Page / 17
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 6:47:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

awesome thank you for sharing that
View Quote

You are welcome.  I have been following this thread after I bought mine with great interest.  Hope some of these guys can get theirs running right.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

cool that may be the issue?

i dont think the safety has anything to do w your left hand inadvertently touching the safety as you shoot
View Quote

Left hand was in my pocket. I’m doing more practice shooting one handed with this gun since I don’t foresee me ever having opportunity to get good grip and stance if I need to use it defensively. I probably should have mentioned earlier all shooting was one handed.

As for the mag insertion, as soon as I rack a round (14 in mag 1 in chamber) mag catches properly but still falls when firing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 8:43:56 PM EDT
[#3]
damn ok gotcha. well please keep us posted if you find a fix. maybe contact s&w? underwood ammo gets costly for troubleshooting
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I need a good leg holster for this when I'm out larping.  Any good recommendations?  Optics ready of course.  4.6" model.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I need a good leg holster for this when I'm out larping.  Any good recommendations?  Optics ready of course.  4.6" model.
View Quote

i dint think anyone has stooped so low in this thread to post a drop leg holster

i have an upper hand hip and kenai chest holsters w light and optic cutouts
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 10:05:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

i dint think anyone has stooped so low in this thread to post a drop leg holster

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/14/2023 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#7]
For what it's worth, my 10mm Performance Center has had a wide variety of 180 grain through it with the stock spring (and an optic on slide), and has had zero malfunctions.  I didn't try anything really light (like American Eagle), but all of the moderate and heavy loads worked fine.  I'll try some heavier bullets in the near future.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Upgraded the optic on this one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I was seriously considering trading in my glock 20 gen 4 for one of these until I breezed through this thread. I think I will wait.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was seriously considering trading in my glock 20 gen 4 for one of these until I breezed through this thread. I think I will wait.
View Quote

That would be a mistake in my opinion unless you really love Glock ergos
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well…I have many glocks and no smiths. Thought I would give one a try. I’ve only put about 150-200 rounds through it, but predictably not a single malfunction.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I have run several hundred rounds through it at this point and not a single malfunction other than a primer that wouldn't go off on one of my handloads.  Which was probably my fault.  I have a 24lb spring in it and it will feed 180gr @ 1050 fps up to 1300+fps rounds with no issue.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well…I have many glocks and no smiths. Thought I would give one a try. I’ve only put about 150-200 rounds through it, but predictably not a single malfunction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What ammo? From what I understand the glocks have the same issues with some of the 200/220 grain hardcast as the Smiths.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What ammo? From what I understand the glocks have the same issues with some of the 200/220 grain hardcast as the Smiths.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I remember correctly, it was all 180gr.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Great choice.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone using a vortex venom on one oh these? Thinking about using mine for a deer hunt. I have never shot a pistol with a red dot but I got a venom last year for Christmas or is it not robust enough? I could always put it on the dagger I just picked up. What plate do I need to order to run it on the. Smith?
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anyone using a vortex venom on one oh these? Thinking about using mine for a deer hunt. I have never shot a pistol with a red dot but I got a venom last year for Christmas or is it not robust enough? I could always put it on the dagger I just picked up. What plate do I need to order to run it on the. Smith?
View Quote

I had one on my Smith 10 and it worked fine.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#18]
First kill with the new woods gun.
20yd, XTP about gutted it on exit
Should make a neat little mount.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm needing another M&P and thinking I want to go 10mm since I already load for it for my brother's Glocks. Having a bear gun wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Couple questions:

1) What's the best deal on magazines? 1a) Any extensions available?

2) Will the M&P 10 fit in holsters for 2.0 9mms, or are the dimensions larger enough to require different holsters?

3) Best place for spare parts for the 10mm?
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 2:13:36 AM EDT
[#20]
not sure on #1 or #3, i searched google for my extra mags

the 10mm wont fit 9mm holsters but is same frame/slide as 45
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 5:06:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not entirely true.
Mine fit in a couple i had, especially if that had adjustable retention.
I had one made for it with my light of choice though.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

Not entirely true.
Mine fit in a couple i had, especially if that had adjustable retention.
I had one made for it with my light of choice though.
View Quote

Appreciated. I've found a few places with mags in-stock. I'll keep searching for extensions.

