Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My dream Beretta:

1. Start with M9a1
2. Change grips to the thin alumagrips and swap to oversized mag release
3. Change to steel trigger treated several times with my favorite dry lube to get it feeling extra smooth
4. Swap barrel and slide to black M9a3 barrel and slide
5. Send to Wilson for an action tune and any fitting if necessary with the goal to get the trigger feeling like an M9a3 trigger or better

I’m currently stalled at step 4. Have the barrel, still waiting for black M9a3 slides to become available. I may eventually break down and get an extra a3 to be a parts horse but don’t want to spend that much just for a slide.
View Quote
I would do the LTT trigger job instead of the WC action tune.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:32:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dream Beretta:

1. Start with M9a1
2. Change grips to the thin alumagrips and swap to oversized mag release
3. Change to steel trigger treated several times with my favorite dry lube to get it feeling extra smooth
4. Swap barrel and slide to black M9a3 barrel and slide
5. Send to Wilson for an action tune and any fitting if necessary with the goal to get the trigger feeling like an M9a3 trigger or better

I’m currently stalled at step 4. Have the barrel, still waiting for black M9a3 slides to become available. I may eventually break down and get an extra a3 to be a parts horse but don’t want to spend that much just for a slide.
Thanks for the recommendation. Any specific reasons why? I haven't had any work done before by either and am totally open to opinions.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:51:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks for the recommendation. Any specific reasons why? I haven't had any work done before by either and am totally open to opinions.
View Quote
I have pistols with both.

I think the LTT feels better.

The LTT includes the Wilson Combat trigger bar, the Wilson Combat Action Tune doesn't (but you could pay extra for it) and it lets you more reliably ignite primers in DA mode with lighter hammer springs.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:11:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like mine

Compact frame for easier aiwb carry
Vertec slide with front night sight and Wilson rear u notch
D spring
G levers
Wilson thin grips
Wilson oversized mag release
Trigger job I did 4.5lb crisp SA and 8lb smooth DA

Think that's it
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/KIMG0981_JPG-757194.JPG
View Quote
So how do you like carrying a compact AIWB? What kind of holster are you using?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:24:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like mine

Compact frame for easier aiwb carry
Vertec slide with front night sight and Wilson rear u notch
D spring
G levers
Wilson thin grips
Wilson oversized mag release
Trigger job I did 4.5lb crisp SA and 8lb smooth DA

Think that's it
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/KIMG0981_JPG-757194.JPG
JmcustomAttachment Attached File

Depending on which gun I want to carry I have choices
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Jmcustomhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/KIMG0694_JPG-766063.JPG
View Quote
Nice looks like JM Custom holsters always seemed to be used, I’m looking at getting a M9A1/92FS compact for carry who did you go to get the front night sight installed?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice looks like JM Custom holsters always seemed to be used, I’m looking at getting a M9A1/92FS compact for carry who did you go to get the front night sight installed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jmcustomhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/KIMG0694_JPG-766063.JPG
The slide is a vertec slide.

I do have a gold bead I installed on the compact though. I might have another holster made for the compact. The holster was made for a m9A3 and the extra length from the threaded barrel does make it a little long.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I do have a gold bead I installed on the compact though. I might have another holster made for the compact. The holster was made for a m9A3 and the extra length from the threaded barrel does make it a little long.
View Quote
So you have a gold bead with a Wilson Combat U notch?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes
View Quote
For some reason I never really thought about that on a carry pistol.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a few dozen 92/96 series Berettas.

From off the shelf FS, G, D models,
Compact, Centurion, and full sized.
Vertecs, classic full grip and straight dust cover, scalloped grip and slanted dust cover, and my favorite scalloped grip and straight dust cover, Brigs, Inox, etc.

My least favorite variant is the 90-two.
My second least favorite is the 92A1.

My fanciest is an EL.

Specifically regarding the the more comp/tactical oriented guns,
I have an Elite, Elite II, M9A3, Brig Tac, and LT.

I actual find the LT to be the best off the shelf quality of that bunch.

The Brig Tac is not optimized for comp, and has some design elements based on some subjective preferences more than optimizing for any one niche.
The LT comes with the best off the shelf trigger, and with either optimal Production sights or excellent duty sights.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes
Yeah, I prefer tritium but there's not a lot of options to install it. Doing the gold bead myself was easy but it's a tiny bit off center. The bead is a tiny bit wider than the front sight post too. Not ideal but it is really easy to pick up if there is just a tiny bit of light.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I have had similar issues with sights.

A beat pair of 92G LE trade ins became my USPSA Production and spare after replacing the dead front Lume inserts with FO.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I understand where you're coming from on the Brigadier slide.  Man, it is one sexy bitch.

I think sight selection favors the Vertec/M9A3 slide at this point in time though.

