BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:55:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the thumb safety delete is the same on the 10 mm?
View Quote

It's the same on all the M&Ps.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Does the .45 springs work? I know the 10mm is using the .45 frame.
View Quote

Yep.  They use the same guide rod and spring set up on the 4.6" models.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 11:00:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does the .45 springs work? I know the 10mm is using the .45 frame.

I picked up an assortment of springs and guide rod for the 45acp version that Wolff sells.

They do not work in my 4" 10mm. Thought the rod might just be a little long and I'd cut it down but the larrel lug side of the guide rod is different than on my 4" 10mm.

Just a FYI for everyone.

***ETA***

still going to tinker with it.

Before
Attachment Attached File

After
Attachment Attached File

Springs are still a bit long. Going to snip they a bit and see if my customer recoil spring works for the 4".

***ETA***

Took my 4" out with the heavily modified Wolff guide rod and 24lb recoil spring. Spring is prob under 24lb with the modifications.

Ran some Armscor 180gr FMJ, 180gr S&B FMJ, 180gr S&B JHP, Hornady 175gr CD FlexLock and some Ammo Inc 180gr JHP.

About 150-200rds total - 0 issues. Fired every time, ejected every time, cycled every time, locked back on an empty mag every time.

Tired about 5rds with the factory recoil spring assembly. It definitely felt under sprung to me. Went immediately back to my modified setup.

The only reasons I tried this was because I had ordered the parts and wasn't going to send the stuff back. I was able to modify the recoil rod and springs to work. I was concerned that if it was under sprung I could run into issues including my optic mount bolts shearing.

When someone releases a complete recoil assembly made specifically for the 4" 10mm I'll pick that up. I definitely think the guns recoil spring is too light from the factory.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#4]
If it helps, I just tried a 22 pound flat wire spring for a Glock 22 on the factory guide rod.   So far (1 magazine) it seems to work well.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I’m still putting rounds down range with not one malfunction using Underwood ammo but I 100% agree that the gun is under sprung from the factory. The recoil and slide movement is pretty dang brutal.

SW could have definitely done a little better R&D before this pistol hit the market. I’m guessing the testing may have been done using off the shelf low power rounds. SW should have provided a couple of different spring weights so the shooter could tune the gun to their ammo selection. I definitely love the pistol and is by far my favorite 10mm I have shot/owned.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If it helps, I just tried a 22 pound flat wire spring for a Glock 22 on the factory guide rod.   So far (1 magazine) it seems to work well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nice. I'll try one of those as well.

Quoted:
I’m still putting rounds down range with not one malfunction using Underwood ammo but I 100% agree that the gun is under sprung from the factory. The recoil and slide movement is pretty dang brutal.

SW could have definitely done a little better R&D before this pistol hit the market. I’m guessing the testing may have been done using off the shelf low power rounds. SW should have provided a couple of different spring weights so the shooter could tune the gun to their ammo selection. I definitely love the pistol and is by far my favorite 10mm I have shot/owned.

I really like the pistol as well.

I was more worried about the couple of reports showing optic screws shearing. I already mounted an optic and didn't want to catch a sight to the head. Once I tried the factory recoil spring, it made more sense why that was happening. I think my heavier spring will help prevent that.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Is it safe to say the issues seen thus far can be fixed by a heavier recoil spring? I been watching closely...want to pick up a 4.6" non-safety model. It seems to me the 4" models are more finicky.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Picked up a 4” a couple of weeks ago.
Have about 200 rds thru it without issue. I did have to have a smith use a sight pusher to bump the rear sight over to get the windage correct.
Sight was extremely tight in the dovetail.  I would like to replace the factory sights with a set of night sights.

Has anyone seen spare mags yet?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Picked up a 4” a couple of weeks ago.
Have about 200 rds thru it without issue. I did have to have a smith use a sight pusher to bump the rear sight over to get the windage correct.
Sight was extremely tight in the dovetail.  I would like to replace the factory sights with a set of night sights.

Has anyone seen spare mags yet?
View Quote

I saw 1 for $150.00 last week on GB.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is it safe to say the issues seen thus far can be fixed by a heavier recoil spring? I been watching closely...want to pick up a 4.6" non-safety model. It seems to me the 4" models are more finicky.
View Quote

In my brief experience with the M&P 10mm 4", I found that the factory spring setup worked fine for common factory 10mm that is weak.  Sig 180gr FMJ and some warm handloads didn't function well with the factory spring.     I disassembled the factory guide rod and put a 22 pound ISMI flat wire spring (for a Glock 17/22), and those problems are gone.    I plan to test 24 pound spring... might help me find more of my brass.

