Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I was beginning to wonder what happened to you. Welcome back.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 1:59:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was beginning to wonder what happened to you. Welcome back.
View Quote
I’m definitely still here, progress has just stalled out for a bit due to some medical issues. I’ll be back to it soon though!
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#3]
When are you gonna pick one of these up? Brownells has them in stock. I ordered one, got it in, and found out at the range that my mags don't work with it.

Link Posted: 6/28/2019 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When are you gonna pick one of these up? Brownells has them in stock. I ordered one, got it in, and found out at the range that my mags don't work with it.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/g/r/grip-modx-ca-943-m-wht-final.jpg
View Quote
Update your baseplates?

If you don't dye them, they won't be white for long.  I kept having to clean the ones I was photographing.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/g/r/grip-modx-ca-943-m-wht-final.jpg
View Quote
If I’m not mistaken that’s just a white version of the X-Carry grip module? I still have the X-Carry grip module that came on RS320B. What issue are you having with magazine fitment? I’ll try to help diagnose
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#6]
@slowmethinks - The first thing that comes to mind is making sure you’re not using magazines with the old gen base pads, as detailed in this video (jump to the 5:30 minute mark);

https://youtu.be/iEQr3hlCRBk
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@slowmethinks - The first thing that comes to mind is making sure you’re not using magazines with the old gen base pads, as detailed in this video (jump to the 5:30 minute mark);

https://youtu.be/iEQr3hlCRBk
View Quote
Yes. But I have a Dremel. That solved the issue. If you use a small drum sander, you can sand down the sides to a bevel. They worked at my 2gun match today. But yeah, I have gen1 mags.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes. But I have a Dremel. That solved the issue. If you use a small drum sander, you can sand down the sides to a bevel. They worked at my 2gun match today. But yeah, I have gen1 mags.
View Quote
Excellent, glad you got them working!
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 7:55:48 AM EDT
[#9]
@Rudukai13 - Have you seen the Legion X5 grip module? It's got tungsten powder impregnated in the polymer, and weighs the same as a steel grip module would.

While I'm sticking with a different platform, my experiences have mirrored yours, and things you've written here have inspired me, and many others- I am sure.

Does the idea of a full-size, heavy-weight gun to compliment your Nemesis (Nemisii) builds interest you? I go back and forth with myself if I'd want to do down that path, the temptation is considerable.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 1:04:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@Rudukai13 - Have you seen the Legion X5 grip module? It's got tungsten powder impregnated in the polymer, and weighs the same as a steel grip module would.

While I'm sticking with a different platform, my experiences have mirrored yours, and things you've written here have inspired me, and many others- I am sure.

Does the idea of a full-size, heavy-weight gun to compliment your Nemesis (Nemisii) builds interest you? I go back and forth with myself if I'd want to do down that path, the temptation is considerable.
View Quote
The next build on my list will be in the Fullsize category, but it won’t involve the tungsten-infused Legion grip module. For my plans I need a frame made out of a true metal - be it aluminum or steel. There are still some things that polymer and plastic just aren’t robust enough for
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 4:44:41 AM EDT
[#11]
A weapon to surpass metal gear.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure if anyone is still following this thread but to those who might be - My apologies for the lack of updates recently, I have been and continue to be dealing with some medical issues with my back that have kept me fairly bedridden/wheelchair-bound for the last couple of months and unfortunately right now all spare funds (save for a custom knife project) are going towards medical costs.

I certainly haven’t given up on finishing out the RS320B build and there are additional builds on my project list for the P320 platform beyond that. Progress and updates will continue once I’m back on my feet and able to allocate funds again
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#13]
@Rudukai13 Now that you have had it a while, it the Romeo1 still on the first battery?

@slowmethinks  Can you post a photo of your Dremel job?  I am thinking about trying out one of those grip frames.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not sure if anyone is still following this thread but to those who might be - My apologies for the lack of updates recently, I have been and continue to be dealing with some medical issues with my back that have kept me fairly bedridden/wheelchair-bound for the last couple of months and unfortunately right now all spare funds (save for a custom knife project) are going towards medical costs.

