Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Passed a benchmark today with the G44, I'm now at 10,246 rounds without ever cleaning it. I'm likely to continue running in, it seems the carbon only build up to a certain point and after that, it sort of plateaus. As I've said before, the tolerances with a Glock are large enough in my opinion that filth generally has minimal to no impact. I did continue to use that same lot of Blazer today, though. No squib but at least a under powered round (failure to extract) per mag. No big deal, working on trigger discipline, accuracy, AND malfunction drills.

I can't recommend this G44 enough. I've seen my skills progress throughout the 10k+ I've fired and continue to see progress. The very reason I even purchased the rig, let alone, the cost of ammunition. While everyone else at the rang is burning through precious 9mm and 5.56x45....I'm cruising away with my supply at approximately ~0.03-0.08/round.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#2]
+1, My proficiency has advanced exponentially using the G44 as a trainer for my Production class G17.

Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LampShadeActual:
Subie:  You may have noticed these days I just cheer you on as a fellow shooter in hard times.  I don’t necessarily agree or disagree anymore, just note the general value of high quality .22LR ammo.  You are having fun and that is a good thing.

The unanswered question is whether the cheap bulk ammo would run better starting with a cleaned gun, or put another way is the 7000 rounds of firing debris introducing failures that need not occur even with bulk ammo.

I think the difference in our outlook is that what you see as acceptable malfunction rates I would have a cow over.  That added with what happens to the slide sometimes like the OP's in the KaBoom thread combines to tell me I don't need one.

(You have always been free to make your "own" thread on dirty guns.  Note that your reliability experiment is just gun abuse to me.  You are in fact "shooting", but the accuracy/reliability/training value point was lost a long time ago.)

Vascar:  Like you, I have AA kits on their own factory frames.  Ammo quality, if I expect them to run, is 40 RNHS CCI MiniMags and CCI Blazer. 

Remington 40RNHS Golden Bullets are hotter than any CCI and strangely work well in cold weather. 

No 36 grain hollow point works.

In changing to SLIP2000 EWL for every thing I shoot, I have noticed with the AA kits that if the chamber is dry, it takes a magazine before the rounds stop short stroking.  If lightly oiled at the time the gun was cleaned, the first mag runs.  A clean chamber is clearly sticking to pressurized case walls retarding blow back.  Once the chamber is coated with powder residue, it lets the blow back operate quicker.  The EWL may be an extreme answer, but it is one damn good CLP.

Not oddly, none of the kits run dry.  None of the kits run too wet with a thick oil like the Lucas Extreme Duty series.  The Lucas gets thick in the cold.  The AA kits need a thinner slick lube.

Each runs better initially and for longer after cleaning if I thinly grease the center slide push rail where it rubs against the top round in the magazine.  Better blowback.

If that helps understand first mag failures, good.

If you want a simple way to prevent the last loaded round from being spit out the ejection port while the next to last fired round’s case is being ejected, PM me.

And yet in the midst of all the experimenting I have done with numerous semi auto pistols, the $219 Taurus TX22 just runs.  If the round fits in the magazine, it feeds.  If there is primer in the rim, it fires.  If it fires, it ejects.  At half the price, it works.  Another one is coming some where in back orders.

Works like the 22/45 Lites, Umarex copies of Colt and Berettas, Ruger tube receiver guns or the SR22, and the Smith 22C.  All cleaned, lubed, and fed the same way.  Essentially zero malfunctions.

This is only put out as an indication that across the .22LR spectrum, certain things work.  The more I deviate from cleaning every time I shoot a gun, using only “good” ammo, and selected lubes, the less well things run. I watched a grandkid run 200 rounds through a SR22 Sunday noon without a single malfunction.  Blazer 50 boxes.  I brought toys, my daughter and the kid shot, and in a few days, I’ll clean it.  Social distancing my own gun.  And from them which is virus normal these days.

Same with the AR15/22.  Ran mag after mag of Blazer, zero malfs.
View Quote

Before the Winchester bulk 555 caused malfunctions.  Now its Blazer that doesn’t run better than one malfunction per mag.

I think I should ask the same question I did before.