I've been eyeing some of these new 92 Brigadiers that were just released.  Along with a user selling some M9A1s for cheap (what's strange is they are the 3-mag "LE" item number, but with 10 rounders instead.  LE 10rd mag package?) on GB I'm really thinking about buying two of each and swapping the uppers/lowers and making two feaux 92G-SDs since I was never able to score one.
View Quote
I hear you there on the faux 92G-SDs. While I generally prefer 4.7" barrels on my Berettas, there is something about the Brigadier slide that makes it look good with the 4.9".  Here's a picture just for giggles. Wish holsters weren't so difficult to come by.

Installed a Wilson green FO sight and the G kit. Wearing some novelty grips until I can figure out which way I want to go in that department.  No idea what I want to do with the other Beretta yet.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I hear you there on the faux 92G-SDs. While I generally prefer 4.7" barrels on my Berettas, there is something about the Brigadier slide that makes it look good with the 4.9".  Here's a picture just for giggles. Wish holsters weren't so difficult to come by.
https://i.postimg.cc/GpvQtsZH/berettas.jpg

Installed a Wilson green FO sight and the G kit. Wearing some novelty grips until I can figure out which way I want to go in that department.  No idea what I want to do with the other Beretta yet.
View Quote
Well I went ahead and did it.

M9A1s

Attachment Attached File

Plus two of the recent 92FS Brigadier releases

Attachment Attached File

And now I have two 92G-SD clones.  I just need to add G-kits (yeah, they won't be "true Gs" like a real one) and night sights and replace the plastic parts.  Also in my favor the barrels will be chrome lined which I prefer to the blackened stainless barrel a real 92G-SD would have

Attachment Attached File

I had planned on just selling the leftovers (with full disclosure) but I came across something interesting.  First off, I hate the angled dustcover.  Let's just get that out of the way.

Well, color me surprised when the frames on the 92FS Brigadiers I received did NOT have the angled dustcover but also did not have the radius under the beavertail.  I wonder if they had a bunch of completed M9 frames they were sitting on and had to put to use?

Extras

Attachment Attached File

I'll probably keep both now....use one as a high round count, go everywhere beater and maybe use the other as a project gun.  I've admired the nickel 84 FS from time to time and thought about what a cool "BBQ gun" a 92 would be with an EN finish.  Maybe something along those lines.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well I went ahead and did it.

M9A1s

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/M9A1s_before_jpg-769693.JPG

Plus two of the recent 92FS Brigadier releases

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/Brigadiers_Before_jpg-769694.JPG

And now I have two 92G-SD clones.  I just need to add G-kits (yeah, they won't be "true Gs" like a real one) and night sights and replace the plastic parts.  Also in my favor the barrels will be chrome lined which I prefer to the blackened stainless barrel a real 92G-SD would have

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/Complete_jpg-769695.JPG

I had planned on just selling the leftovers (with full disclosure) but I came across something interesting.  First off, I hate the angled dustcover.  Let's just get that out of the way.

Well, color me surprised when the frames on the 92FS Brigadiers I received did NOT have the angled dustcover but also did not have the radius under the beavertail.  I wonder if they had a bunch of completed M9 frames they were sitting on and had to put to use?

Extras

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/92FS_after_jpg-769701.JPG

I'll probably keep both now....use one as a high round count, go everywhere beater and maybe use the other as a project gun.  I've admired the nickel 84 FS from time to time and thought about what a cool "BBQ gun" a 92 would be with an EN finish.  Maybe something along those lines.
View Quote
There's a whole lot of win in this post. Love the 92G-SD clones.  I agree with you on the straight over angled frames being preferable. I also suspect you're right about a surplus of M9 frames on the 92FS Brigadiers. Heck of a bonus. Hopefully enough to counter the annoyance of the QC issues of this batch.  I was very tempted to pick up one of the M9A1s you mentioned on GB to have a second frame to build up, but have just too many concurrent projects going on to justify it.  I need to start prioritizing them and selling off the projects lowest on the pole.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There's a whole lot of win in this post. Love the 92G-SD clones.  I agree with you on the straight over angled frames being preferable. I also suspect you're right about a surplus of M9 frames on the 92FS Brigadiers. Heck of a bonus. Hopefully enough to counter the annoyance of the QC issues of this batch.  I was very tempted to pick up one of the M9A1s you mentioned on GB to have a second frame to build up, but have just too many concurrent projects going on to justify it.  I need to start prioritizing them and selling off the projects lowest on the pole.
View Quote
I just checked, the lady selling the cheap M9A1s ended the listing even though she had 3 left.  I got them for 530 each, the only issue was they came with 3 x 10rd mags which didn't cause me to blink because I have plenty of mags.

As far as QA QC issues go one of the M9A1s had no staking on the extractor pin.