I certainly haven’t given up on finishing out the RS320B build and there are additional builds on my project list for the P320 platform beyond that. Progress and updates will continue once I’m back on my feet and able to allocate funds again
View Quote
Sorry to hear. I hope you get better. This has given me an insight of what can be done with the 320.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 2:25:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@Rudukai13 Now that you have had it a while, it the Romeo1 still on the first battery?
View Quote
The R1 that came installed on RS320B and the replacement R1 that is now on RS320A are both on their first batteries, yes. And neither has been turned off since I got them, they just sit in sleep mode in my safe/on my nightstand but the dot is always there as soon as the gun is picked up.

I will say the first R1 that came installed on RS320A (the one that started having issues and got replaced) would go through a battery about every few months. That was one of the earliest gen R1 models though, and I think the later generation examples have better electronics/programming that extend the battery life to a much greater degree
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 2:27:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sorry to hear. I hope you get better. This has given me an insight of what can be done with the 320.
View Quote
Thank you sir. I’m doing everything I can to focus on recovery right now. I’ve still got plenty of tricks up my sleeve for the platform once I’m able to get back at it!
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm definitely curious about an aluminum, FCU-attached optic mount (to build an Open gun). Have you thought about that, versus drilling/tapping the grip?
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The R1 that came installed on RS320B and the replacement R1 that is now on RS320A are both on their first batteries, yes. And neither has been turned off since I got them, they just sit in sleep mode in my safe/on my nightstand but the dot is always there as soon as the gun is picked up.

I will say the first R1 that came installed on RS320A (the one that started having issues and got replaced) would go through a battery about every few months. That was one of the earliest gen R1 models though, and I think the later generation examples have better electronics/programming that extend the battery life to a much greater degree
View Quote
Sounds right.  My R1 was eating batteries.  I sent it to Sig and they send me a brand new one, no charge.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm definitely curious about an aluminum, FCU-attached optic mount (to build an Open gun). Have you thought about that, versus drilling/tapping the grip?
View Quote
It’s certainly possible. It would be similar to the SJC mounts for Glocks and M&Ps;

You’d have to sort out where on the FCU you could attach the mount to. What I do like about that style of mount as opposed to the Carver Customs/ALG style mounts is it leaves the stock accessory rail available for running a WML. Whether you’re mounting it to the grip module or the FCU though there would be some drilling and tapping to be done. Either option would work for what I have in mind for my next build, just depends on what kind of parts find their way to market first
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#20]

This third P320 has been sitting dormant in the back of my safe for a while now, but I get the feeling that stagnation is coming to an end very shortly...The EVO320 is coming soon
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 12:45:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I've built 4 Glock based Roland style guns... 2 get solid EDC use (G19 Roland and G43 Rolandito), 1 is a range gun and 1 is my experimental platform.

I've come to appreciate the P320 over the past year or so as a pistol and am eyeing a PMM style 'comp in grip module' type build for my next pistol.
My first P320 was a pre-'recall' Carry that I dropped an Apex flat trigger in... that trigger alone with the stock FCU is a better trigger than my massaged Glocks for break, reset is a bit lacking but not bad.  Thinking about sending it back for the upgrade, also thinking about just hanging onto it as a range gun as the Apex trigger alone seems to solve the 'Ooooooooppppsss! Fuck!' issue.

I've got a P226-RX that has the Romeo-1 vs RMR's on my Glocks... been eyeing the shroud.  It appears a worthy upgrade for durability... agree OP?

I'm kinda waiting for Sig to drop a 10mm version of the 320 before I build another comp-carry, or an after market 10mm option... but I'm also eyeing the P320 X-Compact as a EDC gun with a comp, light and optics....