“The unanswered question is whether the cheap bulk ammo would run better starting with a cleaned gun, or put another way is the 7000 (now 10,000) rounds of firing debris introducing failures that need not occur even with bulk ammo.”

Marginal strikes on a rim fire primer contribute to slow ignition and velocity variables and short strokes and poor ejection.  A dry striker assembly, dirt therein, a rim not quite hard up against the barrel allowing debris to cushion the striker blow, a slide not quite all the way forward, dirty sticky chambers, other debris interferences, are as likely as “poor ammo.”

Scientifically there are so many variables to your malfunctions that declaring bad ammo is just a BS excuse for the obvious effects of a filthy gun from another point of view.

The only thing being proven is that the gun more or less half assed works dirty.

I would postulate it might well work reliably if clean and lubed each outing.  Its entirely possible your base line belief level in the 44’s quasi-reliability is being reduced by the filth rather than ammo variables.

I may yet have to buy one of the dam things and test crap ammo always beginning with a clean and lubed gun.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Subiescott:
Passed a benchmark today with the G44, I'm now at 10,246 rounds without ever cleaning it. I'm likely to continue running in, it seems the carbon only build up to a certain point and after that, it sort of plateaus. As I've said before, the tolerances with a Glock are large enough in my opinion that filth generally has minimal to no impact. I did continue to use that same lot of Blazer today, though. No squib but at least a under powered round (failure to extract) per mag. No big deal, working on trigger discipline, accuracy, AND malfunction drills.

I can't recommend this G44 enough. I've seen my skills progress throughout the 10k+ I've fired and continue to see progress. The very reason I even purchased the rig, let alone, the cost of ammunition. While everyone else at the rang is burning through precious 9mm and 5.56x45....I'm cruising away with my supply at approximately ~0.03-0.08/round.
View Quote

You probably have a G19/17? Get that thing out and see how you do now.

Appreciate your range reports.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Before the Winchester bulk 555 caused malfunctions.  Now its Blazer that doesn’t run better than one malfunction per mag.

I think I should ask the same question I did before.

“The unanswered question is whether the cheap bulk ammo would run better starting with a cleaned gun, or put another way is the 7000 (now 10,000) rounds of firing debris introducing failures that need not occur even with bulk ammo.”

Marginal strikes on a rim fire primer contribute to slow ignition and velocity variables and short strokes and poor ejection.  A dry striker assembly, dirt therein, a rim not quite hard up against the barrel allowing debris to cushion the striker blow, a slide not quite all the way forward, dirty sticky chambers, other debris interferences, are as likely as “poor ammo.”

Scientifically there are so many variables to your malfunctions that declaring bad ammo is just a BS excuse for the obvious effects of a filthy gun from another point of view.

The only thing being proven is that the gun more or less half assed works dirty.

I would postulate it might well work reliably if clean and lubed each outing.  Its entirely possible your base line belief level in the 44’s quasi-reliability is being reduced by the filth rather than ammo variables.

I may yet have to buy one of the dam things and test crap ammo always beginning with a clean and lubed gun.
View Quote

Edit: You should grab one.

I see where you’re coming from and might actually give the pistol a thorough cleaning, either my next range day or the one after that. I’ll definitely run a few boxes of the brands that have shown malfunctions here and there, I believe I’ve bought enough of each to where I can even run the same lot. I’ll have to check.

But in any event, I do believe the most recent Winchester and Blazer stuff to be a quality issues. It’s sporadic and not consistent. The mags of Winchester I threw down today were perfectly fine, just not as accurate as the Blazer. The Blazer on the other hand wasn’t as bad as I’m making it seem.

I haven’t really heard the argument about marginal strikes on the primer contributing to slow ignitions but it makes partial sense. Wouldn’t  poor primer compound and powder also contribute to this? Say, a machine that wasn’t even loading a case accurately? Anyway, the firing pin has put good hits on all rounds fired....so I’m not discounting what you’re saying. Debris in the firing pin channel or a sludge filled breach face can certainly cause function issues...I’m just not certain that’s solely it.