All 4 of these "donor guns" had a terrible finish (machining, not the Bruniton) on the outside of the barrel, like they were finished by hand by an amateur with flat spots and all.  3 of them are particularly ugly.  The sad thing is otherwise they were pretty damn good:  excellent blend of slide/frame at the rear, barrels centered in slide opening, etc.  I picked up a few extra barrels during the 30% off sale, they are made in Italy.  I'm thinking about having them cut to 4.66" with an Elite Crown to put in my spare Elite LTT and Brigadier Tactical since I put M9A3 barrels in the others.  I tend to prefer the classic "extended barrel" look to the flush look and like to keep everything suppressor ready but I think I'll get two set-up more for holster carry.

Anyhow, putting those new, Italian made barrels alongside these you'd think anyone at Beretta USA looking at the comparison would be fucking ashamed.  My guess is that they probably profiled many barrels with some worn tooling and they turned up with chatter and grooves so an enterprising employee though it would be a good idea to "blend them" by hand when really they just made it worse.

At the end of the day it is just cosmetics, but damn.  Show some fucking pride in your work.

I put the pics in another thread if you want to check them out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I just checked, the lady selling the cheap M9A1s ended the listing even though she had 3 left.  I got them for 530 each, the only issue was they came with 3 x 10rd mags which didn't cause me to blink because I have plenty of mags.

As far as QA QC issues go one of the M9A1s had no staking on the extractor pin.

All 4 of these "donor guns" had a terrible finish (machining, not the Bruniton) on the outside of the barrel, like they were finished by hand by an amateur with flat spots and all.  3 of them are particularly ugly.  The sad thing is otherwise they were pretty damn good:  excellent blend of slide/frame at the rear, barrels centered in slide opening, etc.  I picked up a few extra barrels during the 30% off sale, they are made in Italy.  I'm thinking about having them cut to 4.66" with an Elite Crown to put in my spare Elite LTT and Brigadier Tactical since I put M9A3 barrels in the others.  I tend to prefer the classic "extended barrel" look to the flush look and like to keep everything suppressor ready but I think I'll get two set-up more for holster carry.

Anyhow, putting those new, Italian made barrels alongside these you'd think anyone at Beretta USA looking at the comparison would be fucking ashamed.  My guess is that they probably profiled many barrels with some worn tooling and they turned up with chatter and grooves so an enterprising employee though it would be a good idea to "blend them" by hand when really they just made it worse.

At the end of the day it is just cosmetics, but damn.  Show some fucking pride in your work.

I put the pics in another thread if you want to check them out.
View Quote
I took a look at them. It's very disappointing, but I'm glad that overall the pistols are sound. I wish that they could get their act together at the new location before their reputation becomes too soured. Almost feels like the start of the Taurus road.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I took a look at them. It's very disappointing, but I'm glad that overall the pistols are sound. I wish that they could get their act together at the new location before their reputation becomes too soured. Almost feels like the start of the Taurus road.
View Quote
Believe me, with lighting, angle, etc and a phone as a camera they look far worse in person.

Not that I expect it to go anywhere but when I get in touch with CS about the unstaked slide I'm going to send a mega-email about the cosmetics too.  I know their policy is not to do anything about them and I'm not asking them too.  I'm just going to firmly but politely state my opinion and how I hope for THEIR SAKE they can get it under control and pronto.  I wish I could talk to their production manager or take a look around though and see just WTF is going on.  You're right--this is hurting the brand.

Over the years I'm pretty accustomed to a new Beretta having a little mark here or there on the Bruniton, kind of like a Colt.  I think it is the result of the military oriented assembly line with parts in bins and whatnot.  Sometimes you get perfect ones and the Italian made guns I've had have always been flawless.  However, those little marks aside I always thought for the money, 460-600 (M9 commercial, 92FS, M9A1, 92A1) they had incredibly consistent out of the box quality at that pricepoint.  I've had 1911s costing 3x as much with a worse slide/frame blend at the rear or dustcover.  Same for P226/P229s.  But Berettas were usually so good in that area and a few others, typically a tight slide/frame fit too.  I've had 1100 dollar Colts that were loose as hell.  This move to TN I initially applauded---I wish all gun makers would abandon states that hate them.  But man, this has been a disaster.

I wish I had the opportunity to "see before buying" but my only option is to buy online and I guess seeing as I have 7 Gallatin guns now I have still been relatively lucky compared to what else I've seen.

There is one local store with Berettas, but nothing I was looking for.  Interestingly their stock is all Italian made products:  Black M9A3 (I already have 2), 92FS Compact, no rail, angled dustcover, and 92FS with of course the angled dustcover.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Needs a dual shoulder holster
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Needs a dual shoulder holster
View Quote
Haha, I only built two because 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

New Brigadiers don't show up too often either so I did 2 while I could.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#22]
AR25 does not F around.