I'm planning on putting a TLR-1 on it, so I'll look at holster for the .45 version. If I don't find what I want, I'll have a reason to make a leather IWB and a Kydex OWB holster.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quick report on my (seemingly resolved) FTF issues with 220gr underwood hardcast

My optic screw came loose shooting 80rds few months ago so i cleaned old loctite and reinstalled w blue loctite and torqued to 18in/lbs instead of 15in/lbs and took to the range to sight in. Shot 15 more rounds of 220 underwood hardcast with still no F2F issues. i have a 50 more rounds to close out my FTF testing within the next month

Gun upgrades: upgraded mag springs, 20# recoil spring, apex fre extractor

Since upgrading components have fired 95rds of 220gr underwood without FTF issues
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Does anyone know when they will start shipping the new ones out of the Tennessee facility?
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quick report on my (seemingly resolved) FTF issues with 220gr underwood hardcast

My optic screw came loose shooting 80rds few months ago so i cleaned old loctite and reinstalled w blue loctite and torqued to 18in/lbs instead of 15in/lbs and took to the range to sight in. Shot 15 more rounds of 220 underwood hardcast with still no F2F issues. i have a 50 more rounds to close out my FTF testing within the next month

Gun upgrades: upgraded mag springs, 20# recoil spring, apex fre extractor

Since upgrading components have fired 95rds of 220gr underwood without FTF issues
View Quote

I did those same upgrades with good results.

- 75 Rounds S&B 180gr
- 60 Rounds Underwood 200gr
- 20 Rounds Underwood 220gr

Zero issues. Prior to the upgrades the S&B shot fine but couldn't get through an entire magazine of Underwood in either bullet weight. I went to a 24 lb recoil spring and the 200gr ran better but still not perfect. I decided to get 20, 22 and 24lb Galloway Precision springs, Apex extractor and the extra power magazine springs and try different combinations. Honestly I think the key is the magazine springs since the biggest issue I had was feeding. Gun ran fine no matter which recoil spring I used. Didn't have the stock recoil spring with me so did not try that.

This brings up the question to which would be the better spring to use. Seems like the 24lb would reduce recoil shock on the gun but would slam the slide closed harder, the 20lb would close the slide more gently but there would be more recoil force on the gun. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:15:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

- 75 Rounds S&B 180gr

Zero issues. Prior to the upgrades the S&B shot fine but couldn't get through an entire magazine of Underwood in either bullet weight. I went to a 24 lb recoil spring and the 200gr ran better but still not perfect. I decided to get 20, 22 and 24lb Galloway Precision springs, Apex extractor and the extra power magazine springs and try different combinations. Honestly I think the key is the magazine springs since the biggest issue I had was feeding. Gun ran fine no matter which recoil spring I used. Didn't have the stock recoil spring with me so did not try that.

This brings up the question to which would be the better spring to use. Seems like the 24lb would reduce recoil shock on the gun but would slam the slide closed harder, the 20lb would close the slide more gently but there would be more recoil force on the gun. Any thoughts?
View Quote

glad its working for you. my strong belief is a 22# and 24# recoil spring is TOO HEAVY even for 220gr underwood and prevents the slide from fully traveling rearward to pick up the next round. i settled on a 20# spring which seems to have fixed my ftf with 220gr underwood. ive never had ftf issues with any other ammo

see 2m30s mark:

Technical Tuesday: Identifying Malfunctions - Nose Up Jam

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

glad its working for you. my strong belief is a 22# and 24# recoil spring is TOO HEAVY even for 220gr underwood and prevents the slide from fully traveling rearward to pick up the next round. i settled on a 20# spring which seems to have fixed my ftf with 220gr underwood. ive never had ftf issues with any other ammo

see 2m30s mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQbyRa_-pgc

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- 75 Rounds S&B 180gr

see 2m30s mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQbyRa_-pgc

I posted in ripcurl's thread, but I just finished my testing and at least for me, the key component was the Apex failure resistant extractor, probably the magazine springs, but not the recoil spring.  Copied and pasted from the other thread:

TL:DR - It's the magazine springs and extractor...not the recoil spring.

