I started was 17-1/2 lbs.
The new reading is 11-1/2 lbs. So it made a major improvement in the pull weight and it no longer hurts to pull the trigger several times in a row.

So I am more than satisfied with the results. Now to go shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quote "There are MANY reports of people replacing j springs and ending up with misfires." Unquote.

Yes, the kit comes with three different weight springs so you can select the one that is most reliable.

Yes, to get the side plate off you just lightly tap the frame with a plastic hammer or screwdriver handle.
View Quote
I installed the lightest Springs from the Wilson kit in my daughter's 442. It does not misfire with Federal primers. It will occasionally with Winchester.  She has hand strength issues. 
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey, I got it down even more, it now has a double action pull weight of 10 lbs. even and I didn't alter the springs, I just cleaned and smoothed all of the contact points.
It's slick and smooth throughout the intire pull, plus I can now shoot it like a single action.

I love working on guns, made my day.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I got to shoot it the other day and was very pleased.
With 158 gn swc-gc +p loads it shoots 1/2" high over point of aim at 7 yards and dead center and the group itself was roughly 1/2".
Needless to say I am very pleased.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top