Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2002 2:40:29 PM EDT
Subtle, but there. The dust cover now is angled toward the muzzle and the rear of the grip is contoured in farther...ala CZ. I like the new grip, the dust cover isn't as traditional but I can live with it. The new "warning" on the dust cover has changed too..."retract slide" & "gun can fire with magazine removed", I guess is just more lawyer proofing. Still a neat gun, not even fired yet, by me. I just cant put it down. (the bonding process)
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#1]
When did they make these changes? I bought a new SS 92 about a month and a half ago, and there aren't any such warnings. All it says is "Warning: read manual for safe use free from beretta USA ackk, MD" on the right side of the frame. Of course, who knows how long it sat on the dealer's shelf for. Call me a dumbass if you want, but what's a dust cover
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Besides pointing it out, I was curious why and when myself. It is much more noticable when I place my slightly earlier blue 92 next to it. Must have been recent. It came with the cable lock too...(Made in China) Mace, hopefully we are above name calling just because of an unknown name of a part. It is an ongoing learning process of which I am part of too. Ever hear the saying..."the only dumb question is the one you dont ask"? And how does yours shoot? Mine had 3 red dot sights...HAD. I put white in the rear dots and day-glo red in the front sight. Seems to give me a better sight picture...more contrast on that SS front sight.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#4]
My 92FS is about nine months old and has the warning "Read thgee manual before use, retract slide to see if loaded. Fires without magazine"

Read the manual - sure, it's only a pistol. They do have the loaded chamber indicator which lifts a tiny bit allowing you to check the chamber in the dark. Fires without a magazine but with a finger on the trigger right?

The shape is very CZ like.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Just an expression on the question - I wouldn't be hanging around here if people got called names for not knowing the name of some part of a pistol. Anyways, it shoots... about as well as I do. I've been having problems with "pushing" the gun forwards right before firing, like anticipating recoil - I only have 200 rounds through it. Hopefully, I'll shoot a little straighter after I'm through with that pack of 1000. I do get pretty tight groups, however. Oddly enough, I had some jamming problems (slide not cycling fully) on the first trip to the range with range ammo, but they disappeared on the second trip with Ammoman NATO suplus ammo. I have the sights that came on it - 3 red dots, though the rear sight is black, while the front sight blade is stainless like the rest of the gun. Upon close inspection, the dustcover does appear to be slightly angled towards the muzzle. Came with a cable lock, which makes a nice emergency bike lock. It's way to flimsy to prevent a criminal from using it, IMHO.

Hey, I wonder if  I can put a warning on the front of the slide, something like "Get out of here, punk!"
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Range ammo... unknown type and amount of powder, usually downloaded to save money and keep from blowing up with brass that has been well used. Not the guns fault, as you found out. Please avoid gunshow reloads, hopefully, you know that too. My SS 92 shot right on with 115 grainers, left a bit with 123s and low with lead reloads, all in the ten ring, however. We should send all our unused gunlocks to Sarah or something.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe that Beretta made the frame changes 2 or 3 years ago.  My 92FS that I bought in the fall of 2000 has the changes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#8]
The range ammo where I shoot was actually PMC in sealed boxes. I doubt that they were reloads unless they go to the trouble of collectiing boxes in good condition along with the plastic holders and only reloading the same brand cases, then resealing the boxes like new. Strange...
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#9]
It should have worked out of the box with PMC or just about anything else. One range I used to go to sold white boxed reloads, mixed brass and even they worked. Now that the recoil spring "set" a bit, it may be fine with PMC or something cheaper to practice with? If you reload, the Nato stuff has crimped primer pockets...raises heck with my Dillon press.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Share the love!
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 5:09:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Thats it Paul. Can see the changes...the back strap I like, the dust cover angle probably holsters even better, huh? (sharing the love)
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey Paul, yours looks exactly like mine.

As for the ammo, I fired it for the first time with the PMC. My best theroy is that possiply the ammo was a bit on the weak side, and the recoil spring needed to be broken in a bit to function with it. The moral of the story, I suppose, is that any autopistol, no matter how nice or expensive, can jam on bad ammo, so you must test it before you defend yourself with it.

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I've only been using one of those plastic holsters on this babe - otherwise it sits in a leather organizer next to my computer.

With any semi-automatic pistol (or rifle) I run a couple of hundred rounds though the thing after a good cleaning and inspection. Any jams in the first couple of hundred are forgiven as break-in and smoothing. After that period I'll throw science at any weapon that jams and then run another several hundred round test on the thing before it makes its way back to my "A" list.

Oddly I've never had a single revolver or bolt action rifle fail so they're all over the "A" listing. My 92FS is on the "A" list BTY.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top