Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2003 5:34:48 PM EDT
After a month of research, classes and perusing, I was all set to go out and get my Beretta 92FS Brigadier Inox this week.

Then I had the opportunity to shoot a Sig 226 this morning, and my plans have been shot to hell -- as were the bulleyes of the targets I was using. I had previously shot a Sig in a .40, but didn't care for it. Later I learned, after several other .40 pistols, it wasn't the gun, it was the caliber. So trying the 9mm Sig for the first time was a revelation: much more comfortable in my hands, less recoil (buttery smooth), better balance and better accuracy. By all accounts of the few folks I've spoken to thus far, it's also easier to clean and has a better construct and reliability.

So now I'm looking a little under $100 extra (Brigadier Inox, $649 --- 226, $749, maybe $729) for a pistol in a black matte vs. that beautiful Inox finish of the Beretta...but that's something that, while I'd like to have the Inox, I'd rather have the pistol that shoots and feels better. Looks are one thing, but functionality would seem the priority, however. (Unless someone knows the average retail on the new P226SL (stainless)...?)

So can any current or former Sig owners give me an idea of whether that extra $100 is worth it...and specifically why? At $749, I'm a little out of my comfort zone on price, but on the other hand, if the increase more than justifies it, then so be it. Any comparing/contrasting would be greatly appreciated --

Oh, and that bar and dot sighting of the Sig...as efficient and accurate as the three-dot (as per the Beretta) that I've gotten somewhat used to on the range?

Also, do I understand correctly that there is no external safety on this model? I believe that it has as decocker/firing-pin movement, but no additional external safety (again, as per the Beretta's). I know it shouldn't, but as a newbie, I must admit that makes me a bit nervous...though I suppose the decocker combined with the DA first-shot action minimizes that.

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice/feedback.

Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a sig P226 and all I can say is that I love it. I bought mine as a used police trade in with night sites and two high caps for 350 at the local gun shop about a year ago. The gun functioned as new and only had holster wear. If you can find a police trade in, I would recomend that you get it. The guns don't have many rounds through it and only have slight wear on the slides from the holster but are practically new guns.

You are right about the Sig not having an external saftey. I have not had a problem with not having one as when it needs to be fired from decocked posistion it requires a deliberate pull of the trigger for the gun to go off. All shots after that wouldn't matter as you already know what you're shooting at.

The military has had problems with their M9's (beretta 92) in the desert and they have not been performing very well. I have had my sig in the dirt a few times and it goes without cleaning quite often.

I would say that the extra 100 bucks would buy you a far superior pistol and you will be very satisfied with the purchase. However, if you don't need a new gun, look at Sig trade ins. THey can be found on the net and at many dealers shops and the pistols are none the worse for the wear.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 3:50:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, two great handguns and you can't really go wrong with either. I like the 226 and have had great performance with mine since day one.

After market sights for the 226 are readily available and you can get just about any sight picture you want. Look around and find the ones that meet your need and upgrade to night sights at the same time.

I don't know where you are, but that price is on the higher end of what they normally sell for. Look around and I think you can do much better.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 3:56:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So trying the 9mm Sig for the first time was a revelation: much more comfortable in my hands, less recoil (buttery smooth), better balance and better accuracy.

Sounds like you have the answer to why its worth more than the $100 extra.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the undercut rear sight and bar-dot design are both superior to the typical three dot sights.

While the P226 doesn't have an *external* safety, there are numerous safety mechanisms built in (firing pin lock, etc.) and I think the lack of an external safety lever is a plus in a crisis situation, as all I have to do is aim and fire.

While the Beretta is a fine weapon, the SIG simply fits my hand better.  I've never looked back and will likely never get rid of my P226.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#6]
To me, the Beretta feels like an impact wrench.  Doesn't fit my hand right and I just don't care for it.  The 226 fits perfectly and points more naturally.  Plus I have found it to be reliable and extremely accurate.  I guess you can tell which I'd pick...

Shop around, you can do better than the price you mentioned.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I ended up going with a Sig P226 9mm, and am about halfway through the ordering/wait period...should have it in a few days.  I split the difference between the Sig's Nitron finish and the Inox (Beretta) finish and ordered a two-tone (black/stainless) and found it for about the price I was previously looking at for just the Nitron (see above) -- which was the best price I could find after comparison shopping half-a-dozen or more gunstores in my area.  For my first pistol purchase, I simply felt more comfortable with a brick-and-mortar shop than on-line (which can indeed often be cheaper).  But I'm satisfied with my purchase price -- and thrilled with my decision to go with a Sig.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 4:47:30 AM EDT
[#8]
You won't regret it.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes the sig is worth $100.00 more ,but you don't have to pay that much try CDNN the have police trade ins for $399.99/$379.99 as said By others holster wear but perfect otherwise .I cant think of a better 9MM than the P226 if you must have a new one it is still worth the $100.00 dif go for it .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top