BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 8:39:46 AM EDT
[#2]
AIM was out of stock when I decided to jump, so I ordered one from DK.

I don’t really plan on using it as a defensive gun, I got it more as a companion for my VZ.61 Skorpion SBR.  I like the 32 ACP much better than the 380. I wish there were more small 32 pistols available in current production.

I bought a case of that Geco 32 ACP that was available from Midway USA a couple of months ago for $8/box. So, feeding the little beast won’t be an issue.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was good enough to kill Hitler.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
32ACP pretty worthless.
Common misconception that.45 won WW2, it was actually .32!

Quoted:
Quoted:
Anybody have a source to get G10 grips for these?
Allegheny has some in the works. But they aren't available or listed on website yet. Saw a post by them about them on the Beretta forum.

G10 grips
G10’s are available starting today but you have to call in to order.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw them and was tempted but I didn’t want to have to buy 32 ammo.  Plus extra magazines are crazy expensive
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#5]
For those that may be new to the 7.65 Browning (.32 ACP) cartridge, I'll give my experience with currently available ammo for them.  I own several .32s, some kinda new, and most pre WW2.  They can be picky eaters for sure.  That said the two ammo brands I've never had issues with in any of my pistols are S&B and GECO.  The S&B is subjectively the hotter of the two, and is the one I would use if I had to press my 32s into a self defense role.  They both have been 100% for me in all my little blasters.

As far as the rest go...  I have had issues with Fiocchi, PMC, Remington, and Winchester in all my pistols save the Savage 1907 French Contract, and it still malfed with the Fiocchi and PMC.

As with all older designs, they as a group tend to be ammo sensitive, but the S&B and GECO are totally GTG.

I do want to try some Prvi, as they tend to load hot, and have a good grasp on European pistol needs.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Part of the reason for the ammo sensitivity is likely due to the fact that the majority of early 20th century pistols did not really use a set standard for chamber or bore dimensions. I have measured bores from the correct .311 down to the south end of .308 and chamber specifications seem to be all over the place as well. I’ve made a fair number of .32 barrels at this point and it really seems that while bore is critical to accuracy, the chamber is where reliability is made and lost.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Part of the reason for the ammo sensitivity is likely due to the fact that the majority of early 20th century pistols did not really use a set standard for chamber or bore dimensions. I have measured bores from the correct .311 down to the south end of .308 and chamber specifications seem to be all over the place as well. I've made a fair number of .32 barrels at this point and it really seems that while bore is critical to accuracy, the chamber is where reliability is made and lost.
View Quote
The age of the recoil and hammer springs are also a likely issue, especially since many of these guns are a century or so old and people rarely change springs like they should. A weak recoil spring will cause obvious issues with feeding, but the hammer spring on hammer-fired guns also plays an often-overlooked (and deceptively important) part in retarding the slide speed. Spend the $5-$10 on those two springs to properly maintain your poor pistols.

100+ year old springs should be replaced, people!
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 12:58:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The age of the recoil and hammer springs are also a likely issue, especially since many of these guns are a century or so old and people rarely change springs like they should. A weak recoil spring will cause obvious issues with feeding, but the hammer spring on hammer-fired guns also plays an often-overlooked (and deceptively important) part in retarding the slide speed. Spend the $5-$10 on those two springs to properly maintain your poor pistols.

100+ year old springs should be replaced, people!
View Quote
Except the hammer spring on a P6...those damn things will NEVER wear out. Not even in a hundred years!!!!  
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Both of the above statements are factual. Most all of the subcompact pistol malfunctions I see are because of weak springs. The worst part is that folks don’t realize how much damage they’re doing to their guns by just ignoring the problem. I have a bunch of .32’s but my favorites are my silenced Beretta 84F with .32 threaded barrel and my 1927 Colt ‘03 pocket hammerless. Both run flawlessly and are an absolute joy to punch holes with but the first thing I did when I got each one was to swap the spring sets.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I initially balked about adding another caliber, but berettas seem to call my name.

I think this might be a good trainer for my wife. She likes revolvers but is very apprehensive about semi autos. She has not been a fan of the 9mm pistons I've had her try so far. I'm thinking this might be a good entry point above 22.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

these are from Italy
View Quote
Any Model 82's on the horizon?
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 11:44:09 PM EDT
[#14]
i don't know that there were ever really that many 82's in circulation to be brought in. I got tired of looking and just snagged a nice 85 and swapped in a .32 barrel. Mags and springs are the same among the single stacks and it seems to work just fine.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#15]
How are the .32 autos with a 9mm suppressor?