The other issue I had, and have mostly resolved is that the striker block was REALLY rough, and needed some sanding.  

One other possible issue is that I think the wide slide release is easier to bump in recoil.  I'd like to find one of the older style that don't stick out so much and try that.

Otherwise, smooth sailin'...
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 1:34:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Not 10mm specific, but I just got the new 9mm version. The reset is muted and muffled because of the oversized slide release on the right side of the gun.

The slide release has almost constant pressure (only slight) against the trigger bar that it's muting the reset sound.

https://youtu.be/U63zEhNBlsA
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In my brief experience with the M&P 10mm 4", I found that the factory spring setup worked fine for common factory 10mm that is weak.  Sig 180gr FMJ and some warm handloads didn't function well with the factory spring.     I disassembled the factory guide rod and put a 22 pound ISMI flat wire spring (for a Glock 17/22), and those problems are gone.    I plan to test 24 pound spring... might help me find more of my brass.

The other issue I had, and have mostly resolved is that the striker block was REALLY rough, and needed some sanding.  

One other possible issue is that I think the wide slide release is easier to bump in recoil.  I'd like to find one of the older style that don't stick out so much and try that.

View Quote

Thanks for the detail.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not 10mm specific, but I just got the new 9mm version. The reset is muted and muffled because of the oversized slide release on the right side of the gun.

The slide release has almost constant pressure (only slight) against the trigger bar that it's muting the reset sound.

https://youtu.be/U63zEhNBlsA
View Quote

Thanks for that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#14]
If I didn't already have a G20 that's been perfected by Boresight Solutions I'd be all over this.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the way.

Purchased ISMI 22lb flat wire spring for the Glock 22 and put it on my factory M&P 4" 10mm guide rod based on this recommendation. Feels much better. Haven't shot it yet but it's better than the weak factory spring.

Also have a 24lb coming.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 12:05:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I understand it’s irrelevant for most of you but does anyone know if S&W has 10 round magazines available for the 10mm platform available yet?
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Not as a reply to the post above about 10 rounders, but an FYI about magazines...

I was just able to tweak a 45 M&P magazine at the feed lips and run 10mm through it.    Holds 14, using the 45 ACP follower.

FWIW.

AIM has 10. round 45 mags (used) for 10 bucks each.    That's where I got them, cheap enough to experiment with.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#18]
So the consensus is these are GTG with a spring upgrade? My reloads are right around 1275 fps. I do know where a 4" is locally for $599.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I ordered two recoil guide rod assemblies for my 4” M&P 2.0 9mms, the guide rods are very similar in length to the one in my 4” 10mm. I then ordered a 20lb and a 22 lb ISMI spring for the Glock 19 from Lone Wolf. I figured the Glock 19 barrel is roughly the same length as the 4” 10mm. I then took apart the new guide rod assemblies and put the new ISMI springs in them. I can certainly tell the increase when hand cycling the slide. I will take them out and shot them compared to the original.

I also installed Wolf XP .45 springs in my magazines. I hope all this together will work out the kinks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Finally picked up a 4.6" at PSA.
Trigger us the best factory M&P trigger I've had, but still room for improvement.
Going to mount up the optic and do some polishing this weekend.

What spring is everyone with a 4.6" barrel using?
I don't load or have any nuclear loads but do have some warmer stuff stacked up.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Recent review:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RW6YvDkDVV4
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 12:29:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I picked up an assortment of springs and guide rod for the 45acp version that Wolff sells.

They do not work in my 4" 10mm. Thought the rod might just be a little long and I'd cut it down but the larrel lug side of the guide rod is different than on my 4" 10mm.

Just a FYI for everyone.

***ETA***

Before
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170652/20220104_223921_jpg-2229345.JPG

After
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170652/20220105_101032_jpg-2229347.JPG

Springs are still a bit long. Going to snip they a bit and see if my customer recoil spring works for the 4".

***ETA***

Took my 4" out with the heavily modified Wolff guide rod and 24lb recoil spring. Spring is prob under 24lb with the modifications.

Ran some Armscor 180gr FMJ, 180gr S&B FMJ, 180gr S&B JHP, Hornady 175gr CD FlexLock and some Ammo Inc 180gr JHP.

About 150-200rds total - 0 issues. Fired every time, ejected every time, cycled every time, locked back on an empty mag every time.

Tired about 5rds with the factory recoil spring assembly. It definitely felt under sprung to me. Went immediately back to my modified setup.

The only reasons I tried this was because I had ordered the parts and wasn't going to send the stuff back. I was able to modify the recoil rod and springs to work. I was concerned that if it was under sprung I could run into issues including my optic mount bolts shearing.

