Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2017 11:04:18 AM EDT
I'm on the edge of buying an S&W 460 magnum and I'm just wondering if anyone has any experiences with this particular line of their guns that aren't good? I've run across videos like the below which give me pause. I've had lots of their other guns that have served me well in competitions, but my friend has only fired less than 80 rounds through his 500 magnum so I'm wondering if there are high round counts on people's guns without issue.  Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm-kCSZLpzY
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#1]
A friend let me shoot his .460.  I shot it twice, didn't bother to finish the cylinder.  Rough recoil, insane volume.  I like the bones in my wrist and ears where they are, thankyouverymuch.  

I'll stick to my .44 Mag SBH.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the S&W four inch 500 Magnum, I've had it for a couple of years but haven't fired it yet. The 460 is more versatile since you can shoot 454 Casull, 45 Long Colt and 460. I say go for it !
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally I can't find a reason to buy one. I too see no need for more than a .44 magnum. That's just me though. You want it, go get it.

Link Posted: 8/30/2017 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Double tap!
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Abusive recoil and blast only holds five shots pretty much only uses other than self abuse and macho factor would be hunting and metallic silhouette. I would pass. A 44 mag n frame would be far more versatile
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#6]
The fact that they make a 500 is the main reason to not get a 460

Other than that no
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, any practicality goes out the window once you move past an N-frame. I used to have a 500 mag but I sold it because of it's rediculousness. I ended up getting the 5" 460 but haven't shot it yet. I'm liking that it's a lighter bullet with more powder instead of the other way around with the 500. It should be easier to shoot. After shooting a LOT of 357 in an N-frame for competition, I don't like the idea of killing my wrist with 44 magnum out of an even lighter version of the same sized frame (bigger holes, less metal).  My big worry with all of this was S&W's quality. I've found 3 videos on youtube where someone's gun blows up, always with only about 300-400 factory loads, and S&W refuses to fix it. Seeing as there's only about 20 videos on youtube of people showing off their 460, I got worried at the ratio.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Guns blowing up are almost always ammo related screwups. You might shoot a Model 29 out of time or loose but not blow it up without help from bad ammo.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Son has a 8" model. Although I've only put a few rounds through it it myself ( all factory loads. Sorry, don't remember specs and all ) It is indeed a Monster of a handgun.

That stated, with the combo of barrel length and grip mass the 460 S&W is more of a pleasure to shoot than a Ruger SBH with a 4.62 bbl in 44 mag using hot Buffalo Bore rounds.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally I can't find a reason to buy one. I too see no need for more than a .44 magnum. That's just me though. You want it, go get it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/M29-3CulinaS_zpsxnnerott.jpg
View Quote
That is drop dead sexy.. I am on the hunt for one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That is drop dead sexy.. I am on the hunt for one.
View Quote
John Culina smooth cokes in American Holly. The right shoes can make any lady look good, and a looker most sexy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would bet dollars to pesos that not a single one of those guns was fed exclusively factory ammo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've found 3 videos on youtube where someone's gun blows up, always with only about 300-400 factory loads, and S&W refuses to fix it. Seeing as there's only about 20 videos on youtube of people showing off their 460, I got worried at the ratio.
I would bet dollars to pesos that not a single one of those guns was fed exclusively factory ammo.
That's almost always the case
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Other than big game hunting (really big) I'm not sure I see a purpose.  My limited experience with the 460 is most of the people that buy them rarely if ever shoot them.  I have one friend that bought one five years ago and still hasn't popped a round.  They're big, heavy, kind of awkward, and expensive.  Ammo is expensive and often hard to find.  

I have both 44 Mag and 45 Colt handguns.  If I need something more it's going to be a rifle or a shotgun with slugs.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:11:30 PM EDT
[#16]
There's a fourth round you can shoot out of the .460 and thats the .45 S&W Scholfield.

CD
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I own one with an 8" barrel.  I love the thing and have hundreds maybe even a thousand rounds through and many kills under its belt.

The main thing I like is it shoots 3-4 different calibers.  45LC has zero recoil, and the 460 is obviously a beast. A 360gr round flying at 2k fps is no joke! I just wish they made a lever action (at a reasonable price) for the caliber.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I own and shoot a 1st generation 460 performance center XVR hunter topped with a scope, I have used factory and reloaded ammunition with a round count of a few hundred. I bought it to hunt and have never regretted the purchase. The ballistics are not out preformed by any other hand gun specific round and if you want a hand gun to hunt with this is the one. Recoil is very manageable with the 200gr factory ammunition, of course as you increase weight you increase recoil. I offer people the chance to fire mine when I am at the range and most people shy away with out even trying but, if they do the first thing comes out of their mouth is WOW THAT'S NOT BAD.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Nope, no reason to shy away from such a great gun! I've been around 4 of them and no issues in any of them. One of my personal favorites! I've shot many 44's that are much worse for recoil and fun.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine should be here Wednesday. Go for it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The fact that they make a 500 is the main reason to not get a 460

Other than that no
View Quote
This.

I think the population of people for whom a 460/500 is actually practical is extremely small. NEEDING a 460 instead of a 500 is a very nuanced dividing line. The fact that S&W sells enough to keep producing them is a testament to the gun community's fascination with toy/novelty guns people own just for shits and giggles. Which is completely fine but be honest with yourself about why you're buying it - if you just want something to open eyes at the range, hunt occasionally, be a conversation piece and be really awesome, get a 500. It's the King Kong of production guns. If the aforementioned list represents 80+% of why you're buying it, you're just half-assing it with a 460. I owned a 500 for a year or so, put maybe 200 rounds through it and sold it. It's a super cool gun. Shooting my Model 29 is just much easier, economical and fun IMO.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have the S&W four inch 500 Magnum, I've had it for a couple of years but haven't fired it yet. The 460 is more versatile since you can shoot 454 Casull, 45 Long Colt and 460. I say go for it !
View Quote
This.  I fired a .500 Mag and it wasn't awful.  I wouldn't want to use it in a 3-gun event.
I like the versatility of the .460.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top