But like I said, I’m still playing around. The recent short strokes, underpowered rounds, and stove pipes are all too reminiscent of the Federal American Eagle stuff I used way back when the pistol was around ~2500ish. If I were to put money on any round that would have caused any issue, it would have been the standard velocity Armscor...and that stuff ran quite alright in terms of failure rate ratio versus other brands I’ve used.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:52:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By simple06:

You probably have a G19/17? Get that thing out and see how you do now.

Appreciate your range reports.
View Quote

Thanks, I enjoy tossing up opinions and experiences here. I’ve owned a G17 Gen4 in the past and currently run a G19 Gen5. I dig Glocks but not a fan of their triggers. One of the many reasons I grabbed a G44.

But yep, prior to the COVID deal I had started incorporating a few mags into my firing schedule. I’d usually drop 90 .22 rounds to 10/15 9mm.

With my G19 Gen5, I was printing quite well. Groups were tight and paper was being shredded, lol. So I can definitely attest, it works.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Off topic, but Good luck.

Just so its NOT like the LEO Third Generation Smith 4506, the third frame build version, that would NOT function clean.  Yes, clean.

Cleaned, lubed, and perfect Federal HydroShok 230.  Or any Ball.

The first round fired would leave the case in the chamber with a 1/4” section of rim torn off by the extractor and the slide trying to feed the next live round.  Clear the double feed.  Repeat, repeat, repeat.........

By the end of the first magazine or the second mag, it worked for the next 400 rounds.  But if cleaned, you started all over again.

Simple issue.  Slide weight, locking lug engagement geometry, and springs unlocked the gun while bullet still in barrel, pressure up, extractor tore rim off case that was stuck by pressure to the chamber walls.

This was the third 4506 in a row not working.  Never understood why people collect them.  Smith traded the gun for a piece of paper that said $MSRP on it.  I got a SIG P220 which worked better until the frame broke.  Thank Austria for the agency Glock 22 that replaced it.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Off topic, but Good luck.

Just so its NOT like the LEO Third Generation Smith 4506, the third frame build version, that would NOT function clean.  Yes, clean.

Cleaned, lubed, and perfect Federal HydroShok 230.  Or any Ball.

The first round fired would leave the case in the chamber with a 1/4” section of rim torn off by the extractor and the slide trying to feed the next live round.  Clear the double feed.  Repeat, repeat, repeat.........

By the end of the first magazine or the second mag, it worked for the next 400 rounds.  But if cleaned, you started all over again.

Simple issue.  Slide weight, locking lug engagement geometry, and springs unlocked the gun while bullet still in barrel, pressure up, extractor tore rim off case that was stuck by pressure to the chamber walls.

This was the third 4506 in a row not working.  Never understood why people collect them.  Smith traded the gun for a piece of paper that said $MSRP on it.  I got a SIG P220 which worked better until the frame broke.  Thank Austria for the agency Glock 22 that replaced it.

View Quote

Interesting, lol. That is certainly different, too large of tolerances?

A few mags shy of 11,000 rounds today, will probably clean sometime today or tomorrow but took a few more photos (some of same views as before, just more light) for the history books...

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#9]

A few mags shy of 11,000 rounds today, will probably clean sometime today or tomorrow but took a few more photos (some of same views as before, just more light) for the history books...

View Quote

Looking good!  Mine is only ~2,000 or so, running well so far.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]
So what's the consensus on the G44 being able to reliably run cheap bulk pack 36 and 38 grain 22LR?  I've read that it's pretty flawless with 40 grain stuff especially mini mags but I have a lot of federal and golden bullet cheap stuff.  If the G44 will run that stuff i'll probably buy one.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By luckydog1776:
So what's the consensus on the G44 being able to reliably run cheap bulk pack 36 and 38 grain 22LR?  I've read that it's pretty flawless with 40 grain stuff especially mini mags but I have a lot of federal and golden bullet cheap stuff.  If the G44 will run that stuff i'll probably buy one.
View Quote

It runs just fine, go back a few page and read my posts on the various ammunition.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#12]

It runs just fine, go back a few page and read my posts on the various ammunition.
View Quote

Looks like you've had pretty good luck but there are lots of reviews on youtube saying that it chokes on bulk pack ammo so just wondering what the deal is.

