Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 9:49:48 AM EDT
Hello all,
I am looking at selling my ar-15 because I need the money and the rifle is a little impractical for my apt.   The glock 37 and 22 look like candidates for what I want.

I have two questions:

1) What should I look for on the gun as signs of excessive wear?  Is ~400 rounds going to cause much wear on one of these puppies?

2) I am only 20, turn 21 in Oct.  I know I can't show up to a FFL and get one, but as I understand it, Florida allows posession of handguns if you are under 21, just not purchasing of the gun or handgun ammo.  Is it indeed legal for me to do a FTF?  If I were to do a FFL, does having someone fill out the 4473 and sell me the glock qualify as a straw purchase?

Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#1]
At 400rds a pistol is just barely breaking in. Then at 1000rds it's starting to get broken in very nicely. I would prefer to buy one at 400-1000rds. Just look for rust and preassure cracks in the slide and frame. Make sure the firing pin isn't broken. The mags fall free. Mag lips and follower are not bent or cracked. Check the bore for pitting and rust. Make sure the trigger works and everything is functional etc..

At 20 you can posess one but you can't own one. You can shoot one at the range provided the owner is there. Anyone letting someone under 21 carry their pistol off is asking for some trouble. I actually don't let anyone borrow a firearm out of my sight. It's not worth the risk of them doing somthing stupid with it.

Yes it is a straw purchase to have someone buy it for you. Same as an ex-con having someone buy it for them. Either way you look at it, both scenarios whether ex-con or under 21; the intent is to get around the form because they, or you are not qualified to own a pistol. You and the purchaser would be accountable for this. A FTF would also not be legal.

To sum it up, wait until you turn 21. In the meantime, ask some friends to take you to the range and shoot their pistol. That will help you decide which one you like best.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#2]
double tap
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hello all,
I am looking at selling my ar-15 because I need the money and the rifle is a little impractical for my apt.   The glock 37 and 22 look like candidates for what I want.

I have two questions:

1) What should I look for on the gun as signs of excessive wear?  Is ~400 rounds going to cause much wear on one of these puppies?

2) I am only 20, turn 21 in Oct.  I know I can't show up to a FFL and get one, but as I understand it, Florida allows posession of handguns if you are under 21, just not purchasing of the gun or handgun ammo.  Is it indeed legal for me to do a FTF?  If I were to do a FFL, does having someone fill out the 4473 and sell me the glock qualify as a straw purchase?

Thanks for the input!

#1 - 400 isn't even a drop in the bucket for a Glock. Don't worry about that low of a round count.

#2 - I can't answer your question about being under 21. If you can't legally buy one then I would ASSume that would mean FTF as well. As for the 4473, one of the questions is 'are you purchasing this handgun for yourself' so I would again assume that if someone filled it out knowing full well the handgun was for you, that would be illegal as wel.

Just have your father purchase it for you and let you borrow it until you're 21. Then he can just give it to you

Check out packing.org for your local Florida laws.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#4]
there ar epoeple on here with over 150,000 rounds through a single Glock, dont worry abou tit very dependable weapons

good luck

ETA: also many states will allow a person under 21 to posses a pistol, but every state requires you to be 21 to purchase one, ALSO INTERESTING POINT, MOST STATES ALLOW A 18 YEAR OLD PERSON TO CARRY A LOADED CONCEALED PISTOL, BUT THAT SAME PERSON CANNOT BUY AMMO OR THE PISTOL
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
The guys on packing.org say it's ok.  Called local sheriff's office, some random deputy said I'm not supposed to have it, but I'm not sure that's really the case.  Any clear yes/no?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ALSO INTERESTING POINT, MOST STATES ALLOW A 18 YEAR OLD PERSON TO CARRY A LOADED CONCEALED PISTOL, BUT THAT SAME PERSON CANNOT BUY AMMO OR THE PISTOL

What states are those?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got a what is really a LNIB G19 and here's the kicker: previous owner says it has had about 1K rounds through it.  Dosen't feel like it to me.  Only the standard barrel wear tells the story.

Check your state laws about ownership of handguns at under 21.  

Here in Texas it's possible for a person to PRIVATELY sell you a handgun in a FTF, provided you are over 18 and over and a resident of Texas (having no criminal records goes without saying).  
As long as his intention for buying it in the first place was not to sell to another person, it should be good.  

I'm 19 and currently own a G19.  However when I was 18 I've had several Glocks pass though: G23, 2x G17, a previous G19, a G26.  As you can see, I finally setteled on another G19.  One of the sellers to me was a LEO, so it's okay in Texas.  Be sure to check your state laws.  

And it is true in some states they'll issue CHLs to persons 18 and over.  Not sure of the states off the top of my head, but I know there are some.  In addition, I believe that Texas has passed a new law that allows military personnel 18 and over to obtain CHLs.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Florida State Statute 790.17(2)(a) states "A person may not knowingly or willfully sell or transfer a firearm to a minor under 18 years of age, except that  a person may transfer ownership of a firearm to a minor with permission of the parent or guardian. "  

Florida State Statute 790.25(5) states" ...it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use."

So you can't buy a firearm, but with your parents permission, you can have ownership transferred.  And you can possess a firearm lawfully in Florida.

You can apply for a concealed carry permit at 21 and I encourage you to do so!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:17:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Florida State Statute 790.17(2)(a) states "A person may not knowingly or willfully sell or transfer a firearm to a minor under 18 years of age, except that  a person may transfer ownership of a firearm to a minor with permission of the parent or guardian. "  

Florida State Statute 790.25(5) states" ...it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use."

So you can't buy a firearm, but with your parents permission, you can have ownership transferred.  And you can possess a firearm lawfully in Florida.

You can apply for a concealed carry permit at 21 and I encourage you to do so!

Based on the information you yourself posted, there is nothing preventing him from buying the gun.  He is 20, not under 18.

For those of you saying you can't buy a handgun unless you are 21, you don't know what you are talking about.  That rule depends on the state you live in.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:37:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I just went through my ATF State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms 2005 26th Edition. Florida has quite a bit of laws that vary from county to county. I dind't see any statement of age restrictions of 21 on pistols. It only mentioned "firearms" as stated above and you must be 18 or older. That doesn't mean there isn't one. So I would check around on that issue. It would be suprising considering how strick Florida is on their laws.

You guys have a waiting period that varies 3-5 business days depending on what county are purchasing in.

Some counties require that you demonstrate proper handling of a pistol and pass a written exam. Some require regestration of the pistol (done by the dealer).

Palm Beach county FTF transfers are prohibited without a background check done by the seller through a dealer and has been approved. Penalty is $500 fine per offense and/or 60 days jail. Chapter 28. Weapons Article II. Firearms 28-23(b)

Dade County FTF is ok but it can't be on property that the public has access to. Probably has to be done at a residence.

Just some examples

So what county do you live in?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ALSO INTERESTING POINT, MOST STATES ALLOW A 18 YEAR OLD PERSON TO CARRY A LOADED CONCEALED PISTOL, BUT THAT SAME PERSON CANNOT BUY AMMO OR THE PISTOL

What states are those?

Texas for one. Perry just signed a bill allowing 18-20 year olds to get a CHL if you are a LEO/Mil. That's how I plan on getting mine and I'm 19. I do have to have one of my folks with me whenever I buy ammo for my Glock, however.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top