Being a fixed barrel and factory standard loads are subsonic it would be a good suppressor host.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If AIM says it's a select grade, it's probably gonna be a good one.
View Quote
I don't know about that. I ordered a select grade from AIM and it wasn't that great. Not terrible but not great. Slide has some chips and some scratches and some high edge wear, same with the frame too. Comparatively, I also ordered a standard grade from Classic without hand select, because I don't trust Classics hand select. The standard grade from Classic was much better than the Select grade from AIM.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I enjoy shooting mine suppressed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I enjoy shooting mine suppressed. https://i.imgur.com/Mh0vlvn.jpg
View Quote
Sweet! What barrel did you use? Btw in case your interested in some suppressor sights the link below may help get you some.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/I-couldn-t-resist-Beretta-Model-81/5-2246573/&page=4&anc=80529334#i80529334
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sweet! What barrel did you use? Btw in case your interested in some suppressor sights the link below may help get you some.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/I-couldn-t-resist-Beretta-Model-81/5-2246573/&page=4&anc=80529334#i80529334
View Quote
The barrel is from Allegheny Arms.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I enjoy shooting mine suppressed. https://i.imgur.com/Mh0vlvn.jpg
View Quote
Nice!  Makes me want to get the threaded barrel and throw on a 9mm suppressor.  The smaller Berettas with a can just look so good!
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
i don't know that there were ever really that many 82's in circulation to be brought in. I got tired of looking and just snagged a nice 85 and swapped in a .32 barrel. Mags and springs are the same among the single stacks and it seems to work just fine.
View Quote
Good to know.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The barrel is from Allegheny Arms.
View Quote
I am beginning to reallllly like this company.  They friggen' think like we do!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I am beginning to reallllly like this company.  They friggen' think like we do!!!!!!!
View Quote
Solid company for sure. They do some amazing stuff!
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How are the .32 autos with a 9mm suppressor?

Being a fixed barrel and factory standard loads are subsonic it would be a good suppressor host.
View Quote
This is the very first test fire of the prototype of the barrel posted above. Can is a Gemtech Tundra 9mm with no ablative.

VIDEO HERE
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 6:29:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This is the very first test fire of the prototype of the barrel posted above. Can is a Gemtech Tundra 9mm with no ablative.

VIDEO HERE
View Quote
Thanks for sharing - Seems very quiet - especially that its is indoors.

This inexpensive gun purchase is turning into a bigger NFA project now
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Yeah they are relatively quiet, almost surprisingly so considering they are blow-back. Not that expensive either, really unless you don't already have a 9mm can. The barrels are like $185 so those could be worse for sure.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Just got the call from my FFL mine arrived from CLassic (Std Grade)  He said it was rusty on the slide - maybe pitted.

I was hoping for better condition.    I guess I better get my rust blue and polishing gear out.  I can KG gunkote the Aluminum frame
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just got the call from my FFL mine arrived from CLassic (Std Grade)  He said it was rusty on the slide - maybe pitted.

I was hoping for better condition.    I guess I better get my rust blue and polishing gear out.  I can KG gunkote the Aluminum frame
View Quote
I beginning to regret ordering my second one from Classic instead of DK when AIM ran out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Just FYI, guys. I just got some info that there were around 3-3500 of these guns in this batch. Just some gee whiz if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
You should be thankful, sweaty ben must've selected it himself,usually that would be an extra fee.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#31]
It's not a big deal - I've been collecting mil-surps since the 80s and sometimes I do well and other times not - I've learned how to refinish firearms that  could use TLC.  Sometimes I enjoy the TLC.  Rust Blue, spray and bakes like KG Gunkote or Molyresin, and parkerizing.  So not much can't be redone if its solid.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Posting this in pertinent threads:

Just a head's up guys: some of these may be real tight....but that is NOT a bad thing.

I had to carefully prise the locking lever down ( made sure it was not obstructed by the button ) and then mallet the slide off of the frame with a hard plastic mallet. The barrels on these are super tight to the frame.

To re-assemble: make sure the recoil guide rod is dead center on the barrel. Carefully push the slide barrel assembly onto the frame (after cleaning and lightly oiling ) until the barrel is fully seated. This may require force but should be smooth. Make sure it doesn't come out of the breech face of the slide.