Do you know if you can put G19 or other glock sights on it?  I can't stand the standard glock plastic sights.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:15:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Looks like you've had pretty good luck but there are lots of reviews on youtube saying that it chokes on bulk pack ammo so just wondering what the deal is.

Do you know if you can put G19 or other glock sights on it?  I can't stand the standard glock plastic sights.
View Quote

To address the bulk ammunition, it really varies depending on the quality and consistency of the ammunition. But I've fired a TON of what many consider to be the bottom of the barrel (ie Remington Thunderbolt, all the Blazer flavors, Remington Golden bullets,etc) and it ran the majority exceptionally. I've had lots that ran amazing and I've had lots that had scattered malfunctions. .22LR is a rifle caliber adapted to a pistol format, therefore the velocity is going to be greatly reduced. The internet rumor mills truly do cast some hate toward the G44. It isn't like the thing refuses to fire bulk pack versus CCI Mini-Mag 40gr.....you really can only take the infamous youtubers with a grain of salt. I've seen garbage CCI Mini-Mags as well. But I wouldn't worry what so ever, there is nothing wrong with this pistol.

In terms of the irons...look back a few pages. I documented throwing on some Ameriglo Agent steel sights. Added like 2g (?) or so, I think. Funtion was not affected, I've got probably over 8000 rounds on them now without any cracked slide....drifting of rear....rotation of front....and on and on. Glock didn't like, it accepts steel sights. I'd just opt for a Gen5 compatible sight over anything else.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#14]
So I bought a new G44 at a LGS today.  Took it home, field stripped it to clean it and then reassembled it.  I noticed that the trigger pull was really heavy and the trigger was not resetting with a click.  The whole slide was pulling back on the frame during the trigger pull and would inch forward at the trigger break.  After I pulled the trigger and racked the slide the frame would remain out of battery until I let the trigger out then it would go into battery.  It was like the whole slide was resetting rather than just the trigger.

When I field stripped the slide again I noticed my safety plunger was crooked when I cocked the striker back manually and when I depressed it my firing pin was shooting forward which I don't think is normal as the floor sample in the store did not release the striker when the safety plunger was pushed down. It almost looks like the hole that the plunger sits in was cut a fraction too large so it can twist under spring tension.

I took back it back to the LGS and they were just as confused as I am so they are going to have their gunsmith look at it on Monday.  Brand new gun, never even fired, not off to a good start.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AHk3YRnxkzvT8Ha77

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#15]
D.O.A.

The striker block safety button Is cocked in its hole.  The trigger bar is hanging on it going both ways, back and forward.  Do not load it again.  No matter what some store tells you, its back to Glock, not a store unless the store wishes to swap for a good one.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#16]
D.O.A.

The striker block safety button Is cocked in its hole.  The trigger bar is hanging on it going both ways, back and forward.  Do not load it again.  No matter what some store tells you, its back to Glock, not a store unless the store wishes to swap for a good one.
View Quote

Is that a common problem on these 44's?  Never seen this before on any of the 9mm glocks i've owned.  Here's another pic from another angle, the safety plunger seems to be sitting too high as well like the spring is pushing it up too far.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2M4V4DF1Aifas4xF6

Luckily I did not shoot it even once, just took it apart and cleaned it up and noticed the problem.  Does Glock cover shipping both ways for these issues on a brand new gun?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes.  >——-<

What you cannot be sure of with the trigger bar dragging on the button is when the trigger bar might decide to release the striker on its own.

Something is wrong.  On a new unfired gun, the manufacturer should sort it out.  Or the retailer should trade it out and handle the problem.

Why does not matter. If the button can cock like that, the button and the hole do not match.  Mis-assembled, mis-made, it should never do that.

[Is the button just hanging there on it's spring or is it‘s travel limited so it cannot fall out.]

I ask because the Glock extractor holds the safety button in place.  It should fall out if misassembled.

[I don’t “think” it can be mis-assembled.  Sometimes the spring is fubar, but the button should be straight.  Note photo text.]

Notice below how Subie’s button barely sticks out.

Versus the new one that is cocked and sticks way out.