Well done.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 11:01:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I have an older Beretta 92fs (1991 mfg) and a Langdon LTT.  I picked up the 92fs used for a very good price (about $275) with the intent of doing a lot of work on my own.  That is still a work in progress, but as I worked on it and researched, I bit the bullet and got an LTT with a Langdon trigger job.  The 92fs is now hugely improved over the stock gun, but still comes short of the LTT.  I haven't shot the Wilson guns, but I've compared the feel and the trigger pulls of a Wilson Brigadier and Centurion.  The LTT was superior to both.  The Wilsons were a little better than my 92fs.  The Brigadier won't fit in holsters for the M9A1, M9A3 or Vertec, so your options are much reduced.  You can look up all the specs on the LTT, so I won't go into that, but here's what I've done to the 92fs.  I originally bought the 92fs because I wanted an example of the US service pistol for the last 30 years and I figured I could do some internal upgrades to make it more shootable while still retaining the M9 appearance.  Interestingly, it has the straight frame contour, not the angled one and the sights have the dot over bar configuration of the M9, not the 92fs 3-dot sights.  So it really is an M9 with 92fs markings.  At least it was.  So, to begin.

Standard Beretta 92fs
-Langdon trigger-job-in-a-bag, 13lb hammer spring.  While waiting for the spring, I tried a 1911 hammer spring out of my parts box.  I don't know what the weight was, but it was considerably shorter than a stock spring.  Trigger pull was fantastic, but I had a couple of light primer strikes.  Per research, the 1911 spring is supposed to work just fine, so I might have had a reduced spring weight on my example.  Anyway, the misfires were unacceptable.  I had considered getting the D spring, but it is supposed to be about 16lbs IIRC.  The 13lb spring is considered to be the lightest suitable for a duty type gun vs. competition or range.
-In anticipation of a plastic trigger and recoil spring guide, I ordered a Wilson steel recoil spring guide and a short steel trigger.  Turns out I didn't need either since both parts were steel (older gun).  And the short trigger was too short for my taste.
-Wilson ultrathin grips, dirty-olive color.  I always liked the look of the olive green and I wanted the thinner grips to reduce the circumference of the grip.  They did that and I have zero complaints.  They look good and feel better.
-Beretta factory G conversion kit.  I highly recommend this video as a tutorial on how to disassemble the fs safety and install the G conversion.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw21jjWZHZo  .  
-Wilson extended magazine release.  It makes it much easier to change magazines and I've had zero issues with ejecting a magazine unintentionally.  It doesn't stick out far enough to activate by accident.

I was almost satisfied with that, and the next two items weren't necessary.  New sights on the 92fs (or M9) are not very practical except for replacement of the rear sight.  You can get the front sight drilled for tritium, but it's expensive.  Wilson will drill and install fiber optic for not a huge cost.  I had searched around for a Vertec slide at a good price and couldn't find anyone selling a used one.  OpticsPlanet listed them new, but over several months it never changed from out of stock.  So on a whim and taking advantage of the 20% off sale they were having, I ordered one.  Lo and behold, I got an email two days later advising me it had shipped.  I've installed a G conversion in that slide as well.  Some time next year, I'll get the Ameriglo Spartan night sights.

This is a cosmetic issue only, but I don't like the look of the 4.9" barrel extending beyond the slide.  The shorter 4.7" just looks a lot better, and since both Wilson and Langdon choose to use 4.7" barrels, I guess they do to.  Anyway, while browsing ebay for Beretta parts, I ran across an ad for a Beretta Border Marshall 4.7" barrel.  So I got it.  Cost wise, it would have been cheaper to have sent the 4.9" barrel to Allegheny Arms and had them shorten and crown it.  But in the end, I now have a complete "original" 92fs/M9 upper and what I call my working gun.  I practice more with this one because its trigger isn't quite as good as the LTT.  Any improvement I achieve on it is that much better when I shoot the LTT.  When I get the tritium sights on it, it will be quasi suitable for use at night, though I'll have to use a handheld light.  The LTT with an M9a1 frame doesn't need the tritium since I have an Olight PL-2 Valkyrie on it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Already built it.

M9A1 frame, Brigadier slide, TLR-1, Wilson battle sights, G conversion, oversize mag release, LT TJIAB. Wilson grips right now, will probably get some nice wood grips later on, or maybe SE2 grips and a stainless barrel.

Still trying to find a low-ride leather holster that fits the gun with the light... About to call a few places to see if I can get something custom made.

If Beretta was smart, they would partner with Capcom and take advantage of the new Resident Evil 2 Remake by doing a run of "Samurai Edge" pistols. M9 or M9A1 frame, Inox barrel, Brigadier slide, G-conversion, Langdon TJIAB, Wilson sights, the STARS/RPD/Kendo logo engraving, and DS Grips "SE2" (DS made the grips used in the Resident Evil movies, too. Very accurate to the video games)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top