Dang you indecision and "oooooooohhhhh Shiny!!!!" instincts.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#22]
If you’re using the R1 equipped pistol for anything other than strictly competition shooting, I’d suggest getting the shroud. It’s relatively inexpensive, adds negligible weight, doesn’t noticeably obstruct your sight picture, and is cheap insurance against accidental bumps and drops for an optic that would cost at least a few hundred dollars to replace if an accidental drop damaged it
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I ended up seeing a 229RX at a shoot that had the shroud on it.  It really seemed to take the optic from range toy to rugged enough for EDC.
I honestly think that Sig should have included the shroud from the factory, if they aim to compete with Trijicon and the RMR they need to be durable.

I accidentally ordered a pair of shrouds, so my 226RX now has a shroud on it as Amazon was nice enough to have it in my hands in under 7 hours. .  Zero didn't really need to be adjusted... only a click down and it was gtg.

I guess that means I need to get an RX slide for my 229, or go ahead and build a Roland style 320 likely cloning that PMM slide/comp in frame style.  I'm guessing in the long run I'll probably end up doing both... guess I should have ordered three shrouds.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#24]
They were including the shrouds on the RX guns before they hit the R2 switchover point.  The new ones coming back out with the Romeo1PRO will have the shroud.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#25]

With the first of two essential components ordered, the EVO320 project has officially begun
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:15:00 AM EDT
[#26]
According to USPS tracking the item from Atlas will be arriving by Friday...I hate waiting on parts to ship but I’m very excited to find out if my idea is going to work!
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Got my Tacops barrel in today.
Shipping notice from PMM as well...
Now I just need to get that X5 frame ordered and figure out if I’m cutting my current slide, or getting a 2nd slide to cut.

Luckily, no rush.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Got my Tacops barrel in today.
Shipping notice from PMM as well...
Now I just need to get that X5 frame ordered and figure out if I’m cutting my current slide, or getting a 2nd slide to cut.

Luckily, no rush.
View Quote
Awesome, keep us updated! If you haven’t yet purchased the X-Series grip module, I’d highly suggest going with the tungsten version of the X-Five grip. That extra weight combined with a comp will make an extremely flat shooting setup
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I love it when a plan comes together

The Atlas Gunworks 2011 optic mount fits on the P320 frame like it was made for it. Including with enough clearance to still allow mounting of a WML;

Of course, the polymer grip module isn’t substantial enough on its own to secure the mount to. But a soon-to-be-available aluminum grip module will be more than secure...The EVO320 is a go!
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Nice. You should mount that to a polymer grip anyways and see what happens. Maybe you can slightly recess and epoxy a few nuts to clear the RSA and such.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 3:30:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nice. You should mount that to a polymer grip anyways and see what happens. Maybe you can slightly recess and epoxy a few nuts to clear the RSA and such.
View Quote
It’s possible you could use a thin metal shim on the inside of the polymer grip module to anchor the mount more solidly. I’m saving my funds for the forthcoming metal grip module though - It’ll be the most robust mounting solution and I want the extra weight of metal compared to the polymer
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#32]

The camera on the iPhone 11 Pro is very nice...
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Awesome, keep us updated! If you haven’t yet purchased the X-Series grip module, I’d highly suggest going with the tungsten version of the X-Five grip. That extra weight combined with a comp will make an extremely flat shooting setup
View Quote
I think I'll likely end up with both.

My aim is for a AIWB carry setup... so I'm guessing I'll end up with a X-Series compact grip as well.

The more I shoot the P320, the more I like it.... I'll never be totally over metal frames, hammers and wood grips... but the P320 is certainly making me feel better about carrying a new-fangled gun.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:57:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think I'll likely end up with both.

My aim is for a AIWB carry setup... so I'm guessing I'll end up with a X-Series compact grip as well.