Now, while you do this make sure the recoil guide rod snaps or slides right in front of the locking lever recess and into the frame. You may have t wiggle the guide rod a bit. If you do this correctly, the lever will now snap up correctly.

The 84 has the same gremlins...but once you get good at it, it is a breeze.

To learn the fitment, you can put the barrel on the frame without the slide the then install the recoil rod, paying attention on how the button end needs to slide past the clearance notch on the take down lever and how it needs to seat into the frame.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 12:35:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Keep in mind that on high use guns and especially in the .380 models if the recoil spring has excessive wear or if they have seen a lot of shooting, the slide can actually peen the frame slightly into the barrel tongue and this can cause issues taking the barrel and slide off as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I picked up my Hand Select gun from DK today. It looks quite nice:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Mine.

Externally, not as bad as it looks on camera.  Internally....nearly brand new.

I am gonna try to get pics of my friend's pistol.  Her's looked brand new!!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#37]
FYI
There is a new listing on AIM for a 81BB Model. I just ordered a Select Grade which is still in stock.  
https://aimsurplus..com/beretta-model-81bb-32-auto-pistol-select-grade/.  My Classic order still hasn't shipped.

Just arrived! Italian made Beretta Model 81BB .32acp pistols. The "BB" version of the Beretta 81 is the later updated model with several feature enhancements including: more substantial 2-Dot fixed sights, a wider serration pattern on the slide, Front and Rear vertical grip strap serrations and sturdy redesigned slide.   These Select Grade pistols represent the best of our one and only 81BB shipment. The Beretta 'Cheetah' design is one of Beretta's finest..
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
FYI
There is a new listing on AIM for a 81BB Model. I just ordered a Select Grade which is still in stock.  
https://aimsurplus..com/beretta-model-81bb-32-auto-pistol-select-grade/.  My Classic order still hasn't shipped.

Just arrived! Italian made Beretta Model 81BB .32acp pistols. The "BB" version of the Beretta 81 is the later updated model with several feature enhancements including: more substantial 2-Dot fixed sights, a wider serration pattern on the slide, Front and Rear vertical grip strap serrations and sturdy redesigned slide.   These Select Grade pistols represent the best of our one and only 81BB shipment. The Beretta 'Cheetah' design is one of Beretta's finest..
View Quote
AAAAAAAAAAAARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggg!!!!

NOT ordering one!!!!  I am done!  Done, I say!
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I jumped on a select grade today when I got the AIM email, anxious to see what I get!  Never had a 32 acp before, not anxious to add another caliber to the reloading setup, so we shall see.  It might join my .380 Makerov, and only see factory ammo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I jumped on a select grade today when I got the AIM email, anxious to see what I get!  Never had a 32 acp before, not anxious to add another caliber to the reloading setup, so we shall see.  It might join my .380 Makerov, and only see factory ammo.
View Quote
AIM will do ya right.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I know for a fact it works well on feral cats, and no it is not me shooting cats with it. My neighbor down the road.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I got one too.

So...anyone got a line on where to get some more mags?
View Quote
I purchased mine from DK Firearms and bought a hand select, very nice, mag looks brand new.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I purchased mine from DK Firearms and bought a hand select, very nice, mag looks brand new.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got one too.

So...anyone got a line on where to get some more mags?
Thanks---I sent them an e-mail asking about extra mags.

We'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#45]
I purchased one of the 81BB models from AIM. I hope magazines show up in large numbers some day soon.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Here is my 81 from Classic. I paid the extra for hand select. I am glad I did.
I did notice that mine has white lettering then most of the others I have seen. Must be a newer one?
Other then the scratched grips it is in really great condition I think.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Mine came in from Classic today.  No rust so I am happy.  I did not pay for hand pick so I am not disappointed.  There is some light surface freckling from rust on the slide sides but most of that cleaned up with some 0000 steel wool.  Frame has almost zero scratches.  Internals look unfired.  Interestingly, it is missing the import mark on the trigger guard.  No import mark at all.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#49]
That's about what mine from DK looked like, grips were bad but actually was better than AIM. My order from AIM was not hand pick and DK was, but if you took the grips off
both the DK was better. Instead of steel wool you should try copper wool, does less damage to the bluing, someone on this board told me about it a year or so ago
and that's all I use now, helps with light speckled surface rust and very little bluing loss.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#50]
I picked up my hand select from classic today and was pleasantly surprised. Hardly any wear except on the sharp edges and no rust or pitting at all. The magazine looked brand new. I guess it's just a crap shoot with them.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top