Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2017 10:11:57 PM EDT
My Dad is getting old and never shoots any more and brought over all his guns.  One of the reason is he lives with my Grandma and she's 95 and starting to throw stuff out at will.  He's afraid she was going to throw away or get rid of some guns.  

Anyways....  In those guns was a barely ever used M9.  He and I both got one around the same time.  Mine is beat compared to his.  But my DA pull is much smoother.  And I was thinking of throwing in the better mainspring for this.  But I forget what it's called and where I get one.  

I might as well get 2 and see if it lightens mine up any more than it is already.  I replaced the mainspring once already with a standard one and I guess I didn't really need to do that.  I SHOULD probably replace the trigger return spring on mine because I'm getting close to 4k rounds through it.  Is that hard to do?  I have one already.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=iz96ygdj5000zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Fhandgun-parts%2Ftrigger-group-parts%2Fhammer-parts%2Fhammer-springs%2Fhammer-spring-d-version-sku913100493-27930-58423.aspx

Here's a couple of good videos showing complete disassembly and reassembly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTc_wb5YaU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mza4o8VOj9M&t=3s
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:09:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Wilson Combat 12# chrome silicon is what you seek
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#4]
D spring is what I use. Smooth 8lb DA and a crisp 4.5 SA
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea the D spring is what you're looking for. I've heard it also reduces SA. I put this is on one of my Berettas. It may have helped a tad, but wondering if it's worth the trouble, if it could increase the likelihood of light strikes, etc. JMO but I wouldn't put it in any kind of carry/self defense gun. (I have many beretta 92 platforms so I was like what the hell.)
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wilson Combat 12# chrome silicon is what you seek
View Quote

I'm pretty sure the D-spring equivalent is the 16# Wilson Combat spring, Wilson says the 12, 13, and 14# springs are for competition use only. OEM Beretta spring is 20#.  I would get the 16# Chrome Silicon spring if I was replacing mine, I did replace my trigger return spring with Wilson's Chrome Silicon spring.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Hammer-Spring-Chrome-Silicon-16-Beretta-92_96/productinfo/721CS-16/

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Trigger-Return-Spring-Chrome-Silicon-Beretta-90-Series/productinfo/750/
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It may have helped a tad, but wondering if it's worth the trouble, if it could increase the likelihood of light strikes, etc. JMO but I wouldn't put it in any kind of carry/self defense gun. (I have many beretta 92 platforms so I was like what the hell.)
View Quote

The D spring is a factory Beretta spring for the 92D (DAO). It is perfectly reliable.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#8]
D spring it is.  Anyone know what the weight of it is, for the sake of education?  

It's my understanding that we can trust the D spring because as M4A1 said, it's a factory spring they put in DAO guns........   I guess I could try it it my Dad's and see if it's much lighter than my worn in stock one.

Thanks for the vids and links guys.  I'm going to see if my LGS has them there today.  They carry Berettas.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
D spring it is.  Anyone know what the weight of it is, for the sake of education?  

It's my understanding that we can trust the D spring because as M4A1 said, it's a factory spring they put in DAO guns........   I guess I could try it it my Dad's and see if it's much lighter than my worn in stock one.

Thanks for the vids and links guys.  I'm going to see if my LGS has them there today.  They carry Berettas.
View Quote

They also come stock in the M9A3. You can use a heavier recoil spring (14-16lb) as well, if you don't shoot light, underpowered ammo, but it's not necessary. I used a 16lb recoil spring with a D hammer spring in my 92A1 and didn't have any issues, except shooting suppressed. I'd pop the stock recoil spring back in for shooting with a suppressor.

Factory 92 spring weights
Recoil spring:
92fs: 13lbs
92c: 14lbs

Hammer spring:
92fs: 20lbs
92d: 18lbs
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#10]
My LGS claims brownells is the only ones allowed to sell beretta parts.  So I guess I'll order them up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My LGS claims brownells is the only ones allowed to sell beretta parts.  So I guess I'll order them up.
View Quote

Brownells has the most complete selection of factory parts but there are others who sell factory and aftermarket Beretta parts. BerettaUSA.com also sells some parts and kits.

http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/store/gun-accessories/accessories-for-handguns/kits-and-parts/

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Beretta-92_96/products/465/
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well they're wrong
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure the D-spring equivalent is the 16# Wilson Combat spring, Wilson says the 12, 13, and 14# springs are for competition use only. OEM Beretta spring is 20#.  I would get the 16# Chrome Silicon spring if I was replacing mine, I did replace my trigger return spring with Wilson's Chrome Silicon spring.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Hammer-Spring-Chrome-Silicon-16-Beretta-92_96/productinfo/721CS-16/

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Trigger-Return-Spring-Chrome-Silicon-Beretta-90-Series/productinfo/750/
View Quote

"On two of my compacts, I initially replaced the F spring with a D and then changed to the Wilson 12 lb spring. To me, it smoothed out and lightened the DA pull. I'm sure it lightened the SA pull too, but I didn't notice it as much. "  From Ernest Langdon's thread on pistol-forum
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well they're wrong
View Quote

Dontcha just love em?  
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Beretta FACTORY "D" (Double Action) Hammer Spring.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I ordered them today, but then wonder about if the recoil spring is different on the DAO guns...........  Or the M9A3.  Do they use the normal 13#er?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:05:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Wilson #16 and D spring should be the same weight so order whichever one is cheaper and/or available.

