Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/25/2006 2:02:21 PM EDT
I am going to the Desert soon - my primary sidearm will be the M9; however all I have in my arms-room is checkmate mags; considering buying my own mags. Is Mec-Gar anygood?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:11:28 PM EDT
Mec-Gar is about as good as it gets. I believe Beretta factory mags are made by Mec-Gar.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:53:31 PM EDT
Mec-Gar are some of the best. Several manufacturers provide them from the factory with their firearms. As far as Beretta mags they are produced in-house by M.D.S. (Meccanica Del Sarca), which is a division of Beretta Firearms. I would stick with the factory PB (Pietro Beretta) marked or M.D.S. marked mags as they are of comparable quality, and they are probably cheaper than Mec-Gar, so you can get more.
CDNN has new M.D.S. mags for $19.99
new Beretta PB marked for $22.99
used PB marked for $19.99
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:44:17 PM EDT
Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:50:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 4:52:12 PM EDT by DocGun]
I believe Mec-Gar manufactures the OEM mags for Sig among others. They just put the company's name on the mag.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:34:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DocGun:
I believe Mec-Gar manufactures the OEM mags for Sig among others. They just put the company's name on the mag.

From the Mec-Gar website:

Mec-Gar is proud to be an Original Equipment Manufacturer of magazines to most of the
prominent firearm manufacturers for the last 40 years. The following are a few of the firearm
manufacuturers to whom Mec-Gar has supplied magazines to throughout our history:

AMT, Armscor, Astra, Beretta, Bernadelli, FN, Browning, BUL, Charles Daly,
Colt, CZ, IMI, Kel-Tec, Kimber, Llama, North American Arms, Remington,
Sigarms, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armory, STI, Standard Arms, Star,
Steyr, Tanfoglio, Taurus, Walther

I guess they did provide mags for Beretta at some point.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:35:10 AM EDT
I have Mec-Gars for my PPK/S, my Hi Power & my PT99. All have functioned fine so far.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:55:51 PM EDT
I too have used both mec-gar and MDS magazines for my Beretta 92fs and I will say they are good magazines, however I have never used them in any rough terain such as the desert, but they are as good as factory magazines.

Tom
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:24:30 AM EDT
MDS are factory mags for Beretta. Mec-Gar made Beretta mags in the past. FWIW, MDS and Mec-gar happen to be in the same city in Italy oddly enough.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:32:27 AM EDT
Function very well. Monitor the feed lips for cracks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:09:01 PM EDT
The New checkmate mags do not have the feed problems like the old batch.

Chances are the checkmage mags you will be issued will be fine.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:51:13 PM EDT
I trust the Mec-Gars as much as I do the PB marked mags for my 92 - and many hold 17rd's over PB's 15 (though some are just like PB - 15 rd's).
Top Top