Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2003 8:24:18 PM EDT
   I recently shot the Glock models 21, 22 and got six rounds through a 27 before the trigger spring broke (all rented at local range)though I am looking to buy a 29 or 30.  I am a fairly small guy with small hands, what is the best for recoil and control?  I looked at some other posts with a guy having problems with a 29, what does it take to control them well enough to shoot it?  Would the model 29 or 30 be good for a beginner like myself?  Thanks for any help on this.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
For a beginner a full size gun would be easier to shoot. The longer sight radius makes it easier to shoot accurately. The larger mass helps to reduce felt recoil.

The small sub compact glocks while very good for a gun of their size, are not easy for a beginner to learn on.

I'd get a full size glock in 9mm like the Glock 17. The ammo is faily inexpensive so you can afford to shoot more. The only thing that will make you a better shooter is trigger time.

.45 and 10mm ammo is quite a bit more. You can easily shoot twice or even three times as much if you had a 9mm, for the same money.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#2]
9mm all the way for newbies. 10.89 for 100rd at wallyworld. Houge grip and a 3.5 connecter and youll be set.

G-17 Large
G-19 Medium
G-26 Small

Check out the links above ^^^^
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, thanks for the info guys but I have another question.  I only have the $600 to spend now and won't have that kind of $$ again for a long time, I understand the 9mm ammo is cheaper but wouldn't it be better to get a gun I can practice with and then use as a carry?  I would much rather carry a .45 than a 9mm.  When I shot the 21 at the range I was really good with it.  I hate to contradict the experts but wouldn't it be better to get a carry weapon now since I will only have enough to buy one?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey get what you can shoot. If you shoot it well, that is all that matters.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:51:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hey get what you can shoot. If you shoot it well, that is all that matters.

What he said.

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:22:05 AM EDT
[#6]
No reason to buy a Glock 17 9mm if you want a Glock 21 to carry. The earlier posts were right though a begginer should have a full size, it will be easier to control and to shoot accuratly. It would be much better to carry a .22 that you can shoot straight than a .50 desert eagle that you cant handle. Also 9mm ammo is about the cheapest thing there is to shoot now adays. Also as far as a gun to carry is concerned a Glock 17 will hold more ammo, that is why so many police departments went with that caliber.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:24:16 AM EDT
[#7]
The G21 doesnt kick too hard.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#8]
So now that I have pretty much decided on a model, what is a good all around holster for a Glock 21 or 30?

Is the kydex good or would an old fashioned leather one be better?  Will mostly be used for hiking and concealed carry.  Any ideas or opinions?

Thanks for all previous help to.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Sidearmor.net iwb for concealed(kydex)they have all the glock models and many more, or smartcarry. fobus ankle holsters. do a yahoo search for: gun holsters. i like sidearmor kydex, they are molded to the firearm. they fit my g21 and 36 really well, and it is comfortable to wear inside the waistband. you can't see it even with a slightly loose fitting t shirt on. kydex doesn't seem to wear the finish to much. leather is nice, but it's a matter of choice as to which type you like. go to your local gunshop and try a few on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top