Not willing to guess on how it can mis-fit so badly not seeing the slide itself.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes.  >——-<

What you cannot be sure of with the trigger bar dragging on the button is when the trigger bar might decide to release the striker on its own.

Something is wrong.  On a new unfired gun, the manufacturer should sort it out.  Or the retailer should trade it out and handle the problem.

Why does not matter. If the button can cock like that, the button and the hole do not match.  Mis-assembled, mis-made, it should never do that.

[Is the button just hanging there on it's spring or is it‘s travel limited so it cannot fall out.]

I ask because the Glock extractor holds the safety button in place.  It should fall out if misassembled.

https://i.postimg.cc/Px226528/F7-DC4041-159-A-431-A-80-AF-A28-E3-F07-B908.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/D005R3Mp/72-DED4-D8-2212-4240-984-C-9-B5774-BE11-A1.jpg

[I don’t “think” it can be mis-assembled.  Sometimes the spring is fubar, but the button should be straight.  Note photo text.]

Notice below how Subie’s button barely sticks out.

https://i.postimg.cc/fRVpJpMh/765-BE36-F-6-CEF-42-A5-A882-AA77-B0-B6-BD68.jpg

Versus the new one that is cocked and sticks way out.

https://i.postimg.cc/ncRNVpbk/8209-B3-A3-EFC2-42-D2-805-F-03-C20078-BC18.jpg

Not willing to guess on how it can mis-fit so badly not seeing the slide itself.
View Quote

Interesting, did @luckydog1776 pull apart the firing pin & safety as part of his pre-use cleaning? Things break I guess.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes.  >——-<

What you cannot be sure of with the trigger bar dragging on the button is when the trigger bar might decide to release the striker on its own.

Something is wrong.  On a new unfired gun, the manufacturer should sort it out.  Or the retailer should trade it out and handle the problem.

Why does not matter. If the button can[OwO wats this?] like that, the button and the hole do not match.  Mis-assembled, mis-made, it should never do that.

[Is the button just hanging there on it's spring or is it‘s travel limited so it cannot fall out.]

I ask because the Glock extractor holds the safety button in place.  It should fall out if misassembled.

https://i.postimg.cc/Px226528/F7-DC4041-159-A-431-A-80-AF-A28-E3-F07-B908.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/D005R3Mp/72-DED4-D8-2212-4240-984-C-9-B5774-BE11-A1.jpg

[I don’t “think” it can be mis-assembled.  Sometimes the spring is fubar, but the button should be straight.  Note photo text.]

Notice below how Subie’s button barely sticks out.

https://i.postimg.cc/fRVpJpMh/765-BE36-F-6-CEF-42-A5-A882-AA77-B0-B6-BD68.jpg

Versus the new one that is cocked and sticks way out.

https://i.postimg.cc/ncRNVpbk/8209-B3-A3-EFC2-42-D2-805-F-03-C20078-BC18.jpg

Not willing to guess on how it can mis-fit so badly not seeing the slide itself.
View Quote

The safety plunger is definitely misaligned but not enough to pop out of the hole it sits in and not enough to where the extractor falls out.  To me it looks like the hole for the safey plunger is too big allow the plunger to go slightly crooked under tension.  It sits straight when the striker is not cocked.  We will see what the gunsmith/glock says.

On the gen 5 I don't think there's anyway to assemble the safety plunger/extractor wrong.  The safety plunger only fits in the cavity one way and same with the extractor.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#20]

The safety plunger is definitely misaligned but not enough to pop out of the hole it sits in and not enough to where the extractor falls out.  To me it looks like the hole for the safey plunger is too big allow the plunger to go slightly crooked under tension.  It sits straight when the striker is not cocked.  We will see what the gunsmith/glock says.

On the gen 5 I don't think there's anyway to assemble the safety plunger/extractor wrong.  The safety plunger only fits in the cavity one way and same with the extractor.
View Quote

I would agree, but sight unseen in the hand makes unwise for a conclusive guess.  I know you cannot put a Gen1-4 together wrong.  Round pins fit the round holes snuggly.

Bitch and get it replaced with a right fitting one.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#21]

I would agree, but sight unseen in the hand makes unwise for a conclusive guess.  I know you cannot put a Gen1-4 together wrong.  Round pins fit the round holes snuggly.