The more I shoot the P320, the more I like it.... I'll never be totally over metal frames, hammers and wood grips... but the P320 is certainly making me feel better about carrying a new-fangled gun.
View Quote
The beautiful thing about the P320 platform is you can change it from a Fullsize duty/HD/competition sized pistol to a CCW Compact with just a 30 second grip module swap. It really made my building process easier to be able to experiment with different grip sizes and shapes until I found a setup that felt and worked the best for my purposes. It’s really one of the best features about the platform for those of us who like to tinker and customize without spending a bunch of money on things we end up not using
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#35]
While I’m waiting on certain other necessary components for the EVO320 project to come to market (and saving up funds for them), I figured I’d both organize my thoughts and explain a bit about the purpose of the project and what I’m hoping to accomplish with the end result.

First and foremost, while a frame-mounted pistol optic system will still generally immediately conjure up images of a designated USPSA Open division competition-only pistol, I want to be very clear that this build is NOT intended primarily for competition use: It is my intent to use this project to illustrate a leap further towards applying the advantages of certain traditionally competition-exclusive features and philosophies to a handgun primarily intended to be used for duty, home defense, and yes, even concealed carry. It’s my belief that the robustness and capabilities of certain models and manufacturers of miniature RDS technology has surpassed the risk/benefit threshold that would otherwise make the loss of BUIS on a handgun an untenable proposition. It is readily apparent to me that I’m not alone in the industry in making this assessment, with several manufacturers having recently introduced various duty-oriented handguns that also rely solely on non-reciprocating optical sighting systems. Many of us have already been comfortable living with and depending on RDS-only duty and defensive rifles for many years now, and I believe the capabilities of certain handgun optics have reached a similar point of reliability. My thoughts on specifically which model(s) of RDS that thinking applies to will be further explained as the components are purchased and the build progresses.

I have gone back and forth a bit on how closely I wanted the EVO320 to utilize the same components as the RS320 project, and have settled on maintaining as much mechanical consistency as possible within the limitations of the differences necessary to make the transition from slide-mounted optics to frame-mounted optics. Therefore and perhaps disappointing to some, I plan to use the same Bar-Sto barrel, Springer compensator, Surefire X300U, and Apex trigger kit in the EVO320 project that have already proven themselves through the pair of RS320 builds. This is not to say I am of the opinion that only these specific components are of high enough quality to be applied to the P320 platform - aftermarket support for the P320 has expanded rapidly in recent years and there are many high-quality products from other manufacturers which are more than worthy of consideration. This is of course very much a matter of personal preference, but I’ve come to the conclusion that my desire to exemplify an evolutionary step beyond the current RDS handgun format is bolstered by maintaining some extent of consistency between the two final platforms. Simply stated, the EVO320 is meant to signify the next evolution of Roland Special/RS320-type duty guns (hence the EVO moniker).

Hopefully this gives a bit more insight into my thoughts, plans, and intentions behind this new endeavor. As always if anyone has any questions or thoughts, always feel free to post here or send me a message and I’ll gladly explain further to the best of my ability. Hopefully those of you still following this thread will appreciate what I’m attempting to illustrate by undertaking this new build, and hopefully the finished product that’s already been meticulously constructed, torn apart, redesigned, re-constructed, and detailed down to the last nut and bolt dozens of times over in my mind will be of as much interest to you as it has been to me over the several years of waiting for it to become a possible reality.

This is a project I’ve wanted to do for a very, very long time, and I can’t wait to document it all here for all of you!
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 3:24:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Relevant (and highly encouraging) to the EVO320 project;

Link Posted: 11/4/2019 2:52:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Hereby declaring my official petition to change the phrase “Fall back” to “Extra hour of dryfire practice day”

I really need to get the Apex trigger kit installed in RS320B, it is so much better than the stock X-Series trigger and it would mean the RS320B build was officially complete...

Link Posted: 11/13/2019 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Obligatory EDC/pocket dump pic. Thank god for cargo pants.