I previously posted about my issues trying to get Underwood 200 gr hard cast to run reliably (never had an issue with S&B 180 gr or Underwood 180 gr range supply), but my process went like this: 22 lb recoil spring -> Springer Precision magazine springs -> 20 lb recoil spring -> factory recoil spring.  After all these changes, I couldn't get through a full magazine of Underwood 200 gr hard cast without some sort of malfunction.  The closest I got was the 20 lb recoil spring with the upgraded magazine springs, where the first 14 rounds of a magazine would work, but I'd get a nose up failure to feed on the last round of the mag.

I bought and installed the Apex failure resistant extractor and tonight I ran 2 full mags of the 200 gr hard cast with the 20 lb recoil spring, and all 30 rounds went off with a single issue.  I was feeling lucky so I swapped in the factory recoil spring and fired another full mag...no issue.  I've got about 200 more 200 gr hard cast rounds I can continue to test with (I'll try the 22 lb recoil spring with the Apex failure resistant extractor and Springer Precision magazine springs, maybe even swap the original magazine spring into a mag to see how that goes), but this is the first time ever that I've gotten through a full magazine of hard cast without some sort of issue.  It FINALLY looks like I have a functioning 10 mm pistol I can carry with me in the woods.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Awesome job guys I updated my post -- looks like the stock extractor is the issue
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#29]
50rds 220gr underwood shot today, no FTF issues.

Due to firing that many shots I had to change my grip from 1911-style thumb over safety, to thumb under safety and I had my first instance of the magazine coming out. Not sure if I hit it with my finger during shooting but will chock it up to a fluke for now.

Since upgrading extractor I have fired 145rds of 220gr underwood without FTF issues.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 11:20:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Busy work schedule hasn’t allowed me to be able to get the vortex venom mounted yet. But I’ve been thinking about getting a holosun 507 green reticle

Or would you guys use the venom I already have?
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:16:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Busy work schedule hasn’t allowed me to be able to get the vortex venom mounted yet. But I’ve been thinking about getting a holosun 507 green reticle

Or would you guys use the venom I already have?
View Quote

whatever you do, do not mount your optic w the plastic optic plate that came w your gun. purchase a metal one
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
whatever you do, do not mount your optic w the plastic optic plate that came w your gun. purchase a metal one
View Quote

Skip both and get the Holosun SCS MP2.
No plates, lowest mount possible.
Let's you use low sights.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have a certain brand in mind? Sorry I have never ran a red dot. I want to set this pistol up to try and take a deer with it next year during our alternative season
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Have a certain brand in mind? Sorry I have never ran a red dot. I want to set this pistol up to try and take a deer with it next year during our alternative season
View Quote

I have the Dog Tag plate on mine https://www.calculatedkinetics.us/products/smith-and-wesson-m-p-2-0-dogtag-optic-plate, with a green Holosun EPS.  I really like the plate because it reduces the amount of powder residue on the sight.

I have another M&P with Holosun without the dog tag plate, and the difference in powder on the glass is huge.  

Link Posted: 12/26/2023 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Looks like I need a new sight. I can’t find a metal plate for the venom to fit on the optics ready M&P. I was hoping to use the venom since I already had it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Just for another data point, I have the 20 lbs recoil spring.  Had a few FTF in the initial few rounds, since then:

170 rounds of 180gr ball
20 rounds Federal 200g Syntech
20 rounds Federal 200gr "Punch"
20 rounds Federal 200gr Fusion
20 rounds HSM 200gr lead RNFP 'bear load'
20 of Grizzly 200gr FMJ-FP "bear load"
120 of Grizzly 200gr JHP

Been using one stock magazine and one with upgraded magazine spring.  Plan to go out in the next week or so and do more ball ammo, then dig up the 220gr stuff and try that.   Will update round counts when I do.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
50rds 220gr underwood shot today, no FTF issues.

Due to firing that many shots I had to change my grip from 1911-style thumb over safety, to thumb under safety and I had my first instance of the magazine coming out. Not sure if I hit it with my finger during shooting but will chock it up to a fluke for now.

Since upgrading extractor I have fired 145rds of 220gr underwood without FTF issues.
View Quote

Fantastic news.

Thanks
Page / 17
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top