Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2017 11:16:14 PM EDT
Alright so I've jumped from the 1911 club and have climbed aboard the glock train. My first glock is a gen 3 19 and I've chosen to build it. I'm looking for advice on a few things. First thing is I'm thinking about restiplling it, with that being said I'm unsure as to if I want to get ride of the finger groves or not. Second what are some parts I should look in to. I'm pretty sold on a trigger from glock triggers I like how it oem just improved. Also a little advice wouldn't hurt. Thanks in advanced!
Nate
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me be the first unhelpful jerk to suggest that you just leave it stock.

Glock perfection, right?

I switch the sights out on mine, but leave the rest of it as is.

Hard to improve a gun that always runs, imo.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone selling a trigger that's made of OEM glock parts for $150 or more is nuts.
You can buy the parts yourself, polish and adjust to your liking, probably for about $50.
Connector, springs, etc.   And you'll learn a lot more that way.
Glocks are the simplest guns to work with.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:50:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Send your frame out and have it done by a pro

Try an aftermarket trigger, I suggest the overwatch Precision trigger, has np3 coated internals, retains all safeties, most companies use factory trigger bars

Get a Glock -(minus) connector

Get rid of finger grooves

Get a Wolff 6lb trigger return spring
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:05:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Alright so I've jumped from the 1911 club and have climbed aboard the glock train. My first glock is a gen 3 19 and I've chosen to build it. I'm looking for advice on a few things. First thing is I'm thinking about restiplling it, with that being said I'm unsure as to if I want to get ride of the finger groves or not. Second what are some parts I should look in to. I'm pretty sold on a trigger from glock triggers I like how it oem just improved. Also a little advice wouldn't hurt. Thanks in advanced!
Nate
View Quote

There are a couple of nice changes you can make.

1. Extended slide release. You will be surprised at the difference a couple of millimeters makes in ease of use.
2. Extended slide lock. This is the part that has jagged edges sticking out the sides of the lower that you must push downward to remove the slide. Again a couple of millimeters makes a lot of difference.
3. Sights. The standard Glock sights are quite good but I've really grown to like the AmeriGlo Combative Application Pistol Sights. The horizontal line on the rear sight makes sight alignment fast and easy. Be aware that the rear sight is *not* a tritium sight, though.
4. Trigger. I agree on the factory "-" connector and the "25 cent trigger job" (look it up on youtube)
5. I use stainless guide rods, but don't think they really make any difference.
6. There are plenty of cool rear slide plates with graphics or text. Mine quote a scripture: "Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no one to help"
7. The Gen 3 G19 is my preferred carry gun. I have a Streamlight TLR-1 HL weapons light on it.
8. There is a surprising amount of interchangeability in Glock parts. You may find that you have a preference for either the smooth or ribbed trigger. If so, changing the trigger is easy. Just stick with Glock OEM parts.

All that being said, you really can't go wrong with leaving it stock. If you do modify it, try and stick with factory parts.

One more thing. I've had my G19 so long that I don't recall whether it had the BTF (brass to face) issue, but if you find that your G19 is regularly bouncing brass casing off your head, look up "brass to face" Glock issue to find the fix. It's a simple matter of changing the ejector.

As far as the stippling goes, I leave mine alone but to each his own. Follow your own taste.

I hope this helps.

Edited to add:
Welcome to the Glock side of life! With only 38 parts (or so) you'll find that you can do virtually all mods, repair, and maintenance yourself and there are loads of youtube videos to help you out. The G19 is a surprisingly good shooter. Enjoy!

One more edit:
Right out of the box, the Gen 5 G19 has the sweetest Glock trigger (in terms of relatively light pull and clean break) I have ever experienced. I don't know if all the trigger parts fit Gen 3 G19 but if so, I'm definitely going to try it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 4:02:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Everyone is going to have a different opinion on the matter, so here is what I like personally.

- Night sights
- Ghost “Patrol” 4.5# connector
- Glock factory smooth trigger (I don’t like my triggers ribbed for her pleasure)

After this I’m done in most cases

I have had one G17 stippled by Kent at Polymer Refined, who IMHO was the best in the buisness.  Unfortunately he is no longer accepting work.  I had the finger grooves removed on mine and was very happy with the results.

Don’t go spending a lot of money on a trigger.  I have not been impressed by any of the high dollar custom triggers I have seen, and IMHO they are not worth the money.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#6]
TTI grand master kit for the trigger
tungsten guide rod(SS if you plan to shoot idpa) and #15 spring
Grab a gen5 to see if you like no finger groves I've done both and you don't notice a difference when shooting.
stipple yourself but practice on a pmag first
Get the slide milled do a ported or threaded barrel
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:04:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Figure out what you will spend on all those mods...Then just buy another Glock.  $.25 trigger job and a Zev spring kit makes a great trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top