Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2003 3:43:32 PM EDT
Well I know I am going to get a grip reduction, just not sure what company I am going to use. Robar, Arizona Response....any suggestions? Also I have been thinking of getting an extended barrel (6"). Do they feed properly, what brands, etc? Also has anyone used the extended ported barrel? Reduce recoil? How's the muzzle flash? Just a few questions:)
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Before you get a grip reduction I suggest you examine your grip. If you have smaller hands and are using a weaver grip with your thumbs crossed it will limit what pistols you can comfortably shoot. I recommend a thumbs forward modern iscolese grip. You be able to shoot much wider grips, and it really does a lot to manage felt recoil. If on the other hand your a 1911 guy a grip reductio may make sense to make a glock point more like a 1911. Custom Arms does the best grip reductions I've seen, but they are not cheap.

For aftermarket barrels I like Barsto, KKM, and Jarvis. Stay away from federal, they are junk. A longer barrel will give you more velocity, and I've heard some Glock 20 guys go with them for handgun hunting. A match barrel will have a tighter chamber and will be more ammo sensitive. The glock barrel with it's partially unsuported chamber and will feed just about anything. To be honest the match barrels do not offer much accuracy over the glock barrel.

As far as compensated or ported barrels I do not really recommend them. First they do not reduce recoil. They just change the way the gun recoils. Instead of the gun flipping up, it comes more strait back at you. This allows you to keep the sights on target when you rapid fire. If all you do is slow fire then it won't offer a advantage. Second the ported barrels (barrel with holes drilled in it) are not as effective as the compensated barrels. A compensated barrel has baffles that let the gasses expand, then angles the way it is deflected. The only good compensated barrel I've seen is by Tom Novak using a briley barrel and custom 4 port comp, and again they are not cheap. Third to take advantage of a compensator/porting you really need to reload your own ammo. Factory ammo generally uses fast burning powder. it does not produce enough gas to power the comp. You need to reload your own ammo with slow buring powder. This way you have plenty of gas for the porting. You'll also want to use a light bullet and push it with lots of powder. It's a science in itself to work up a good load for a compensated gun.

If your goal is to shoot better and control recoil the best thing you can do is go with a modern iscolese thumbs forward grip. It also doesn't cost you any money.

If your looking to throw money at the gun to reduce felt recoil then heavy guide rods and aftermarket recoil springs help some. You want weight eveywhere on the gun except parts that move. So that means everywhere but the slide and trigger. Unfortunately there are no heavy mag wells for the 10,, and .45 glocks. You can add a seatle slug plug though.

A good trigger job and good sights are the best monetary improvments you can make to your glock. Get some Dawson fiber optic sights, and a polished 3.5# connector, reduced power striker spring, and glockmeister competition trigger spring and your set to go. Only other parts I recommend but that are not nessasry are a seattle slug plug, tungsen guide rod, and a 15# recoil spring.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Modern isosceles grip used in IPSC/USPSA competition. It really helps control muzzle flip when rapid firing, but generally helps control felt recoil.

Get a good high grip on the gun. With your web of your hand all the way up. Hold your thumb away so you can place your support hand.

"Tuck and roll". Tuck your support hand under the trigger guard and roll it into your strong hand.

With your support hand get a good high grip with as much palm as possible on the grip.

A word about grip pressure. Your strong hand does not use very much pressure at all. I describe it as a soft handshake. Just enough pressure so you don't weird someone out with a limp wussy handshake. Not a manly firm handshake grip pressure. Your support hand is actually used to grip the gun. You can see in the pic I don't even need to use my strong hand to retain the gun. With your support hand, use a firm grip.

Lastly point both thumbs forward. Thumb of support hand goes on the frame; the strong hand thumb goes on the web of your support hand, or also on the frame.

When you shoot feet shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent, bent slightly at the waist, lean forward, gun held directly out in front of you in an isosceles stance/grip. The "modern" version has you with both elbows slightly bent. Bring the gun in a little, whatever feels comfortable. You don't need a crush grip, or to push pull with your hands (like in a weaver grip). Just imagine the gun floating in front of you, no stress to hold or point the gun. Focus on front sight, and squeeze.

For drills I recommend that you hold the gun one handed at the low ready, finger off the trigger. The go into your two handed modern isco grip while bringing the gun up and double tap. Work with a target at point blank range, slowly it out to 10-15 yards when you can keep everything no larger than fist sized groups.

Another aspect of shooting well is learning the trigger reset. This is the point the trigger has to travel forward before you can fire the next shot. You do not have to release the trigger the full lenght. Learning to shoot from the reset will let you shoot more accurately (less trigger movement), shoot faster, or both. To learn the trigger reset do your standard dry fire practice, but at the end hold the trigger back without releasing it. Then rack the slide with trigger held back. Slowly release the trigger just to the point it resets, or clicks. Then dry fire again. Repeat it until you develop the muscle memory of where the trigger resets. Try to aniticpate just how far you have to release when your practice. Once you get this down you'll immediately see it's benifits.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Well the biggest problem I have noticed with my glock is the palm swell (hump) on the back. I have held and shot a HK 45, which is very much like the glock (I think). The grip is perfect for my hands and much like the augmented Glocks (removing the hump) I have seen. That is basically what I am looking for, though HK doesn't put out a 10mm.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah one of thing things I never cared much on the glock is that hump on the backstrap. It kind of reminds me of the berretta. Anyway I do think it is the reason why glocks are more grip sensitive. After some practice I got used to it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top