Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 1:32:23 PM EDT
Has anyone moded thier SIGMA ? Any aftermarket trigger bars, springs ect.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think any aftermarket parts are made for the Sigma.  None that I've seen anyway.  Someone over on the S&W Forum removed some of the springs in the trigger to get a lighter trigger pull, but I highly recommend against it.  You are taking the improvements S&W made to the Enhanced Sigmas and reversing it back to the sometimes unreliable early Sigmas.

Another person on the forum who did the mod ended up with misfires.  

Just use the Sigma as-is to ensure reliability.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]
And a friend of mine modded his trigger to the point it went full auto! Best to leave well enough alone.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Modded mine works great no misfires, nothing.
Its an easy mod to do and the gun is still reliable
I have a sw40ve
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, it works fine now.  But, the problem with reverse engineering the trigger assy back to the 1st Generation style, like doing so with the modification on the S&W Forum, is that you never know when problems are going to creep up.  If you are using it for a range/plinking toy, fine.  If there is even the slightest chance that you may need it to protect yourself or use it in any defensive situation, leave the trigger alone!  The poster who had misfires after the trigger mod was one of the early proponents of the mod and didn't start to have misfires until thousands of rounds were fired.

I've owned and been issued 1st and 2nd Generation Sigmas and not had problems with the triggers or reliability on them.  But, just like an engineer friend of mine at S&W said, you never know when the problems are going to arise.  Like he said, they didn't add those springs in there just to throw extra parts in, they are needed for reliability.  I sent the link to the mod to him, and all he said was that as soon as that spring starts to wear, even a little bit, misfired will occur.

According to the "pioneer" of that trigger mod, the S&W engineers who designed the Sigma are "idiots" and "monkeys" and he has made a better gun than they can.  Well, I have a few problems with that statement, but that's beside the point.  I'm not saying not to do the mod, if you really feel the need to.  But, if you do, don't even think about carrying it loaded on you to or from the range.  Bring along a pistol for CCW/person defense use that you KNOW will fire when needed.  For a range toy, do whatever you want to with it.  Hell, if you break it, a new one costs less than $300, so it's about the cheapest pistol to play with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top