Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 1:31:16 PM EDT
I am going to get a G17 tommorow!!
I am jazzed about my first Glock. I will be sure to post pictures when I get it.

Another fine weapon to add to the arsenal!!

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
There will be no going back.  Congrats.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I am looking forward to it. I have a Springfield Mil-spec 1911 that is back at Springfield now due to problems with it jamming. I enjoy shooting it, but wanted something else to carry to the range to keep the mileage down on my other pistols.
I have heard some people say that it is not good to switch back and forth between several different weapons, but I have picked up several Glock's in the gunstore and I don't notice them feeling drastically different than my 1911 (Maybe it's just me)
I am used to shooting a revolver also, maybe that has something to do with it my tolerance to different grip angles, etc.
Anyway, I have been wanting another 9mm every since I sold my PT-92, so I can't wait to give the Glock a spin.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:57:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Congrats!

Be sure to post pictures and a range report!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Ohhh Yeah Baby!!!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ohhh Yeah Baby!!!

user.va.net/~danoakes/Guns%20and%20Stuff/Glock.JPG

you need some 33 round mags
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Very Nice!!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh that's purdy

Now, when are you getting a G19?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#9]
OK, took her out to the range today, and ran 200 rounds of Winchester white box through her. Overall, I was very pleased. I noticed 2 things...

1. I shot consistantly low and to the left. Notice, I said "I", because it was definately me and not the gun. Not one single shot hit to the right of my aim point, and only a couple of rounds actually hit where I was aiming. One of those was when I was squeezing the trigger and the gun suprised me when it went off. Since that shot was dead on, it tells me that I am jerking the trigger. Maybe I am just trying to get used to the longer trigger pull on the glock as opposed to my 1911 and my Ruger GP100. Which leads to problem #2

2. The little trigger safety hurt the hell out of my trigger finger! After the first 3 or 4 shots, it felt like I was getting bad trigger slap. I still have a red spot on the bottom side of my trigger finger, and it is right where it contacts the little safety lever. Maybe this is related to problem number one, maybe not. I don't notice any rough spots or burrs on the trigger or trigger guard. Maybe someone can offer me some ideas.

Over all, I was very pleased. The gun was fun to shoot, and had very little recoil. Even though it is a 9mm, I expected the recoil to be light because I am used to shooting .45acp, however it seemed to have even less recoil than other 9mm's I have shot. Ran through all 200 rounds like castor oil through a goose butt. Not the first jam or hiccup, although I did have several casings bounce off my head when firing, and a couple even ejected to my left ???  Maybe some of you Glock armorers can tell me what happened there? I guess the gun needs to be broken in a little more, but I must say..

I like it!! I drifted the rear sight a little to the right to help compensate for my trigger pull, and we will see how it goes next time.

***Edited to say that I changed my avatar, sorry for any confusion!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Well put the sight back and work on taking the slack out of the trigger.  Sounds like you've got that figured out.   Next get an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:55:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Your shooting low left is not uncommon. Take the slack out of the trigger and use trigger reset. Watch the position of your finger on the trigger as well. Practice dry fire to get used to the trigger. And get more ammo, you'll need it. Congrats on your new pistol.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:51:18 AM EDT
[#12]
As the others have said; take the slack out of the trigger and use the reset.

As for the brass hitting you in the head, I think you need to get a case through it before you worry about it. My G17 was noticably tighter than my G19 when new.

What range did you go to?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
As the others have said; take the slack out of the trigger and use the reset.

As for the brass hitting you in the head, I think you need to get a case through it before you worry about it. My G17 was noticably tighter than my G19 when new.

What range did you go to?

I was taking the slack out of the trigger by pulling it back to where I started to feel resistance, then I would get the sight picture and try to squeeze until it broke. I tried different holds, etc. and still had the same problem.
I'm not sure what you mean by "resetting" the trigger though, can you explain that please?

Actually, I have had the same problem with every handgun I have shot. I drifted the rear sight on my 1911 also because I was hitting in the exact same place. I don't notice it on my .357, but I primarily cock it before shooting it and don't fire it double action.
This morning I was holding the hair dryer in the bathroom, and when I held it like a pistol and squeezed on the "trigger", I noticed it canted to the left.
Oddly enough, when I hold my empty hand out like I am holding an imaginary gun and try to move my trigger finger like squeezing a trigger, I notice that my other fingers move inward also. For whatever reason I cannot isolate my trigger finger from the rest of my grip.
Even if I hold all my fingers straight out and try to curl my index finger in, the other fingers will flex in also. As I am squeezing the trigger, my other fingers must be squeezing the grip as well pulling the gun to the left just as the trigger breaks.

Well, like another guy at the range said, at least I am consistant!! I was shooting some pretty good groups, just in the wrong spot!!

I figured the brass ejection was just a matter of break in, and I'm not really concerned about it as long as it keeps functioning fine.

I primarily shoot at Cedar Hill gun range in Danville, but sometimes shoot on my uncle's farm when I want to do some serious playing. The range is an OK place to shoot, and is the only range in the area.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:53:35 AM EDT
[#14]
What's that warning label on the mag say?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Did your G17 come with three reg cap mags?Lucky SOB!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:37:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Did your G17 come with three reg cap mags?Lucky SOB!

It is a blue label Glock, purchased under the LE discount.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
There will be no going back.  Congrats.

BS
I am selling 2 or all 3 to go back to 1911s  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top