Bitch and get it replaced with a right fitting one.
View Quote

Agree, several people familiar with glocks at the LGS took it apart and reassembled it and had the same results so we'll see.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I'm an idiot, the spring cups were installed upside down putting more tension than normal on the spring.  It's fixed now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#23]
By upside down, I assume you mean backwards.

1).  Who the H took it apart before you bought it?  [As in tell me it came from Austria like that.]

2).  With the cups backwards, how could someone assemble it since the small end locks inside the spring coils?  Backwards, they should just fall off.

3).  Makes no sense to me.

4).  Bubba at work, I guess, but that is a lotta slop in the striker block hole.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#24]
By upside down, I assume you mean backwards.

1).  Who the H took it apart before you bought it?  [As in tell me it came from Austria like that.]

2).  With the cups backwards, how could someone assemble it since the small end locks inside the spring coils?  Backwards, they should just fall off.

3).  Makes no sense to me.

4).  Bubba at work, I guess, but that is a lotta slop in the striker block hole.

View Quote

It was completely on me, I wasn't paying attention when I took it apart and didn't put it back together correctly.  By backwards I mean upside down.  The skinny part of the spring cups were not sitting inside the spring (facing downwards) but were facing upwards.  There was enough spring tension to keep the cups on the striker even though the small ends didn't lock inside the coils.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#25]

My admiration for a straight answer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Mine has not been reliable with any ammo that I have used.  It is definitely better with Mini Mags but still jammed a few times in a box of 100.  I have tried CCI Standard Velocity, Winchester M22, Aguila SV and Federal Gold Medal HV and it generally stuffs the nose of the bullet into the top of the chamber.  I have about 600 rounds through it so far and I've been pretty disappointed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By milecreekmustang:
Mine has not been reliable with any ammo that I have used.  It is definitely better with Mini Mags but still jammed a few times in a box of 100.  I have tried CCI Standard Velocity, Winchester M22, Aguila SV and Federal Gold Medal HV and it generally stuffs the nose of the bullet into the top of the chamber.  I have about 600 rounds through it so far and I've been pretty disappointed.
View Quote

You may have either a) tighter recoil spring assembly and/or b) garbage ammunition lots. Try different lots of the same make/model and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I just hit 2000 rounds of CCI SV with only 2 FTC issues due to loading mags improperly.

Love this gun. Sorry others are having issues.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 5:49:44 AM EDT
[#29]

You may have either a) tighter recoil spring assembly and/or b) garbage ammunition lots. Try different lots of the same make/model and see how it goes.
View Quote

I guess I would lean toward the recoil spring. I doubt that all five brands of ammo that I used were bad.  Especially the CCI and Fereral GM.  I guess I’ll just keep shooting it for a while and see.   Anyone ever had any luck sending one back?
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#30]

I guess I would lean toward the recoil spring. I doubt that all five brands of ammo that I used were bad.  Especially the CCI and Fereral GM.  I guess I’ll just keep shooting it for a while and see.   Anyone ever had any luck sending one back?
View Quote

I would continue to run it.

And yeah, I mean it's a straight blow back style system so really the only variables would be ammunition or a stiff spring. Try a box or two of Stingers if you have it on hand to truly see what the deal is. If you have malfunctions with Stingers, it is likely a tough spring.

Email Glock though and see, I've recently been talking with them about my G44's progression and they've been awesome. Very responsive group.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:58:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Has anyone run a 4.5 pound striker spring and reduced safety plunger spring?  I installed those and a 3.5 ghost connector in my 44 but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.  The trigger feels a bit better but still worse than a stock 43/48/19.  If it chokes I'll put the stock parts in.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Mine has not been reliable with any ammo that I have used.  It is definitely better with Mini Mags but still jammed a few times in a box of 100.  I have tried CCI Standard Velocity, Winchester M22, Aguila SV and Federal Gold Medal HV and it generally stuffs the nose of the bullet into the top of the chamber.  I have about 600 rounds through it so far and I've been pretty disappointed.
View Quote

Mine was reliable on its first outing. Accuracy was spotty, but it's a .22 auto. What do you expect?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By FP2000H:

