Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2002 7:35:34 PM EDT
I am new to the handgun world.  I have a few rifles including a Bushmaster AR15.  I recently picked up a S&W 686 Plus .357 Mag with a 4" Barrel. When I took it to the range I wasnt satisfied.  I was shooting 1 foot groups at 25 yards with PMC 158 grain JSP ammo (.357).  Is this normal?  What, if anything could have caused this?  It was not just this one time.  This has happened the three times I have been to the range, indoor and out.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 5:41:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Not to imply operator error in anyway, have you let someone else try it yet? I find it hard to think even S&W would let one go out the door like that. If thats the case, it would be on its way back to Massatwoshitz.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response.  Yeah...i did let others shoot it.  My friend and my girlfriend.  Both of which are decent shots at worst.  They both had the same problem.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Two things.  One, make sure the gun is clean, especially around the forcing cone.  Two, try some different ammo.  The gun should do much better thn that.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2002 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely try some different ammo.  I'd suggest 125gr. first.  I had a non-S&W revolver that absolutely would not shoot 158 grain bullets, but loved 125 grain, and kicked ass with 110 grain.  As the weight went up, the groups opened.  I have no idea why.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats what i'm going to try for now.  Maybe the short barrel and the long barrel twist rate may not be able to balance out the 158 grain round...hmmm.  We shall see.  Thanks guys...you've been helpful as always.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Two things.  One, make sure the gun is clean, especially around the forcing cone.  Two, try some different ammo.  The gun should do much better thn that.  

What Ameshawki said, plus...If lead was ever fired from it, it may be almost undetectable in the rifling. You did get it new? My current 4" S&W loves anything I feed it, along with all the S&W .38s and .357s I have had in the last 30+ years. Good luck sorting it out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#7]
2 Things.....had poor luck with pmc ammo.....but that was years back........and a similar thing with one of my 44 mags.....was leaded up pretty bad.....and I thought that I had`nt shot it that much....anyway.....some serious scrubbing with the bench rest was needed.....I thought I was losing my abilities.....until I looked real good down the bbl.....mostly just passed the focing cone...as mentioned....this will do it to ya!
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Besides.......six shooters were not supposed to be seven shooters!..........
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey BE NICE.. .  Ok...up to this point I had only been scrubbing with Break-Free CLP.  I took some copper solvent to it yesterday and it seemed to clean out the bore really nice.  I also ordered some Black Hills 125 grain JHP 357 rounds from www.georgiaprecision.com .  We'll see if they are any improvements.  I am crossing my fingers.  Thanks for the advice guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top