Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 12:19:24 PM EDT
Hello everyone, I'm thinking about getting the parts to be able to convert my .40 P229 to 9mm. I was under the impression that all I need is a 9mm magazine and 9mm barrel. Is this the case?

Anything I should be aware of or look out for? Also references for dealers would be appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about 9MM. If you have a 40, why would you ever want a 9mm? You can however get a barrel that converts it to a 357 SIG. Now that would make sense. You just need the P229 357 sig barrel. Same magazies are used.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#2]
You will need an aftermarket barrel to go from .40 S&W to 9mm. EFK Firedragon and Barsto make them. The recoil spring you have now should work just fine. The P228 magazines are also the P229 9mm magazines.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#3]
As already mentioned, an after-market barrel and a 9MM mag should do it.

However, I notice Brownells sells both P229 40/.357 recoil springs and P229 9MM recoils springs – so apparently there is a difference.  You might also need to get a 9MM spring, esp. if you plan on shooting milder 9MM ammo in your P229.

Note that the P229 .40 mag is fatter near the bottom than the P229 9MM mag (which is the same as the P228 9MM mag).  The 9MM mag will definately work in your pistol, but the fit will be a little sloppy.

Note also that the .40 P229 has a slightly wider breachface than the 9MM P229, though apparently this isn’t a major issue.

Thus, while I think a converted P229 would be a nice plinking/training pistol, IMHO it really shouldn’t be trusted as a self –defense handgun.

When ordering a 9MM barrel, make sure it’s for a .40 P229, not a 9MM P229.  It’s easy to mistakenly order the wrong one since both are available.

IIRC, a few weeks ago a couple of members posted sources for conversion barrels in a different thread (either here or maybe in General Handgun Discussions).  If you go back a few pages you might be able to find it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:50:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I have both factory 40 S&W and 357 Sig barrels for my P229.  I lucked out and found a used 9mm Barsto  barrel.   For plinking, I  use  the 40/357  10rd mags.  I can fit 12 rounds of 9mm in them. I've been using these mags and never had any jams.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top