Mine was reliable on its first outing. Accuracy was spotty, but it's a .22 auto. What do you expect?
View Quote

You still running stock sights, though? They're fairly....eh ok....they are inaccurate. Swap to something else, mine is POA/POI solid....and that's without cleaning anything for 12.6k rounds. The buildup on the crown looks like an 85 y/o man's ear canal yet the thing still shoots spot on.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#34]

You still running stock sights, though? They're fairly....eh ok....they are inaccurate. Swap to something else, mine is POA/POI solid....and that's without cleaning anything for 12.6k rounds. The buildup on the crown looks like an 85 y/o man's ear canal yet the thing still shoots spot on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Mine was reliable on its first outing. Accuracy was spotty, but it's a .22 auto. What do you expect?

You still running stock sights, though? They're fairly....eh ok....they are inaccurate. Swap to something else, mine is POA/POI solid....and that's without cleaning anything for 12.6k rounds. The buildup on the crown looks like an 85 y/o man's ear canal yet the thing still shoots spot on.

Yes. Perhaps, it's the sights. Not sure what options I have seeing as how the slide is polymer. I guess I'm really just wondering about the rear sight install and how what effect pushing a metal sight in has on a polymer sight channel especially over repeated installs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Yes. Perhaps, it's the sights. Not sure what options I have seeing as how the slide is polymer. I guess I'm really just wondering about the rear sight install and how what effect pushing a metal sight in has on a polymer sight channel especially over repeated installs.
View Quote

Read a few pages back or look for my posts related to installing steel front and rear sights. Not only does the weight NOT impact anything, the steel rear sight does not damage the dovetail what so ever. Nor has mine drifted off my witness marks in 12.6k rounds. You'll be perfectly fine, drop the OEM sights. Many have said it doesn't have the ability to dope where your POA is at.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:12:48 AM EDT
[#36]
I picked mine up yesterday and fired 250 rounds through it.

It took me a little bit to get my brain switched on but once I got passed that I can see value in this pistol. Looking past the weight and recoil difference it shoots the same as my G19.5. This will be great to train with as it is MUCH cheaper to shoot.

With the way Glock does things I figure they will have this one out for a while, make the money off all the sales, and then release an MOS version.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:
I picked mine up yesterday and fired 250 rounds through it.

It took me a little bit to get my brain switched on but once I got passed that I can see value in this pistol. Looking past the weight and recoil difference it shoots the same as my G19.5. This will be great to train with as it is MUCH cheaper to shoot.

With the way Glock does things I figure they will have this one out for a while, make the money off all the sales, and then release an MOS version.
View Quote

Right? It's a great training aid without a doubt, especially considering ammunition cost. If I was shooting 9mm priced on a good day at 0.19/round, I would have burned over $2400. Let alone 9 is hard to come by at a sensible cost right now as it is.

I'm half tempted to sacrificially offer up my slide to that one dude (a bunch of pages back) I thought) if I would get a free Trijicon RMR in return. I'm not aware of anyone performing that level of mod on a G44 yet.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Has anyone mounted a micro red dot to their G44?  The only reference that I can find is the one over at Glock Talk.

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By KR20:
Has anyone mounted a micro red dot to their G44?  The only reference that I can find is the one over at Glock Talk.

View Quote

Got a link? Id like to get a second one and mount a red dot.

I am unsure it would work, have my eye on the new agency dot mount.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By xxspudxx:

Got a link? Id like to get a second one and mount a red dot.

I am unsure it would work, have my eye on the new agency dot mount.
View Quote

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/glock-44-optic-possible.1811178/
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#41]

Cool thanks. So a dovetail mount with a FF3 will work.

I have a FF3 that has been in a box for a while, nice!
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#42]
For that guy, yes.  I'm looking to see if anyone else has attempted it and if so the outcome.  My concern is that the dovetail is polymer and will the mount chew it up?

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By KR20:
For that guy, yes.  I'm looking to see if anyone else has attempted it and if so the outcome.  My concern is that the dovetail is polymer and will the mount chew it up?