When someone releases a complete recoil assembly made specifically for the 4" 10mm I'll pick that up. I definitely think the guns recoil spring is too light from the factory.
View Quote

So I'm assuming you just cut some off the barrel lug end of the 45 guide rod til it was roughly equivalent to the 4" 10mm one? Makes sense that smith and wesson would just extend that portion of it for the extra .6" of barrel for the 45. Anybody have a 4.6" 10mm and can take a pic of their guide rod? Maybe give some dimensions on it as well. Also, here's another video I found of a guy that used a 20lb SD9/SD40 spring and guide rode. Oddly enough, he had a couple failures to feed where it looks like the round just didnt get pushed into the barrel completely. I've had that several times when shooting hot handloads, no failures with factory ammo though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikRJUzZLrmE
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 1:14:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I agree with the posters saying S&W should have engineered it for full power ammo.  M&P 40s are already available for people who want the watered down stuff.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So I'm assuming you just cut some off the barrel lug end of the 45 guide rod til it was roughly equivalent to the 4" 10mm one? Makes sense that smith and wesson would just extend that portion of it for the extra .6" of barrel for the 45. Anybody have a 4.6" 10mm and can take a pic of their guide rod? Maybe give some dimensions on it as well. Also, here's another video I found of a guy that used a 20lb SD9/SD40 spring and guide rode. Oddly enough, he had a couple failures to feed where it looks like the round just didnt get pushed into the barrel completely. I've had that several times when shooting hot handloads, no failures with factory ammo though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a FYI for everyone.

***ETA***

Before
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170652/20220104_223921_jpg-2229345.JPG

After
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170652/20220105_101032_jpg-2229347.JPG

***ETA***

Yes, but I wouldn't go this route.

As others have said, get a 22lb or 24lb flat wire spring for a Glock 22 and put that on your factory guide rod.

I went thru all the trouble above because I had ordered it thinking it would be a direct fit. It wasn't but I decided to try to make it work seeing as how I already had it. It's not worth the effort.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
* * * As others have said, get a 22lb or 24lb flat wire spring for a Glock 22 and put that on your factory guide rod.
View Quote

Vendor source for these springs?  Link?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
* * * As others have said, get a 22lb or 24lb flat wire spring for a Glock 22 and put that on your factory guide rod.

https://www.ndzperformance.com/ISMI-Glock-Gen-1-4-Recoil-Spring-24-lb-Full-Size-p/ismi-rs-24.htm

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suggested springs for the 4.6" guns?
Same?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Same?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same?

I can't say for certain, I've only tested mine, which is a 4" model.

That said, the Glock 17/22 spring was about half an inch longer than the factory spring when both were released from tension.   My guess is that it will work well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ndzperformance.com/ISMI-Glock-Gen-1-4-Recoil-Spring-24-lb-Full-Size-p/ismi-rs-24.htm

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thank you!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#31]
How many coils on the factory 4.0 spring?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Has anyone done a chrono test between the two barrels yet? I've looked everywhere but haven't found anything.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Has anyone done a chrono test between the two barrels yet? I've looked everywhere but haven't found anything.
View Quote

I haven’t seen any, but TFB compared the 4.61” G20 and the 3.78” G29 (0.83” difference) a few years ago and the velocities were closer than you would think. The 0.60” difference between the M&P 10mm barrel options would presumably be even closer:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/10/03/g20sf-vs-g29sf-how-much-difference-does-barrel-length-make/
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How many coils on the factory 4.0 spring?
View Quote

Factory 4" 10mm spring on left, Glockk 22lb spring installed on factory 4" guide rod on the right.

Just a FYI, the guide rod on the 4" 10mm is the exact same as the guide rod on the 4" 9mm. Just different springs. I picked up a spare 4" 9mm guide rod to use with testing different spring weights.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Which spring weight do you feel is the best ?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure, haven't shot with either.

Only shot with my homemade guide rod and 22lb spring and it was sufficient.

I imagine the 22lb Glock 22 flate wire spring will be good enough but I'm going to try that and the 24lb.

Maybe I'll get it out this weekend. I don't have any real high power loads, just various "normal" loads. Maybe I should take some 40S&W and see if either spring will cycle it in the 10mm.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I haven’t seen any, but TFB compared the 4.61” G20 and the 3.78” G29 (0.83” difference) a few years ago and the velocities were closer than you would think. The 0.60” difference between the M&P 10mm barrel options would presumably be even closer:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/284972/062EBB19-B432-4272-92E9-B57B73804CEF-2192935.jpg

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/10/03/g20sf-vs-g29sf-how-much-difference-does-barrel-length-make/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/284972/062EBB19-B432-4272-92E9-B57B73804CEF-2192935.jpg

Good info, thank you. I was figuring 30-50 fps. I believe I'll just grab the first one I can get. I'd rather have the 4.6 but whatever.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I imagine the 22lb Glock 22 flate wire spring will be good enough but I'm going to try that and the 24lb.

