Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 8:10:12 PM EDT
Where can I get some 228 mags at a good price.I've only got one "hi-cap", but 4 10's.Any help wouldbe appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I got mine from TopGunSupply. The prices were good, the shipping was decent (flat rate) and the service was quick. Ordered on a sunday, received the mags wednesday. BTW the ones I got were the blued MecGar 15 round mags, they are flush fit and $18.95 each.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Don’t know what they’ve got in stock at the moment, but CDNN is also a good place to deal with:  www.cdnninvestments.com/
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Will a 226 mag feed in a 228? They will lock up and they are fairly cheap at a local Police supply because they got them in police trade-ins. If they do feed, I am going to buy several. Has anyone tried it?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Get Mecgar 15s.  They are great and cheaper than the Sig marked 13s (that are often made by Mecgar anyway).  They go between $15-20 ea at gun shows and online.  I think CDNN has them for $19 right now.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:34:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Will a 226 mag feed in a 228? They will lock up and they are fairly cheap at a local Police supply because they got them in police trade-ins. If they do feed, I am going to buy several. Has anyone tried it?

Yes – obviously they stick out the grip a bit.

I personally don’t care much for them in a P228 since you lose the flush floorplate and my little finger seems to constantly slide down off the frame.

Still, in a pinch and if the price is right, they definitely will work.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:05:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Get Mecgar 15s.  They are great and cheaper than the Sig marked 13s (that are often made by Mecgar anyway).  They go between $15-20 ea at gun shows and online.  I think CDNN has them for $19 right now.

+1 Mec-Gars are the way to go..
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes – obviously they stick out the grip a bit.

I personally don’t care much for them in a P228 since you lose the flush floorplate and my little finger seems to constantly slide down off the frame.

Still, in a pinch and if the price is right, they definitely will work.

At $10.00 apiece, I think I will buy several. I have some Sig 228 mags, but these will be a nice addition.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
... At $10.00 apiece, I think I will buy several. I have some Sig 228 mags, but these will be a nice addition.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Two points, though:

First, the old zipper style mags (with the jagged, spot welded seam down the middle of the back), will sometimes crack at the very top weld (basically directly behind the primer of the top round).

This crack is hard to see in an unloaded mag, but is obvious in a loaded mag since the rounds push the mag top apart.  Check for a crack in an empty mag by inserting your thumb between the mag lips and then twisting to try to force the lips apart – this will make the crack much more visible.

You can sometimes feel the crack in an empty mag by simply rubbing your thumb along the top, back of the mag and feeling a sharp edge where the weld gave way.  However, the surface is a bit irregular there anyway from the weld, so this is a bit tricky.

Having a magnifying glass will also help seeing these cracks.

That said, the cracked mags I’ve seen still work just fine.  But I definitely wouldn’t want to regularly carry one in a CCW piece.

Second, the older SIG mags had fairly weak springs to begin with.  And they get even weaker with use.  At some point you may find you need to replace the springs.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#9]
That's good info to know.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#10]
 Thanks I placed an order with Top Gun. today.Got 2 15rnd Mec-Gar mags on the way,they even shiped them today also.TGS staff was very friendly I will be doing more buiesness with them in the future. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Are the P228 Nickel Mec-Gars a polished reflective finish or are they more a matte finish?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#12]
The nickle mecgars are very shiny, not matte at all.  All it takes is ordering from Tom once, and you will be hooked, he's got a great business going.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the thread and the info.  I feel I must add 2 15 round mags to my collection after you bastards ramble on about how well made they are and the great customer service.    This site costs me way too much money...  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#14]
E-mail Greg Cote at [email protected].  He's known on the SigForum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top