View Quote

The dovetail is polymer, yes. Not aware of any steel in that area other than the rails and breach face region.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Had a chance to fire my 44 today, it was really surprisingly accurate. I could hit a penny size dot at 7 yards on the first try most the time.  I did notice when the mag was fully loaded the first round liked to jam into the feed ramp and not go in, if I loaded to 7 or 8 it was fine.  I had about 3 light primer strikes in about 200 with Federal bulk pack ammo.  I did change my striker spring to a 4.5 lb spring along with a reduced power safety plunger spring and a ghost 3.5 connector.  The pull feels very good, guessing around 3.5 lbs.  

I swapped back to the factory striker spring and fired about 40 rounds and they all went off but for a range toy I'll take a few FTF every few hundred for the much lighter trigger pull.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:35:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Few things, were you using Federal American Sagle the entire time? I’m also curious if you tried to fire those three light strike rounds, in my experience rounds fired down range on the second go around. Although in some cases you may have to rotate the round in the follower for a fresh hit.

As far as the rounds nosediving into the feed ramp, this has been seen before and deemed nothing concerning. I believe it to either be a) something out of spec with the case/rim, thus causing the rounds to stack inappropriately and or b) user error where the rounds were stacked rim on rim. To be honest I believe it’s a round spec issue. I’ve only ever had that problem you’re describing with a particular make and model round....and even at that....it’s very sporadic.

Glad you’re having fun with it though, mine is also pretty accurate.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:32:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Few things, were you using Federal American Sagle the entire time? I’m also curious if you tried to fire those three light strike rounds, in my experience rounds fired down range on the second go around. Although in some cases you may have to rotate the round in the follower for a fresh hit. 

As far as the rounds nosediving into the feed ramp, this has been seen before and deemed nothing concerning. I believe it to either be a) something out of spec with the case/rim, thus causing the rounds to stack inappropriately and or b) user error where the rounds were stacked rim on rim. To be honest I believe it’s a round spec issue. I’ve only ever had that problem you’re describing with a particular make and model round....and even at that....it’s very sporadic. 

Glad you’re having fun with it though, mine is also pretty accurate. 

View Quote

Not sure what type of federal it was a bulk pack and I tossed the packaging a long time ago.  I did not try and re-fire the round with light strikes but I did verify the case was dimpled.  As far as the nosedive, it's when the mag is full the nose of the last round isn't tilted up enough to make it up into the feed ramp and chamber.  Kind of have to press on the back of the case to try and get it pointed more up and then it will feed.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#47]

Not sure what type of federal it was a bulk pack and I tossed the packaging a long time ago.  I did not try and re-fire the round with light strikes but I did verify the case was dimpled.  As far as the nosedive, it's when the mag is full the nose of the last round isn't tilted up enough to make it up into the feed ramp and chamber.  Kind of have to press on the back of the case to try and get it pointed more up and then it will feed.
View Quote

Yeah I know what you mean with the top round angling wrong. That won’t always happen, let us know how things go with other brands of ammunition. Assuming you’re applying light pressure to the mag tabs as each round is loaded, you shouldn’t experience that problem...unless of course as I mentioned, a particular round is ‘out of spec’ as I call it. Winchester 36gr HPCP that comes in the ‘333’ and ‘555’ boxes is notorious for angling up on occasion for me. And part of the other issue is bullet type, more bare and open hollow points such as Winchester hang up on the ramp as well whereas a waxy lead round nose might rectify itself and continue to fully seat.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#48]
How are these pistols doing with subsonics? Expecting to get my 22lr can any day now and would love a glock to pair it with
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#49]
I picked up one of these plastic 44 and it felt like a toy gun to me. Can’t justify paying $400 for a plastic Glock when I can go out & pick up a mark 4 for or a buckmark for same price which I already have. No thanks. Maybe if they dropped the price a couple hundred.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How are these pistols doing with subsonics? Expecting to get my 22lr can any day now and would love a glock to pair it with
View Quote
You don't really need subsonic ammo out of a 4" barrel, even bulk pack HV is subsonic out of a short barrel.  So I can't answer you question directly as I don't pay more for subsonic's for mine.  What I can say is I am at 15k with most of that being CCI standard Velocity with no problems.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top