RS320A is my daily carry as it was always intended to be. I will say though, if the EVO320 project works out as I hope it will, I will likely be transitioning to it as my designated EDC. If what I have in mind pans out, it’ll be no more challenging/difficult to carry concealed than the RS320 platform but with a few keys advantages that make it a better platform overall
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#39]

And here...we...go
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#40]
No waiting the usual “4-6 weeks estimated delivery time” OpticsPlanet limbo, just got shipping notification on the next essential component for the EVO320!
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#41]
The 508T installs on the Atlas mount with a reassuring “click” down onto the recoil bosses, very well made interface by Atlas Gunworks.

The circle-dot reticle is bright, crisp, and the auto-adjust system works very well.

Initial impressions leave me very impressed with Holosun. The EVO320 inches closer to operational...

Link Posted: 11/24/2019 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#42]
That looks like it could be neat... seems like it would put a large bulk inside the holster if meant for carry.

I ended up with a factory threaded barrel via CDNN for cheap and a PMM comp for my build.  The pair were under 200$ to my door.

I should get photos of my home built version of the Parker Carry-comp... it's huge compared to my G19 Roland, but it carries just fine for winter use.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That looks like it could be neat... seems like it would put a large bulk inside the holster if meant for carry.
View Quote
It will take up about the same overall volume as a similarly equipped slide-mounted RDS when all is said and done, just with the bulk of the optic shifted further forward in relation to the rest of the pistol. But yes it will require some special clearance work for holster selection. Not to worry though, I have a plan for that
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Well I can’t say I’m not a bit disappointed;

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5Y2ppppnAQ/?igshid=rwc9304ojk4d

The company about to release aluminum P320 grip modules missed all the other features I was hoping they would include other than it being made out of aluminum. Split the difference between Fullsize and Compact with a Carry size, no magwell compatibility, no rough grip texturing. It’ll still work for the EVO320 build as it’ll be solid enough to attach the optic mount to, but I will be looking to replace it at the first available opportunity whenever a better option comes to market.

Damn it I had high hopes for this thing...
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 4:41:33 AM EDT
[#45]
CORRECTION; I may have spoken too soon, further info and pictures posted to Icarus Precision’s Instagram feed appear to indicate compatibility with the X-Five magwell. So there’s that at least.

Still, with the full-length grip it’ll be too large at least for me to CCW. So until they come out with a Compact version the EVO320 will be relegated to nightstand and range duty
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Happy Thanksgiving from Project Nemesis! I’m thankful for everyone who has followed along on this journey up to this point, and am looking forward to much more to come. May you all eat until your CCW holsters become uncomfortable!

Link Posted: 12/8/2019 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#47]

The only thing better than Sunday night dryfire practice is dryfire practice while watching Tom Brady eat it for the second week in a row
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Getting re-acquainted with the X-Carry grip module ergonomics in preparation for the Icarus Precision ACE320 aluminum grip module. I definitely like the standard Compact grip module with a Springer Precision ESP magwell for a CCW gun, but Sig certainly didn’t get very much wrong with the X-Series grip modules
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 2:03:59 PM EDT
[#49]
And with the recent announcement of Phlster’s OWB version of their stellar Floodlight holster, I do believe I will now have a quality set of AIWB/OWB holsters to properly contain the EVO320 when it’s finished;

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/shop/floodlight-owb/

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/shop/floodlight/

They’ll both need a bit of dremel modification to properly clearance the optic mount, but should still provide adequate retention for my purposes. More pieces falling into place...
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
https://content.invisioncic.com/r270761/monthly_2019_12/8D06F24E-6531-46CA-94DA-875C0673A714.jpeg.6b373df1fce8f91bf42d9ac84f53e0cc.jpeg

Getting re-acquainted with the X-Carry grip module ergonomics in preparation for the Icarus Precision ACE320 aluminum grip module. I definitely like the standard Compact grip module with a Springer Precision ESP magwell for a CCW gun, but Sig certainly didn't get very much wrong with the X-Series grip modules
View Quote
If somebody would take the X Compact grip module tweaks and scale that to the Carry and Full with a G10 insert or wrap-a-round, then I'd be interested in an aluminum version.  The X-Carry Small grip module has been a good fix, for me.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top