Maybe I'll get it out this weekend. I don't have any real high power loads, just various "normal" loads. Maybe I should take some 40S&W and see if either spring will cycle it in the 10mm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can add my tiny bit of experience here.    I've tried both the 22 and 24 pound springs, and I'm sticking with the 24.

Context:  I am handloading, and my near max load of Blue Dot and a 180 gr XTP got me 1180 average.  The brass was mostly recovered last time, and went about 20 feet to my 4 o'clock.  

Now let's see if the blue loctite on the RMR screws will hold.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ballistics by the Inch backs this up.  Looking at 10mm data across a variety of loads, you really want a 4" barrel minimum.  But the difference between 4" to 5" and 5" to 6" is modest.  

My desire for a 4.6" is based mostly on slide mass.  I wish instead of a 4.6" S&W had offered the "long slide" 5" model like they do for .40 and 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I can add my tiny bit of experience here.    I've tried both the 22 and 24 pound springs, and I'm sticking with the 24.

Context:  I am handloading, and my near max load of Blue Dot and a 180 gr XTP got me 1180 average.  The brass was mostly recovered last time, and went about 20 feet to my 4 o'clock.  

Now let's see if the blue loctite on the RMR screws will hold.
View Quote

And it's shooting well? Any feed issues?
Quoted:

Ballistics by the Inch backs this up.  Looking at 10mm data across a variety of loads, you really want a 4" barrel minimum.  But the difference between 4" to 5" and 5" to 6" is modest.  

My desire for a 4.6" is based mostly on slide mass.  I wish instead of a 4.6" S&W had offered the "long slide" 5" model like they do for .40 and 9mm.
View Quote

Same here. I have two 5" 9 Pros. As soon as I buy a 4 or a 4.6 they'll be everywhere
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And it's shooting well? Any feed issues?

View Quote

It seems to run great with the heavier springs, even using M&P 45 magazines.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It seems to run great with the heavier springs, even using M&P 45 magazines.
View Quote

That was my main concern, if the mags could keep up with the slide.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That was my main concern, if the mags could keep up with the slide.
View Quote

Same here.    My first time shooting it with SIG 180 grain FMJ, the slide was outrunning the magazine, especially when there were only a few rounds left.    Now, with the heavier springs, that doesn't happen anymore, so far.     I haven't tested extensively, but I have seen instant positive results with the heavier springs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm assuming at some point, hopefully by the time I've found a M&P 10mm, that companies like Wolff or Galloway come out with dedicated M&P 10mm guide rods and springs.  

It sounds like the next step after picking up an M&P10 is to source some heavier springs and appropriate guide rod.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Factory 4" 10mm spring on left, Glockk 22lb spring installed on factory 4" guide rod on the right.

Just a FYI, the guide rod on the 4" 10mm is the exact same as the guide rod on the 4" 9mm. Just different springs. I picked up a spare 4" 9mm guide rod to use with testing different spring weights.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170652/20220124_201118_jpg-2253475.JPG
View Quote

@coltc if I'm reading your post correctly, you disassembled a factory guide rod/spring assembly and installed a new spring on it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@coltc if I'm reading your post correctly, you disassembled a factory guide rod/spring assembly and installed a new spring on it?
View Quote

Just need a vice with soft contacts and 1/4" wrench/socket.
Now if i could just find an appropriate spring for my 4.6"...
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or a 1/4" socket and a pair of Leathermans like I used. lol

I'd be tempted to use the same spring, or at least try one for $8 off ebay. The G22 spring is actually a bit longer than the factory 10mm 4" spring but it should be perfectly functional without cutting. It may be good on the 4.6" as well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'd be tempted to use the same spring, or at least try one for $8 off ebay. The G22 spring is actually a bit longer than the factory 10mm 4" spring but it should be perfectly functional without cutting. It may be good on the 4.6" as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.  I just pulled a M&P40 out of my safe and sure enough, there's a hex head on one end of the assembly.  

For some reason, I had always assumed the factory assemblies were press fit together, and despite field stripping and cleaning M&P pistols many, many times never noticed the hex head.  

I learned something today
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Well I found a 4" local for $599. I guess I'll be leaving work a little early today.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Well I found a 4" local for $599. I guess I'll be leaving work a little early today.
View Quote

Good price.  Post pics!
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top