The #12,13,14 springs are made for competition guns UNLESS you get the redesigned trigger bar (included in action tune kit). The redesigned bar changes the geometry of the hammer arc to prevent light strikes with the lighter springs. Ive put 1000+ rounds thru my dads beretta and a couple hundred thru my mine without skipping a beat.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I ordered them today, but then wonder about if the recoil spring is different on the DAO guns...........  Or the M9A3.  Do they use the normal 13#er?
View Quote
From what I understand Beretta uses the 13lb recoil spring for all the full sizes 92's.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#19]
The 92FS/M9 uses a 20 pound hammer spring from factory. The D(double action only) spring is 16 pounds. It is for their variant that is double only. I have used the D and Wilson combat 14 with no problems. Would not be concerned with 12 as easy to change out but have only indirect experience with 12. Buy 12,14 and 16 to play with as it still will be a personal preference on trigger feel and ammo you like. The 16 and 14 will ignite all brass cased I use both foreign and domestic. The cheapest two changes you can make that really pay off is a Hammer spring and grips. All other parts are great and fun to have but 90 percent of improvement for non competitive shooter. Just my experience anyway.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The 92FS/M9 uses a 20 pound hammer spring from factory. The D(double action only) spring is 16 pounds. It is for their variant that is double only. I have used the D and Wilson combat 14 with no problems. Would not be concerned with 12 as easy to change out but have only indirect experience with 12. Buy 12,14 and 16 to play with as it still will be a personal preference on trigger feel and ammo you like. The 16 and 14 will ignite all brass cased I use both foreign and domestic. The cheapest two changes you can make that really pay off is a Hammer spring and grips. All other parts are great and fun to have but 90 percent of improvement for non competitive shooter. Just my experience anyway.
View Quote

I actually like the stock grips.  They aren't slippery and the gun usually stays put for me.  Of course a 92/M9 is a soft shooting gun anyways.

You didn't really cover if the recoil spring should be different.  Meaning should it be bumped up fro he Factory 13# when you drop the hammer spring 4 pounds from 20 to 14 with the D spring.  

I do know that I have 2 M9's.  Ones mine and one is my Dad's.  My Dad's is practically brand new.  He barely ever shot it.  He's getting old and he's not overly into pistols.  But anyways, my M9 with 4K rounds through it, the DA pull  is a lot lighter.  And I even put a new mainspring in at one time.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I think the D spring is 18lbs and no you don't need to change your recoil spring. The 92D  comes from the factory with a D hammer spring and standard 13 lb recoil spring. My M9A3 also feels like the standard 13 lb spring.

You can match the recoil spring to the type of loads you normally shoot. I usually shoot Speer or S&B, both hotter loads, so I use a 16lb recoil spring in my 92A1 and 92fs compact (14 lbs is standard for the compact). I use the standard spring in my M9A3 since it's usually shot with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Your factory recoil spring works fine with the hammer spring weights mentioned. In fact all other springs will work fine. Recoil springs are again a personal matter for the user. A heavier one can reduce recoil and muscle flip. I have only replaced with factory weight due to age and round count of my weapon but experimenting with other springs is again cheap, easy and can be fun. Please bear in mind this weapon in military use shoots what we would designate as a + P 124 gr. FMJ.Glad you like the factory grips as I agree they are functional. I personally like VZ but again a personal preference. Most shooters I deal with using 92FS prefer to switch them out to one of the many fine brands on the market. Again I am referring to a weapon for the non competitive shooter trying to get most bang for their buck.You can go to Wilson Combat and find many upgrades-short throw trigger, over size mag release,and so on. These I feel a great to have( an I do) but again the hammer spring and grips will make the biggest difference cheap and easy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I typically just shoot standard pressure.  I just don't feel the need for +p.   My typical carry gun is a G26 and I've never even tried +p through it.  In fact I think I've only ever put one box of black hills red 124+p through my M9.  Which you can tell the difference but again, in that gun it's not bad.  

I'm too cheap to buy new, expensive grips for every pistol I get.  I probably would like something better, but it's not high on my priority list that doesn't have a lot of extra money anyways.....   I probably won't buy anything wilson combat for my M9.  I like how the safety makes the one side smaller but I don't like how it sticks out on the other side.  Although I guess it's not much different than having a safety on that side.  

Actually, I kind of like the standard safety because when I'm gripping the gun, if the stock safety is down, my thumb can almost feel it where I normally grip.  Just a tiny bit of movement in and oh, I feel the safety and flick it up.  I'm a little concerned with the wilson safety that it's too low profile and if I ever do accidentally engage it, I won't ever know until I'm starting to pull the trigger.  No good.  

Yeah, I wish it was a G model.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Respect your reasoning based on finances. The best spent money is on ammo that you practice with not most gun mods. I have seen stock guns in hands of practiced shooter outshoot the tac cool shooters many times. Many of these local range shooters don't actually shoot that much. I try to shoot a least once a week using the best priced brass cased ammo I can find-not special high dollar stuff.I am a average shooter that shoots enough to get to be familiar my weapons.   The D spring is available from Brownells for 5.95-will make double action in particular far better. Also take all posts like mine with a grain of salt and do your own additional research. I seldom post as have too often end of dealing with people I am sure are just repeating what they read NOT actual hands on experience. Go put some wear on that fine weapon!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Respect your reasoning based on finances. The best spent money is on ammo that you practice with not most gun mods. I have seen stock guns in hands of practiced shooter outshoot the tac cool shooters many times. Many of these local range shooters don't actually shoot that much. I try to shoot a least once a week using the best priced brass cased ammo I can find-not special high dollar stuff.I am a average shooter that shoots enough to get to be familiar my weapons.   The D spring is available from Brownells for 5.95-will make double action in particular far better. Also take all posts like mine with a grain of salt and do your own additional research. I seldom post as have too often end of dealing with people I am sure are just repeating what they read NOT actual hands on experience. Go put some wear on that fine weapon!!
View Quote

I work at a range and besides one other rso my Glocks, Berettas, and Springfield loaded will out shoot Ed Browns, and Nighthawks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top