Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:35:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Good grief, some of you folks are recommending some of the worst ammo out there and praising it as if it were the greatest thing since sliced bread! I don't mean to come off as a _____-head, but some of you should go to www.tacticalforums.com and spend a great deal of time reading posts in the "Terminal Effects" forum. It might do you some good or perhaps even save your life someday.

Hydra-Shok...does poorly against clothing as it clogs and fails to expand. Not a good choice.

Black Talon....good in bare gel but also is prone to clogging and not expanding after passing through clothing. The Ranger that replaced it is much better.

Aguila IQ.....avoid. Period.

Corbon....lots of hype but when compared to today's best loads, it just doesn't seem to be up to be so hot.

Now, to get to some actually good loads....

-Winchester Ranger 147 gr JHP
-Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+
-Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P
-Speer 147 gr Gold Dot
-Remington 147 gr Golden Saber

Please, do some actual research before repeating garbage uttered by folks such as Marshall and Sanow or Massad Ayoob. Instead, get information from professional ballistic researchers who actually have a clue about what they are doing. Again, Dr. Martin Fackler and Dr. Gary Roberts is a good place to start. Also, www.firearmstactical.com has reliable information. The guys at those websites often depend on their ammo to keep them alive and they have no agenda like certain authors of books and gun magazines. And they also have the know-how to test it and get good scientific data from those tests.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Winchester Ranger is extremely easy to get in any quantity. Just go to places like Gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com. Or, just try a google search for RA9TA.

www.ammolab.com has an extensive section on 9mm hollow point test results. Combine such tests with real-world results from PD shootings (the previously mentioned terminal effects forum often has these) and you can get an idea of what is best for you.

Personally, I like a high-velocity load that will penetrate 12-14" and expand to around 1.75 times its original diameter.

The Winchester Ranger 127+p+ is reported to be a great round.

Another round that is often overlooked is the Federal 9BPLE. This is a 115gr HP at around 1300fps. It isn't fancy like some, but if has a very feed-reliable bullet profile. For finicky pistols like my old Browning Hi Power this is a good option.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#3]
In my Glock 23 (.40), I carry 165 grain Gold Dot. In my Glock 20 (10 mm), I carry either 175 grain Winchester Silvertips or 165 Grain Corbon JHP.

In 9mm (Beretta 92FS and Springfield XD9), I use Corbon 115 grain +P.  I've used them for a long time and they're reliable. I'm trying to get as much energy on target as I can. Once I deplete my stock, I may switch to the more economical Gold Dot.

IMHO, to answer your question...I chose the 165 grain Gold Dots because they seem to be just as good as Corbon and cheaper which means I actually practice a lot with the ammo I would use in my time of need.  I use Gold Dots in some of my "non-Glocks" too. I try to stay away from heavier bullets in my forty. Regarding the Glock 20, I get fully powered loads with Winchester and Corbon. Corbon and Winchester is readily available for the 10mm.  I do a whole lot more practicing with the Silvertips, though.

I use a Galco SAII IWB holster for my G23.  It's more concealable than my Bladetech because the belt fastener is offset, making it less bulky.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry Hydra Shoks in everything I carry.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried the Golden Sabers in my Ruger P95 9mm I had. They had to be the worst ammo I've  ever come across. Scratched the shit out of my barrel, shot sparks out of the chamber and were really dirty. Just my .02

Ron
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Switched from cor-bon to 165gr. Gold Dot Hollow Point by pro-load.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I tried the Golden Sabers in my Ruger P95 9mm I had. They had to be the worst ammo I've  ever come across. Scratched the shit out of my barrel, shot sparks out of the chamber and were really dirty. Just my .02

Ron

I would hope your barrel is harder than any bullet jacket. But then again it is a Ruger.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#8]
230 gr. Federal Hydra Shoks for my G21, 150 gr. Cor-Bons for my G23.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 11:55:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry wolf 230 grain in my Glock 36 and my Kimber.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top